Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - RevolverGuy
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 RevolverGuy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1682 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  02:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks,

My friend and I have been working on a blog dedicated to revolvers, and we've got a few entries that you might enjoy if you're a wheelgun fan. Please take a look and let us know what you think. The approved link is in the Website References subforum.

Thanks!
Mike

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
405 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked out the new website and it looks good to me! I started with revolvers in the 80's as a new cop and they still hold a warm place in my heart. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Hello Folks,

My friend and I have been working on a blog dedicated to revolvers, and we've got a few entries that you might enjoy if you're a wheelgun fan. Please take a look and let us know what you think. The approved link is in the Website References subforum.

Thanks!
Mike

Interesting site. Thanks for sharing!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  12:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first serious sidearm was a 4-screw M19, and boy do I wish I had kept it.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  1:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by revjen45

My first serious sidearm was a 4-screw M19, and boy do I wish I had kept it.

Back in the 70s I had both a 6 and 4 inch M-19. Financial circumstances forced me to part with them. I also wish I hadn't had to sell them.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

795 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  6:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the 70's, my duty weapon was a 6" M-19. I still have it and carry it when I'm in the woods. A few years ago I traded a Glock-34 for another 6" M-19. I think I came out on the better end of the deal. I love the K-frames better than the L-frames that I own. What's not to love about a .357 revolver?

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

MikeG
Average Member

USA
312 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  8:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great website, I bookmarked it.
When I started my interest in guns in the mid to late 70s, .357 revolvers were the most popular gun for police and self defence. My first centerfire firearm was a Ruger Security-6 which I still have. It's still my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - August 27 2017 :  9:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I bookmarked it too.

My first handgun was a 4" S&W M19. 1981? 1982? I'd heard about it from the same guy who wrote those great articles on stopping power. IIRC, at the same time I bought a box of Federal 125-gr hollowpoints.

I bought it at Clark Brothers in Warrenton, VA. I still remember it because there was a VA State Trooper there at the time who commented on my purchase: "That's a good gun." I believe he had one like it in his holster.

I too foolishy sold it; in order to buy what I'd decided was a better carry gun, a Glock 19.

In retrospect: I still think the G19 makes a better carry gun for most situations; but I sure do wish I'd hung on to that M19....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 27 2017 9:32:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

skyrock
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  01:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Hello Folks,

Thanks!
Mike

Found that a few weeks ago, and I check it often. I'm learning much! Thanks to you and your friend.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
781 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked it out. Cool site. Bookmarked.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

795 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  12:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started going through it too, until I started getting seasick. I guess that the salmon here in Alaska will have to remain a higher priority for now. I also have it bookmarked. Thanks for the heads up.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great website, also bookmarked it. Fondly remember my first issued 4 inch Model 19!

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

196 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  2:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

Yes, I bookmarked it too.

My first handgun was a 4" S&W M19. 1981? 1982? I'd heard about it from the same guy who wrote those great articles on stopping power. IIRC, at the same time I bought a box of Federal 125-gr hollowpoints.

I bought it at Clark Brothers in Warrenton, VA. I still remember it because there was a VA State Trooper there at the time who commented on my purchase: "That's a good gun." I believe he had one like it in his holster.

Back then, The VSP issued the Model 64 in .38. Unlike most southern state police/highway patrol agencies, the VSP never issued the .357 Mag. In the late 1980s, they moved to the 10mm for a short time, then to the 9mm and to the 357 SIG.

Edited by - J Wagner on August 28 2017 2:43:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knowing that, his interest makes even more sense: he probably wished he could carry one.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 28 2017 4:20:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1682 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  5:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents! Glad you're enjoying it. Check back often--we're trying to release something every Saturday, at least.

All you Model 19 fans will enjoy an article I have in the hopper . . . coming soon.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - August 28 2017 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, just read the articles on T-loads & FBI loads history. Enjoyed them and will be checking in often. Well Done. Retfed
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1682 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  10:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sir! Much appreciated!

This has been a fun project for us. Justin is a younger guy and it's fun to see him discovering some things that might be old hat to an experienced revolver shooter. He has a fresh point of view that can bring new insights to old topics.

I'm enjoying the chance to write about some great history and some tactics for running a revolver. As you all know, there's been a loss of some corporate knowledge on how to run these guns since the 80s--the revolver is foreign to some of these new shooters!

