StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Tactical cane update??
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Tactical cane update??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are tactical/fighting canes still making it through TSA, courthouse, and similar security screening? They're kinda obvious to a trained eye. Just checking, because my back and hip are getting to the point where I'm actually starting to use my CaneMasters for its "ostensible" purpose.

Jeff

jle3030

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  11:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Are tactical/fighting canes still making it through TSA, courthouse, and similar security screening? They're kinda obvious to a trained eye. Just checking, because my back and hip are getting to the point where I'm actually starting to use my CaneMasters for its "ostensible" purpose.

Jeff

Don't know. But I think an accompanying letter from your doctor would go a long way in getting it through. If he deems it a 'medical necessity' I would think they would have a hard time refusing it. JMHO.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few birthdays back, my brother gifted me MY "tactical cane", a very simple hardwood (hickory) cane with a rubber crutch tip. I use it like my old "straight baton", from the good old days, and have never ever been questioned on its usage, in any courthouse, (Fed and local), or via the TSA monkeys when flying.
I DO get to board first when flying, so, it always goes in the flights with me.
Yeah, it does work well both as a can and "balance device", as well as a personal protection tool.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  12:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had any problem taking my City Stick through security at the courthouse, TSA at the airport or cruises.

A flight attendant did cop an atitude with me about it on a flight. She didn't like the idea of me holding the cane between my legs. The FA wanted in an overhead bin or along the wall at the window seat. I told her I needed the cane. It made no impact on her, she insisted it had to be in one of those two places. I put it overhead.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Cold Steel cane has made it thru security and rides next to my seat without any drama from the fight crew.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto my Irish blackthorn cane. I've taken it on planes, and recently into a courthouse.

It used to be the case that airline regs prevented anyone from taking away a cane from someone who needed it. No medical documentation required. Has that changed?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 12 2017 5:21:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  3:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RLS

I haven't had any problem taking my City Stick through security at the courthouse, TSA at the airport or cruises.

A flight attendant did cop an atitude with me about it on a flight. She didn't like the idea of me holding the cane between my legs. The FA wanted in an overhead bin or along the wall at the window seat. I told her I needed the cane. It made no impact on her, she insisted it had to be in one of those two places. I put it overhead.

Rick

Maybe you just didn't strike her hard enough with it?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on August 12 2017 4:18:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  4:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

A few birthdays back, my brother gifted me MY "tactical cane", a very simple hardwood (hickory) cane with a rubber crutch tip. I use it like my old "straight baton", from the good old days, and have never ever been questioned on its usage, in any courthouse, (Fed and local), or via the TSA monkeys when flying.
I DO get to board first when flying, so, it always goes in the flights with me.
Yeah, it does work well both as a can and "balance device", as well as a personal protection tool.

I too prefer a 'regular' hardwood cane over a 'tactical' cane for that very reason: the former just makes you look like an old hobbler, while the latter might draw unwanted attention to you if someone recognizes it for what it is.

Even when the TSA monkey is wrong, you're still on a tight schedule, not in a position to stand there arguing with them. Best not to give them any 'reason' for messing with you.

Edited by - LittleBill on August 12 2017 4:20:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - August 12 2017 :  7:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brother has a hobby of making walking sticks out of various types of wood, as in from saplings and branches off of trees, even grape vines (he'd love to have some of that blackthorn material). They're really pretty, unique and individual, and most could easily substitute for a 'tacticool' Mall-Ninja/Keyboard Kommando/Chairborne Ranger model--and they cost less, too. Seems it would be really hard for a Arby's reject (TSA-Too Stupid for Arby's) to object to it.
I have some walnut and mulberry that needs trimmed. I think I'll give him some that is five or six feet long, have him make me a 'Moses stick'. That might have some trouble getting through the checkpoint...Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Edited by - Ace on August 12 2017 7:03:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1036 Posts

Posted - August 13 2017 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would opt for one made of hickory--it is harder, more dense, and durable!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - August 13 2017 :  09:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSA maintains the discretion to scan/inspect mobility aids like canes.

