Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - N-Frames
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 N-Frames
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Olddog84

USA
584 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  10:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a little love for old N-frames? I was pulling some of my collection out that hadn't seen any light recently and fell on my Model 24 4" that was part of that run in the 80's. It has the best, smoothest double action trigger of any S&W I have ever tried. I slapped some pretty Culina grips on it and load it with some Taffin "Skeeter" loads pushing a 250-260 Gr. Keith bullet at 900 or so FPS for some old fashioned fun at the range. Comfortable and smacks whatever you are shooting with some authority. To me, the 4" adjustable sighted N frame has dead sexy look to it, rivaled only by the 4" Python. How about the forum, what is your favorite N-frame?
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4901 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4" 25-5 (.45 Colt), Mag-Na-Ported and action job by the late Larry Kelly's custom shop. Bought used, mint condition, for $350 some years back.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile, 3-1/2" M27s are selling on Gunbroker for upwards of $1800....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  12:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a pre 24 1950 target in the safe

It got retired to collector status and I found a 21-4 Thunder Ranch to shoot .44 special in. folks that don't like the new mim lock guns don't know diddly. the 21-4 has all the durability enhancements of the newest M29s ( longer stop notch, radiused frame pins, etc.), they also use a cylinder with the same heat treat as the m29 magnums, they are some of the strongest .44 specials S&W made and should be able to handle any sane spcial load.

someone just gifted me a M58 classic, I haven't loaded .41 magnum for a long time but this one looks like fun.

I also have both a 3.5" and a 5" m27. they make a better .357 than either the K or L frame to me (that could start a fight). they are about the same weight as the L frame and will run the K frame into the dirt with reloads that approach the original .357 ammo, ammo that approaches factory .41 magnum and can knock down any big game in north America.

but the N-frame that gets used the most around here is a 4" 629. stainless steel and light weight it's an easy belt gun for a magnum. A bit too light for the real thumper .44 magnum loads but handy to carry all day.

I never met an N frame S&W I didn't like. I've traded Pythons and New Service Colts to get them....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on September 14 2017 02:09:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
912 Posts

Posted - September 13 2017 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My N-frames are all in calibers that begin with 4. A six inch 629, a four inch Mountain Gun, a four inch pinned and recessed 29, and two model 58s. I like them all and will not sell any of them, but the one that spends the most time in my holster is my first model 58.

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
584 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  07:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big props to the 41 magnum from me too. I have been handloading it for some time: if you like to hand load the 41 check out GT bullets, he makes some really nifty 41's. I have a bunch of the 215gr. SWCHP bullets he makes and his 240 gr. Keith SWC as well. They are good quality and make great looking and performing rounds. As a matter of fact I buy all of my cast bullets from either GT or Rim Rock and they are both great bullets and the companies give great service.
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34023 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  08:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I start to talk about N frames I'll have to call Suicide Prevention.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
99 Posts

Posted - September 14 2017 :  11:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite? The M28 Highway Patrolman that was getting loose and so instead of getting the work done I sold it to a friend at local club. Dumb dumb dumb.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1621 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first and favorite was a Nickeled Model 25 I bought new in 1985 for 400 clams. I read an article by some Sgt. in Detroit who spoke highly of it. Still have it too. Great caliber and weapon.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2798 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite... a 629 Classic Hunter .44 Mag. 6.5 inch barrel with built in compansator (circa 1986).
It was stainless steel finish but I had it covered in black oxide. I could never understand the point of wearing camo to the hilt, sneaking through a swamp in search of a nice 'dinner hog' and then pulling a 'neon sign' from my shoulder holster.
Art Leckie (now sadly passed) did the action work. Lovely 8.5 DA and 2.5 SA. He also installed a Weaver rib on top with Millet red ramp/rear white iron sights that I can use with the rib. But, the rib lets me mount a scope or red dot. Most of my hog/deer hunting was with a 1-4x Burris pistol scope.
3.5 inch groups at 100 yards from a bench.
It's a safe queen now, but I can't bear to part with it. It is a very unique custom gun.
Of course... if I get a hankering for a fat wild hog, it can always come out of the safe and get stuffed with Hornady 240 grain XTP.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
611 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an M629-1 that I purchased from a guy who needed money to pay his lawyer in order to get a divorce. It is pre lock and I got the gun, holster, 3 boxes of ammo for $400.00 cash, in 2002. It was this guys concealed carry gun and he lived in a rough section in Nashville TN. My son-in-law loves the gun. He likes to shoot it at dusk, when the flames can be seen from the powder burning. I don't shoot it much any more because my wrist hurts for a week.

I prefer shooting my 681, 357 mag, 4" brl I purchased from a local police detective practically new. He said only he only shot the qualifying course with it twice, and put 100 rounds through it by him. He purchased the gun, from his department, after they went to semi-autos years ago. Another son-in-law recently used it to qualify for his Concealed Carry Permit. I used it to qualify when I completed my NRA Instructor Course about 6 years ago. The 681 is by far my most favorite revolver in my collection. It is my night stand gun and lives by my bed in a quick access box. I put a laser grip on it about 10 years ago. These guns are real quality from S/W.

