Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Local Wal-Mart Incident
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Local Wal-Mart Incident
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3937 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About an hour ago, I was in the Riverdale, Utah Wal-Mart Supercenter, attempting to purchase some handgun ammunition. Unfortunately, the very surly female "department manager" according to her name tag "Steph", demands I give her my DOB and verify it by showing my state Drivers License. I told her that there is no legal requirement here in Utah that I do that, I was rudely informed by "Steph", that. (... the computer demands I get it and verify it, or, I can't and won't sell you the ammunition!")
Clearly, I am "old enough", in spite of what my eyes tell me,and legally there is zero legal requirement for that information input in Utah.
Clearly, I will never ever set foot in a Wal-Mart ever again.
Demanding my personal DOB and demanding to verify it from my drivers license may well be WalMarts new "policy", but, my personal privacy pr vents me from ever setting foot into any WalMart or Sams Club fed again.
Oh, and the store manager told me, "Its a new policy."
OK! My "new policy", is that no matter what, Wal -Mart will never get another dime from me, and I will be sharing my experience on all th social media sites I can

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if that 'new policy' applies to all Walmarts, or just that one store?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  4:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are requird to verify age, but I think there is an override for customers clearly of legal age, at least they use it around here.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

skyrock
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe in Minnesota it's a state law that they have to ask your age. I passed the minimum age for ammunition when Johnson was in office.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4909 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I can, I'll try one or two of the local stores here tomorrow--no promises. If they want all that nonsense from me, the last money I'll spend there will be a couple of gift cards that have been riding the vest pocket for a couple of years.

Oh, and I'll report back here. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  8:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Walmart is any cheaper than the deals you can find online?

If you watch Ammoseek for the particular rounds you're interested in, sometimes a good deal will show up. You can even 'save' searches for particular round, and/or have Ammoseek alert you when a new offering shows up.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on September 13 2017 8:33:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
199 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  3:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to bother you just may want to contact corporate and voice your complaint. If enough irate customers or former customers do that they just may change that "new policy". I wouldn't hold my breath though.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4909 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My report: I stopped at one of our stores, picked up a box of .38's. In front of me was a gentleman probably a bit older than me. He was buying some ammo, .22 I think, and when the young guy at the counter asked his date of birth, he said 'I think I'm old enough to buy this.' The kid chuckled and rang him up--no birth date given. My turn came, the kid asked my birth date. I asked him why, he said the computer needs it. I told him no, they don't, and he said it had to go in in order to sell the ammo. I [politely] told him to keep the ammo, I'd buy off the internet. He said he was sorry I was unhappy; I told him I wasn't mad at him, but that's a bad store policy. He kinda sorta agreed, and we parted amicably.

Later I stopped at Academy to look for a scope base, which I found. Danged if there wasn't a bunch of .22 Short Hollow Points on the counter at a not bad price. I took some of that and the base to the front to check out, and asked the register kid if he was going to ask for a birth date (I had already decided that if he did, I would say something like April 7, 1915). He said he was supposed to, but because I looked old enough, he just made one up; told me I am now one year younger than him. The computer also asked for a zip code, which I don't mind giving out. I asked him what they're keeping track of with all the birth date stuff, he said he didn't know about that, but the zip code was just a marketing thing to let Headquarters know if they need to build a new store somewhere.

Upshot is, I still have a few bucks left on one of my WallyWorld gift cards, think I'll go in soon and get a pair of polarized sunglasses I forgot to pick up; after that, it will have to be a real necessity before I'll go back. I doubt if I can stop Momma, though; she's not as sensitive as I am about these things. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  6:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least they're still selling ammo....

Sounds like something 'Walmart corporate' decided to do to make sure none of their cashiers sells ammo to an underaged person--- rather than relying on individual cashiers to use their common sense. Maybe their lawyers recommended it to minimize liability; or their PR people recommended it to show the public how 'safety-conscious' they are.

