Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - TNOutdoors9 on YouTube
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 TNOutdoors9 on YouTube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheQuietMan

USA
83 Posts

Posted - September 26 2017 :  4:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to me that:

The Underwood loading of the 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot to +P+ pressures drove the projectile to 13 inches and expanded to point 70 in gel;

while the Speer factory loading of the .45ACP 230 grain Gold Dot at standard pressure drove the projectile to 12.5 inches and expanded to point 70 in gel.

Wound channels were vastly different (.45).....

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - September 28 2017 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That fellow is a really nice guy and he does try to be pretty consistent.

However, I don't particularly pay much attention to the damage a bullet does to gel since flesh and internal organs is much more "stringy" and resist tearing much more.

I suppose the penetration and expansion of the bullet does have some validity.

I've not shot anything with a Gold dot .45 but I recovered a federal HST from a deer - it expanded to over .9". I've recovered 7 230 Hydra-shoks - they went from .75 to .85"

I did recover a 125 Gold Dot from a small pig a farmer wanted me to shoot - it was fired from a 5" 9X23 handloaded to over 1600 fps - it "deformed" rather than expanded but the average diameter was around .6

It penetrated about 9" but was stopped by a large bone (it did not break the bone) - I suspect it would have gone deeper had it not encountered the bone.

The largest jacketed hollow point .35 caliber bullet I've recovered was a Federal classic 147 JHP which expanded to .64" in a small button buck.

It is possible though that a Barnes 140 gr VorTX from a 6" .357 expanded bigger but I was unable to recover the bullet - it exited with enough force that it killed a small deer on the other side of the one I was shooting at

Just Ramblin'

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on September 28 2017 10:19:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4365 Posts

Posted - September 28 2017 :  6:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

That fellow is a really nice guy and he does try to be pretty consistent.

However, I don't particularly pay much attention to the damage a bullet does to gel since flesh and internal organs is much more "stringy" and resist tearing much more.

I suppose the penetration and expansion of the bullet does have some validity.

I've not shot anything with a Gold dot .45 but I recovered a federal HST from a deer - it expanded to over .9". I've recovered 7 230 Hydra-shoks - they went from .75 to .85"

I did recover a 125 Gold Dot from a small pig a farmer wanted me to shoot - it was fired from a 5" 9X23 handloaded to over 1600 fps - it "deformed" rather than expanded but the average diameter was around .6

It penetrated about 9" but was stopped by a large bone (it did not break the bone) - I suspect it would have gone deeper had it not encountered the bone.

The largest jacketed hollow point .35 caliber bullet I've recovered was a Federal classic 147 JHP which expanded to .64" in a small button buck.

It is possible though that a Barnes 140 gr VorTX from a 6" .357 expanded bigger but I was unable to recover the bullet - it exited with enough force that it killed a small deer on the other side of the one I was shooting at

Just Ramblin'

Jim H.

FWIW, the Lucky Gunner chrono'd these at 1169 fps (avg of 5 rds) from a 2" barrel Kimber K6S and 1352 fps from a 4" Ruger GP-100.

Expansion in gel was .66" for the slower bullet, .62 for the faster. Looking at the pics, the slightly-smaller diameter of the faster bullets was due to the fact that the 'petals' had folded back more.

Gel penetration averaged 17.5" for the slower and 19.2" for the faster.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on September 28 2017 6:45:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - September 29 2017 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That is quite common. The largest Remington .357 magnum 125 JHP I ever recovered from flesh was about .53" (but I'd point out, none of us shoots enough to run into all examples of what can happen) - it was apparent that most of the front half had been lost and the jacket had folded back on itself.

I've had that bullet exit a deer that field dressed 60 lbs (so maybe 85-90 lbs live wt) with minimal damage to the lungs. I don't really think it failed to expand but I think it blew off most of the lead in the first couple of inches and then was basically a "solid" that passed on through. It was fried from an 8" revolver and the deer was 25 yards away.

Sometimes faster is just not the answer - but it depends on the bullet design.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000