Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .45 acp
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 .45 acp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  6:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have been fighting it but to no avail. I just have to have a .45 acp. The real stinker in this illness is which one do I want. I would like a wheel gun but the prices on these take it out of my range. So, leaving auto loaders as the only choice, I have been looking the S&W shield for its size and price, but as this is not going to be a full time carry piece. The 1911 is also on the list as is the Ruger American. Just too many to pick from. The Glock 21 is right in there along with a host of others.
On another note I was in a LGS today that had a couple Inland carbines for 650.00 or near about, have no real idea what is a good price for them.
I have some time to work out my problem so I will just keep looking.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

pochis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no shortage of models for sure, I just bought a colt government model.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  8:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, you have the gun buying bug I see... Good luck in your choice

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  8:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me there's another problem---why isn't there already a .45acp in your collection? That needs to be remedied--quick! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
781 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  9:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at the Glock 30 or 36?
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1017 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  9:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The short answer is 1-9-1-1. But if that's not your cup of tea, the offerings from HK, and SaW perform well.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - October 06 2017 :  10:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

Well, I have been fighting it but to no avail. I just have to have a .45 acp. The real stinker in this illness is which one do I want. I would like a wheel gun but the prices on these take it out of my range. So, leaving auto loaders as the only choice, I have been looking the S&W shield for its size and price, but as this is not going to be a full time carry piece. The 1911 is also on the list as is the Ruger American. Just too many to pick from. The Glock 21 is right in there along with a host of others.
On another note I was in a LGS today that had a couple Inland carbines for 650.00 or near about, have no real idea what is a good price for them.
I have some time to work out my problem so I will just keep looking.
Russ

Hi Russell, if you are getting a 1911 just buy a Colt. You will be happy in the long run. If you decide on some different platform it doesn't matter. Get the one you like and fits your hand. $650 is a good price for a real US GM made Inland. If it's an import ie. Blue Sky etc.;the price is average, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  04:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might add Springfield armory's XDm or the mod 2 I like mine

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Uncle Mike,.... I've never had a Colt that didn't work. I will also add that my second Ruger 1911 works flawlessly as well.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2938 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends upon which gun platform you like. But, if you like S&W M&Ps they make a very nice .45 ACP version. I have one of the first ones (4.6 inch barrel) and when I used it in IDPA it put some trophies on the wall.

I don't shoot .45 ACP in competition anymore (old wrists) so it sits... loaded with Federal 230 HST+P in my 'safe room'.

I pity the fool that gets that far into my home

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  2:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then of course there is the Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible..... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 08 2017 :  07:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Then of course there is the Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible..... Ace

Now that is one I had forgotten. I like it.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - October 08 2017 :  09:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you want a 1911 take a look at the S&W 1911 E series

the E did away with the redundant firing pin safety and uses the larger extracter from the custom shop gun

a lot of 1911 for the money

hard too beat the M&P .45 too

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 08 2017 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try not to make recommendations, since guns are like people and are individuals.

I have a good many 1911 style guns but the other day I ran into a used 1911 made in Turkey. These seems to enjoy a fair reputation and this thing was $280! I almost bought it though I have little use for yet another .45 Auto. I forget the name on these but they do look OK.

I would not totally give up, a deal shows up every now and then on a good revolver. Especially on a 1917 or the later 1937 S&W Brazillian contract, though they surely are increasing. I did buy a used 625 at Gander Mtn. a while back for $525.

One of the most overlooked revolver loads I know is a hand-loaded .45 Auto Rim - it is easy to get super accurate 260 gr bullet to 1100 fps by seating the bullet out longer and using slow powder (too slow to load in the normal 1.25 OAL).

I've seen a LOT of the Ruger SR1911s on the range they seem to work fine as to most 5" Springfield Armory guns.

When I had the shop we sold a good many ATI guns - those I probably would avoid we had several break small parts and one the chamber was so bad the barrel had to be replaced. They do look good and are well fitted.

If one has not tested the waters, and it is difficult today with guns costing so much, I would recommend getting Patrick Sweeney's books on the 1911 (find them used and get a deal).

One of them covers all sorts of the clones in a very thorough test. I cannot recall whether it is volume 1 or volume 2 that has the tests of a variety of makes.