I'm guessing the 'enforcement' of it probably varies from store to store, manager to manager, and cashier to cashier. Cashiers with any sense are gonna do what Ace's did: plug in a number just to move things along, when it's clear that the buyer is old enough. Cashiers who are sticklers for procedure--- or whose manager insists on it--- will do like Malcolm's did, and stop and do it every time, no matter how obviously-unnecessary it might be.

Either that--- or Malcolm's discovered the location of the long-sought-after Fountain of Youth--- maybe somewhere out in the Utah desert?--- and hasn't made up his mind whether to share that information with the rest of us....

Edited by - LittleBill on September 14 2017 6:40:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
816 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skyrock, given some of us that are on this site, you might want to specify which "President Johnson" you were referring to.

Wonder what they'd do if you gave them a birth date off by 100 years or so. Anyone have the zip code for Wally World HQ?

Edited by - WR Moore on September 14 2017 6:47:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3937 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  7:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LB,
What or how many hairs I have left, are definitely grey some are silver, and no, I've not found that elusive "fountain of youth(or truth)", everyone seems to be fascinated with.
I like giving them Wal-Mart Corporate's zip code, phone number, and I'll sure if I felt like it, I could get the DOBs, of WalMART main shareholders and Directors from their public filings in the SEC web site.
I just didn't feel like swiping my card and having to show the "manager cretin" my proof of age from my state issued IDs. It's not like I was trying to get through TSA security or anything...but ammo elsewhere for a dollar more per box, and nobody asked me for my DOB or demanded to see my ID.
No more WalMart for me, not ever. I highly doubt WalMwrt customer service at Corporate gives a rip if I am complaining about their intrusive attempts to violate my personal privacy.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you. But if enough people complained--- and told them they were taking their business elsewhere--- who knows?

I expect they could care less about anyone's privacy rights; but what they do care about is their bottom line. If enough of their customers 'voted with their feet'--- and told them they were doing so, and why--- they might decide to ease up.

But that's not likely to happen. I agree: Walmart CS would no doubt 'file' your complaint in their shredder, and move on to 'serve' someone else without giving it a second thought.

Buying ammo on the internet is so doggone convenient, it's the only way I shop for ammo anymore. Not to mention the fact that Walmart doesn't carry a lot of the rounds I'm after. And even when they've got what I'm looking for at my local gun store, it's almost always super-expensive compared to the internet.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 14 2017 7:55:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

skyrock
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  10:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

Skyrock, given some of us that are on this site, you might want to specify which "President Johnson" you were referring to.

Wonder what they'd do if you gave them a birth date off by 100 years or so. Anyone have the zip code for Wally World HQ?

Well...I believe Even is older than I am...I think!
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1016 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  06:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I turned 21 in Eisenhower's second administration, but about a year ago I bought some chewing tobacco in Virginia and had to show proof of age driver's license. I questioned cashier and she said it was state law, and that if I looked ancient and came in a wheel chair I still had to show proof of age. I doubt it was a state requirement, and I believe it was just a busybody cashier. There are busybodies everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  07:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's part of the register software, no grand conspiracy

you have minimum wage hires pushing buttons on a screen, when you deviate from the required format they don't know how to contiinue. the computors requires an entry.

the ATF sets the age requirement, Walmart is attempting to ensure it's employees follow the process

you want to confuse someone, ask a McDonalds employee to alter the corporate menue. if it ain't one of the pictures on the touch screen they are lost.

you also must provide proof of age if your buying ammo on line by the way...

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

it's part of the register software, no grand conspiracy

you have minimum wage hires pushing buttons on a screen, when you deviate from the required format they don't know how to contiinue. the computors requires an entry.

the ATF sets the age requirement, Walmart is attempting to ensure it's employees follow the process

you want to confuse someone, ask a McDonalds employee to alter the corporate menue. if it ain't one of the pictures on the touch screen they are lost.

you also must provide proof of age if your buying ammo on line by the way...

Not exactly.... you have to check a box stating that you're over 18; but I wouldn't call that providing proof of age, since a 13-year-old could do it and the online seller wouldn't have any way of knowing the difference.