I purchased a Hump Back J frame, about 4 years ago, and I will say the SW quality is just not there on that one. Terrible trigger pull along with sharp edges. Just don't feel right in the hand like a quality revolver should feel. "That's my story and I am sticking to it".

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
762 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  11:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hopleyyeaton

My favorite? The M28 Highway Patrolman that was getting loose and so instead of getting the work done I sold it to a friend at local club. Dumb dumb dumb.

My first duty weapon in 1978.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1523 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  12:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Elmer is gone and so is I think a lot of interest in the "N" frames. I have a few that I don't shoot any more. I put out feelers for a possible sale and heard a bunch of crickets. I have a pair of Model 25's that are scarily accurate. Then Evan made me think of when I sold my Colt's New Service collection; "If I start to talk about N frames I'll have to call Suicide Prevention." Me too, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

zeke

239 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  07:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just recently picked up a 625-3 3in 45 acp. Already had an action job, but just smoothed those sharp edges on the trigger. It's a shooter, having been bead blasted and sights changed. Already had 1000 45 ar rounds loaded up.
Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
916 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old 5" M-27 that I plan on having buried with me.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimM

Tim

oh, so that's what happened to all the old S&W's
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9295 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 4" 24 is a really nifty thing.

I confess, I LOVE N-frames.

When I was younger I liked the long ones. Now I really like the 3, 3.5, 4 and 5" ones.

In a way too bad we cannot do pics here but that is sure not a criticism I know how much more bandwidth and work that would be.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  10:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you like pictures go to the Rock Island Auction sight and look at their premier auction, hard to believe some of those exist and are available

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4909 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be a bit of a blasphemer here, I must say that when I started learning about the different frame sizes--back in the Pleistocene era--I couldn't understand the need for the 'massive' N-frame for the .357-size cartridge; .44 and .45 made sense, but for the smaller loads it just seemed like putting mudder tires on a Volkswagen. In my head, I still kinda feel that way.
Then somebody will bring a Model 27 into the store and let me hold it, and I get a little flutter going in my chest, and immediately explain to the owner that, sadly for him, S&W goofed when they designed these guns, but to help him out I'd offer a couple hundred dollars store credit for it. Nobody has seen fit to let me help them out.
Don't have an N-frame, have owned a couple of nice .44's down the years, but stupidly traded them off--and now can't even tell you what I traded them for. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3802 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil Sharpe loaded .38 special ammo up to around 1500fps with a 156gr hardcast bullet, N-frames were required to handle what became the .357 magnum

still real easy to get 1400fps with a 158gr in a magnum case, modern k-frame magnums can take that but it ain't real fun

both those loads exceed factory .41 magnum if your talking energy only

full blown 125 gr magnums feel like wadcutters out of an N-frame

Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1278 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  5:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've owned 3 S&W pistols one K22 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel, A matching Model 29 which is my favorite. And my first N frame I owned was a Model 28 Highway Patrolman, that in a very convoluted way was traded in what wound up being the K22. I wish I could find a 4 inch 29 although Ruger is supposed to be stronger, I don't really want to load any 44 hot enough to test that theory.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

Phil Sharpe loaded .38 special ammo up to around 1500fps with a 156gr hardcast bullet, N-frames were required to handle what became the .357 magnum

still real easy to get 1400fps with a 158gr in a magnum case, modern k-frame magnums can take that but it ain't real fun

both those loads exceed factory .41 magnum if your talking energy only

full blown 125 gr magnums feel like wadcutters out of an N-frame

Buffalo Bore claims that their 158 gr 'heavy .357 magnum' load achieves 1485 fps from a 4" Mountain Gun; and their 125 gr, over 1600 fps.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on September 18 2017 6:27:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2622 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  7:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, Elmer is gone and so is I think a lot of interest in the "N" frames. I have a few that I don't shoot any more. I put out feelers for a possible sale and heard a bunch of crickets. I have a pair of Model 25's that are scarily accurate.

I'm sure you could find interested potential buyers here, myself included

Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
584 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  08:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently sold a couple of mine, the gem of which was a 4-screw 6.5" blued 44 magnum with the case, etc. I needed some cash for a new home purchase, and it was "too nice" for me. I hesitated to actually shoot it and decrease the value, so sold it off and kept the 4" 29, 4" nickel 57, and 4" 24. I also have some fixed sights, a 5" Wolf & Klar 1927 44 special and 4" 1950 military 44 special. The 44 special bug hit me a few years ago and I have never recovered from it!
I am sure I will miss that 6.5" 4 screw pretty soon. :(
Mike

Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
916 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  08:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

quote:
Originally posted by TimM

Tim

oh, so that's what happened to all the old S&W's

That's as good an answer as I have I don't see many at all locally anymore.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4014 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  09:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So: very few Glocks in heaven? But lots and lots of N-frames?

I can believe it....

Edited by - LittleBill on September 19 2017 09:07:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.34seconds. Snitz Forums 2000