I hope everyone will continue to enjoy it. We've got a lot of new material coming your way.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  11:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite ORF qualification stories is when Ol' Sarge brought his retired duty revolver. One of the pups at the range was ragging him on shooting an old-tech gun like that--'Where do you carry the caps' and 'How do you keep the powder dry' and such. Sarge gave back as good as he got, did his qual, then asked the kid if he'd like to try an old timey revawver. The kid said 'Sure!' Sarge handed him the gun and a handful of ammo, the kid just looked at it with a priceless goofy expression on his face--he didn't know how to load the thing. He got a lot of ribbing, then a short class on 'old guns'---and he liked it.

Thanks for the reference to the site. I'll be recommending it to folks who are 'revawverly challenged'. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

khclark

632 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. To paraphrase Obi-Wan...revolvers: a more elegant weapon from a more civilized time.

revolvers: anachronistic yet efficacious
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my ex son-in-law went through the Ohio police officer's training program, the department that was hiring him was still carrying S&W Model 66's. So he trained with his S&W Model 25-5 (.45 Colt). His instructor smiled. There was one other revolver shooter in the program - a .357, I think. Everyone else shot autoloaders. On the basic shooting portion of the course the two revolver guys cleaned the clocks of the autoloader shooters. It was only when the scenarios required a prolonged string of fire that the six round capacity of the wheelguns became an issue.

When JR got certified and active with his small 10 man police force, the Sergeant / firearms instructor, a championship level three gun competitor, upgraded the department to the Beretta 92. Most of the officers were not gun people to begin with, so there was grumbling over having to learn the new gun. At least half the officers never did get particularly proficient with the Berettas; not that they were ever much good with their Model 66's either. In the end, the Sergeant grudgingly remarked that for this group of officers, the move from revolver to autopistol was probably not worth the money expended.

I would definitely not hang this fiasco on quality of the instruction; but on the stubborn resistance from some of the troops. I shot some with the Sergeant and he was really good at diagnosing and correcting small flaws in technique. An excellent man, a phenomenal shot, gone before his time (cancer).

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Richard B

USA
179 Posts

Posted - August 30 2017 :  09:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this new website. The younger folks involved in this country's current infatuation with light weight polymer 100 round autos loaders need an opportunity to learn other perspectives.

Richard B

Don't take life so serious son, it ain't nohow permanent. Miz Beaver in Pogo
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1682 Posts

Posted - September 01 2017 :  12:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed! Send 'em our way. We'll fix 'em!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. Keep coming back--we have a lot more ready to go!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
682 Posts

Posted - September 01 2017 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike I really like the new blog. Because of health reasons, I have decided to go back to a 7 shot 357, 2" brl, which I carry in my pockets. A new problem just popped up when I recently got cataract surgery and now I am having my carry fleet sights changed because I can no longer see them as well as I once did. Going too fiber optics. Any suggestions? I don't want to be forced to go to glasses because I see 20 20 in both eyes without them. Just can't read without glasses.

Keep up the good work. Loving the articles and am catching up on the previous articles.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - September 01 2017 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Sunday I took my two grandsons and their dad to the range. .22 rifles were sighted in for squirrel season and three small handy autopistols were wrung out for reliability. (Always a lingering doubt in my mind.)

Finally, as a squirrel handgun, I auditioned the 6" Python with wadcutter level SWC loads. (Oh yeah!) It's the fifteen year old's favorite handgun. He loaded it up and addressed the seven yard silhouette target. "This is too easy" he grinned the moment before he one handed a dead center head shot.

There is a certain intangible allure about the older quality built revolvers. People get all wrapped around the axle about the high volume rapid fire gunfight with the self fulfilling need for high magazine capacity. It could happen, so most (?) of us plan and carry accordingly. But what, really, are the odds? For all other purposes, and for most real life self defense, there is simplicity, efficiency and (is panache the right word?) to revolvers that most autopistols can't match.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - September 01 2017 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plenty of good reason to carry a revolver

might just be the preferred handgun for that famous " fighting in a phone booth" scenario ( of course young guys don't know what a phone booth is either)

when it's down to ground fighting it's not which type handgun works better, it's which one works at all.....

as far as being faster to reload, true if you have plenty of preloaded magazines, but start with both types of handguns completely empty and see which one gets loaded faster.

new revolvers are better than ever by the way

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on September 01 2017 10:08:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - September 01 2017 :  1:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, your post reminded me of a range day about 10 years ago with my 14(?) year old grandson Will, We shot long guns and handguns. When I asked Him which handgun he liked best he chose my old S&W Model 15. A couple of months ago I asked if he was still interested in it, I got a big smile and a yes. He'll have to wait a bit, I am not done with it! He doesn't mind waiting for it. ; Retfed

Edited by - retfed89 on September 01 2017 10:45:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.83seconds. Snitz Forums 2000