But I certainly agree with everything else you say: all part of the dumbing-down of America we can see happening all around us.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 15 2017 08:53:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been a while, but in the past i had to provide a copy of my drivers license

Illinios residents have to provide a copy of their FOID card

per the ATF you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo, 18 don't cut it

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4909 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  09:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the time we sold cigarettes at the bait/tackle/archery shop I worked at, the State decided that if the buyer didn't look to be at least 27yoa, we were required to ask for ID to prove they were at least 21. Bureaucrat thinking at a high level. Ace

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4901 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  10:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bureaucrats, politicians, and corporate executives are driven by an inner need to make rules for others to obey. Sensible of not.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  12:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
age limits haven't stopped thugs from getting guns in Chicago, most are under age and buy illegal guns. markets so good, burglarising gun stores is on the up swing

when i was a kid i could go up to the local hardware store and buy .22 ammo. the old guy that owned the joint knew my dad, i bet he got an ok from him first. he'd sell me rimfire by the round, i think a nickle got me a dozen rounds, usually lasted me a couple weeks of squirrel hunting .

course i had a .22 pistol when i was 12 and never did a drive by.....

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
679 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember walking a couple of miles to the corner store as a kid collecting empty soda bottles along the way and turning the bottles in for their deposit (2 cents a piece) and buying .22 LR shells for fifty cents a box. No one asked anyone's age. But then, I believe it was pre '68.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4909 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  9:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brother tells about when he was a kid, for 10 cents you could dip your hand into a bucket full of .22Shorts and take as many as you could hold in your closed fist. He'd collect bottles and do odd jobs to earn the dime, then head to the hardware store. After a while, the owner called him over and told him 'Next time have your dad come in; his big hands hold a lot more.'

Pre-Junior High age, my allowance was $1.00 a week. .22's at the time were $.49 a box, with a penny tax. Lotsa times I told Mom I didn't want the money, just stop and get me two boxes. I'd shoot one up playing---er, practicing, and hold the other for squirrel season. After a summer of doing that, I was well prepared to pester the tree rats. Kinda in the same position today--got more ammo than money. Ace

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 15 2017 :  11:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were good days! Gone, but not forgotten....

There may be some kids today who are fortunate enough to experience something similar... but not that many...

Total change of subject: something I just discovered: on Ammoseek, you can set an 'alert' so that you're automatically notified when a particular round is offered below a certain price, whatever price you choose. Day before yesterday I 'picked up' 4 boxes of .40 S&W 140-gr Corbon DPX for $27 a box from Lucky Gunner--- their total supply--- after having been 'alerted' they were there.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 15 2017 11:43:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1278 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  02:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a good friend who is the manager of the Rock Springs Wyoming store he tells me that he can't get any ammo they stopped giving him SKU numbers to order. I get the feeling that corporate is trying to get out of the ammo and gun business in other words there are more Democrats running the store. I may have to move my prescriptions.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4901 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  07:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandaidman

I have a good friend who is the manager of the Rock Springs Wyoming store he tells me that he can't get any ammo they stopped giving him SKU numbers to order. I get the feeling that corporate is trying to get out of the ammo and gun business in other words there are more Democrats running the store. I may have to move my prescriptions.

Arkansas. The Waltons. The Clintons. This goes way back.

Mainly I avoid Wal-Mart because of what they've done to the small town Mom and Pop stores.

If Wal-Mart gets out of the firearms business, that can only help the local gun shops, another endangered species.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on September 17 2017 08:03:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  09:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walmart is target for liberal lawyers, truth is many low income people rely on Walmart's prices and jobs

the problem with gun and ammo sales for Walmart seems to be the risk of civil lawsuites if a gun they sell is used illegally. a mass shooting with one of the ARs they sell would be national news just like that.

employees don't like the hassel of the process, most of them are untrained and unable to understand the whole ordeal

frankly don't know why they haven't dopped guns already

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000