StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .22 lubricant and solvents.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 .22 lubricant and solvents.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ajt

USA
201 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got out my wife's SR22 to take it to the range and found that the chambered round was stuck and would not extract. I pushed the round through from the muzzle and inspecting the round found that there was some kind of hardened material where the bullet met the chamber. It appears to be the bullet lubricant and I suspect that it mixed with a drop of CLP missed when cleaning the barrel, and congealed and dried there. I do have the habit of, when I'm not going to be using a firearm for awhile, to run an oiled patch down the bore before storing it - don't know where I picked up on doing this but I always have. Normally that would not have applied in this situation but I remember my wife asking if she couldn't have this handgun in place of the model 10 that resides in her dresser drawer, As we are not aging well, it has become too much for her to handle. I made sure that she thoroughly understood how to work the SR22 and it became hers, loaded with CCI Stingers. I could see the marks on the cartridge where the extractor kept riding over it while trying to extract it. I am now thinking of getting a small .22 revolver in its place. I know its not optimal but at least she would have something for self defense. Anyone ever run into this problem? Any recommendations for a .22 revolver or suggestions for a different 'bedside' handgun for her? Unfortunately, with her limitations, it will have to be light, and light recoiling. She has an arm and shoulder injury from an auto accident that limits her shooting abilities, even the normal recoil of a .38 using her 'good' arm, effects the other.

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The S&W 317 .22LR 'Kit Gun' might be a workable choice if you can afford it: 8 shots, 3" barrel, hi-viz front sight, its 25 oz weight would keep recoil to a minimum. I'm seeing them on Gunbroker for around $635 + shipping.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on October 05 2017 09:05:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
771 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might suggest a Ruger LCR in .22 lr. or magnum. The action is superb.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4948 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect my wife to want the same transition in the foreseeable future, so I get where you're at. Since one of the knocks on rimfire ammunition is the less certain ignition, a revolver looks like a top choice. We'll probably be looking at a Ruger LCR or J-frame S&W in about the 3" barrel range. I've read that these little poppers come with fairly heavy triggers, so some experimentation with premium ammo and aftermarket springs might be in order.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4948 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three similar posts in a seven minute period. All great minds think alike??

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Ruger's quite a bit lighter at 15 oz vs 25 oz for the Smith.

Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
771 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO the Ruger has a smoother, lighter trigger pull.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2864 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on the Ruger. I would also note that if an unloaded gun is put up for storage then a light coat of oil in the barrel/chamber is OK.

When loaded for use, however, that oil MUST be removed! Oil in a chamber, especially with a rimfire, is a malf waiting to happen.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4964 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  12:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taurus makes a decent-quality 9-shooter, I believe in both LR and Magnum. One of those, with a 4" barrel (to give some velocity help to the round) with Velocitors in LR or CCI 40gr HP in Magnum would be good choices, if she must go with .22.

Charter Arms also makes a similar model. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3875 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  12:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had problems recently with a couple S&W .22 Kit Guns.

it appears that the lubrication on the lead bullet of these Remington promotional loads had broken down in storage. rounds wouldn't chamber or mis fire, they also wouldn't extract.

the same ammo worked somewhat better through an automatic, but still less than optimum.

that ammo in good condition or plated ammo works fine through both guns.

I don't see rimfire revolvers as all that more relable.

if tied to a .22 I'd get a good full size target automatic and use plated premium ammo

better yet I'd try full wadcutters in your M10 or a full size .380 or .32

too many downsides to rimfire ammo

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

cwhart
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely take a look at the Ruger LCR or LCRX. Both are 8 shot in 22lr and 6 shot in 22wmr. The LCRX can also come with a 3" barrel and the longer grip without finger grooves which might be preferable if concealment isn't an issue.

Ruger also has the gp100 and sp101 in 22lr, 10 shot with a 5.5" barrel and 8 shot with a 4.2" barrel, respectively. Those might be bigger and heavier than what you want though. I also imagine the trigger pull might be "easier" on one of the LCRs.

To be fair I have not shot any of these revolvers in rimfire calibers, just going by my impressions from my 357 and 38 versions.
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
201 Posts

Posted - October 05 2017 :  7:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the local gun shops is having Ruger Days this weekend. Will have to check it out. Found the 317 actually in stock at two other shops via the gun genie. Now all I have to do is get the wife to go with me - sort of like getting me to go through the home accessories stores with her, only worse!
Thanks for all the info, input, and suggestions.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000