Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - PPU .223 SP
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 PPU .223 SP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - August 13 2017 :  6:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a fair-to-middling deal on some 55g Prvi Soft Point .223, ordered some to try in my coyote gun.
Got to thinking, is there any reason not to use this for social possibilities? Always assuming the AR likes it of course---which I'd fully expect. So far all the guns I've used Prvi in like it a lot. Ace

edit to add: Also, a question came up as to which brand M193 would be recommended for social work? Lots of companies mark their stuff 'M193', but which ones can be expected to perform as such? Ace again

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - August 13 2017 :  10:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lake City

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - August 14 2017 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
loaded question

anything stamped LC ( lake city) is M193

Federal/ATK has been operating the Lake City facility for at least 17 years, they produce M193 on their own equipment, and have contracted with IMI (Isreal) to produce M193 for U.S. Government.

Winchester operated Lake City before ATK

Winchester Q3131A is made by IMI and is mil spec ammo

I consider LC, FEDERAL, IMI, and Q3131A to be mil spec M193

Malaysian surplus seems to be mil spec

the difference is bullet construction, some surplus may not fragment, some of the Korean does not appear to be mil spec velocity in my guns

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
851 Posts

Posted - August 15 2017 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've repeatedly been told that the Mforgery design didn't have soft point ammo in the design envelope and function may be less than ideal. Ballistic/Plastic tip and JHP seem to run fine. I notice that most of the Federal TAP has gone plastic tip. We did at one time run Federal SP 55gr with no malfunction problems, but had to discontinue the practice because the 1-7 twist Colt barrels were causing bullets to disappear (come apart in flight) after about 100 rounds. That was years ago, adjustments may have been made in jacket material.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000