I know and trust Patrick, he ranks among a handful of authors I do trust, like Evan Marshall and Tom Givens and a few others.

Patrick told me that in the many thousands of rounds fired in testing all those he had 1 stoppage (and I think it was with the gun submerged in muddy water).

I had a tiny part in the 3rd book, "1911 the first 100 Years" in putting Patrick in touch with a friend who owns 4 of the Savage .45s used in the 1907 trials.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on October 08 2017 10:11:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 08 2017 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

I guess it depends upon which gun platform you like. But, if you like S&W M&Ps they make a very nice .45 ACP version. I have one of the first ones (4.6 inch barrel) and when I used it in IDPA it put some trophies on the wall.

I don't shoot .45 ACP in competition anymore (old wrists) so it sits... loaded with Federal 230 HST+P in my 'safe room'.

I pity the fool that gets that far into my home

Plastic guns don't appeal to me a lot but I'd have to second that one - I have two of them and other than a stoppage in the 1st one very early on they are both good reliable guns.

I'd surely look for a 2.0 though - they fix all of the complaints I had with my first one (heavy trigger, "slippery" - but both those things can be fixed).

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 08 2017 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

if you want a 1911 take a look at the S&W 1911 E series

the E did away with the redundant firing pin safety and uses the larger extracter from the custom shop gun

a lot of 1911 for the money

hard too beat the M&P .45 too

Second that one as well - Sometimes I forget I have one but it has worked well and does away with the useless FPS. That and the standard S&W are the only guns with external extractors I have not had a problem with (and yes I've seen Glocks have extractor problems - when they chip). I've had to fix several Sig 1911s with external extractors.

Then again I have never had a problem with the original internal extractor other than 1 broken due to shooting old steel cased ammo I did not lube. I have seen problems with the Para Ord "X" model extractor and they cost about $100 to replace!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - October 09 2017 :  02:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a Colt Defender .45ACP to add to my collection of 1911's. So far it has been flawless. My latest 1911 is a Ruger Commander size 1911 in 9mm. I haven't used it yet and the fit and finish are really nice. Both quality pistols. Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1039 Posts

Posted - October 09 2017 :  08:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own and like the Beretta PX4 (recent rendition made for the military competition to select a .45 for military special ops). Has 5.5" bbl, 10 and 9 rd magazines, shoots comfortably and well.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 13 2017 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a line on a springfeild full size 1911 for 450.00 bucks. If it pans out Iwill take it. Going to the dark side I guess.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - October 13 2017 :  8:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, padawan. Just relax and let it happen. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - October 14 2017 :  12:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

have a line on a springfeild full size 1911 for 450.00 bucks. If it pans out Iwill take it. Going to the dark side I guess.
Russ

Hi, is this one of the early ones, plain jane with plastic grips? If so you should know they do not have the grip escutcheons staked and need trigger work. At least the last 20 I've seen. I shouldn't assume but the price leads me to that conclusion, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 14 2017 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:

Russ

Hi, is this one of the early ones, plain jane with plastic grips? If so you should know they do not have the grip escutcheons staked and need trigger work. At least the last 20 I've seen. I shouldn't assume but the price leads me to that conclusion, regards, Mike

I don't know, I have not seen it yet.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - October 14 2017 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russ it's not a big problem I have two. Replacing the grips the escutcheons came out. They are supposed to be staked and I couldn't remove the grip screws and escutcheons from the grips. I finally just got new ones. Just so you are aware even though it's not critical to function, regards, Mike

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 15 2017 :  09:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Russ

Not at all Russ - you are stepping into the light!

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war." - Revelations 19:11

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - October 15 2017 :  11:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Russ it's not a big problem I have two. Replacing the grips the escutcheons came out. They are supposed to be staked and I couldn't remove the grip screws and escutcheons from the grips. I finally just got new ones. Just so you are aware even though it's not critical to function, regards, Mike

have had the same problem with Colts

just blue lock tight them if stacking is a problem

grip screws are one of the down sides to the 1911, loose grip screws don't happen with "plastic" frame guns

be sure to carry a flat tip screw driver if you ever travel with one, and avoid hex head grip screws unless you always got an allen wrench on you

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  12:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gw, glad to say this has not been my experience with Colts. Brownells sells a staking tool for $30, regards, Mike

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.3seconds. Snitz Forums 2000