"fighting canes" have distinct characteristics easily recognized by an informed inspector. depends on local rules whether these are allowed in public.

sharpened crooks, rounded tips, cord wrapping, finger grooves etc. are giveaways

a perscription from a doctor is a plus and might move to the front of the line

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - August 13 2017 :  9:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the one I have with the sword in it will raise the ire at the airport. When out of country with it and walking in an unsavory area it seems the local baddies knew what it was and were reluctant to request my spare change. Have to look for some other useful cane..Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
598 Posts

Posted - August 14 2017 :  1:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 nice hardwood sticks that were made from trees removed from the Gettysburg battlefield as they culled trees to make the terrain more true to the battle. One is "cane" length and the other is "Moses" length. I don't use them all the time, but when I do need them nobody has questioned them.

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
104 Posts

Posted - August 15 2017 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my last visit to the local Federal Building for ID update they asked me to put my plain wood cane through the scanner if I could walk without it, but never questioned it. Took it that day knowing my gun(s) and knife had to stay locked in the car in the parking garage across the street and I'm too old to fight some young yahoo bare handed.
Go to Top of Page

jimmylee

173 Posts

Posted - August 15 2017 :  6:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can probably find a good hardwood cane at your local farm and ranch store. They are useful to aid walking or moving livestock around the corral.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
851 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  10:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, many of the canes now readily available seem to either be flimsy aluminum or some clone of balsa wood. I guess the aged & decrepit don't have the strength to handle a cane that might actually support them. That includes the local rural stores.

Museum Replicas used to have dynawood staffs, you could cut one down. I got a wood cane from Cold Steel long ago when I thought I was facing knee surgery. Turned out I didn't need surgery, but it's come in handy quite a few times. Wish they still did those wood canes.

Waaay back in college the Dean of Men was a cane collector and used them daily. One day in the student union a buddy and I were sitting at the next table and were fascinated by the carved cane he had. He told us to go ahead and look at it and told us where he got it (can't recall-somewhere in the far east). The carving was gorgeous, but I was fascinated by a couple brass inserts. After a bit of wiggling, I discovered it was a sword cane. The blade appeared to be from one of those triangular Limey bayonets of days long gone. The Dean was quite surprised, he allowed he had several sword canes, didn't know that was one.

While I was still working, we had a gent run one of the Cold Steel City Sticks through the X-Ray. I'd watched him walk up and looked at the wear pattern on his shoes. I politely suggested that he leave the cane in his car thereafter, unless he had a Doctor's letter. Never saw the stick again for the 3 months he was there. I was old enough to know you might not need the stick just this minute, but there was just something...............

Edited by - WR Moore on September 16 2017 10:37:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  10:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you ever take a look at stick/ cane fighting techniques you can quickly pick out canes setup for fighting on the street

myself i watch people walking around with sticks, I saw a few yesterday driving through the local rough neighbourhood.

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  11:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume if you have a letter from your doctor, no one would be able to stop you from carrying a cane, even a 'fighting cane'. Of course, that wouldn't include sword canes.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 16 2017 11:19:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  11:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's like open carry

when I see a healthy man strutting around with a cane the weight of a ball bat I pay attention

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  11:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My "strutting" days are long over, especially after the recent total knee replacement. Now, it's the Malcolm and Gimpy show...with my non-tacticool hardwood cane, and my modified wobble-hobble.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Malcolm, how are you getting on? What are the new bionic knees like, as compared to your 'old' ones before the replacement? Are you glad you did it?

I ask, because I'm sure at some point I'll be needing to do the same.

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  5:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

it's like open carry

when I see a healthy man strutting around with a cane the weight of a ball bat I pay attention

I happen to have an "Original Baseball Bat Cane". It says "Louisville Slugger" on the barrel. It came inscribed with my name on it. My mother gave it to me one year for my birthday. It resides close at hand hanging in the family room.

I don't think I fit rightly into healthy man strutting around. My health isn't that good and I don't strut.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
78 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  8:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was in O.C. Courthouse last week with mine no problem.
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

667 Posts

Posted - September 16 2017 :  11:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I needed a cane after knee surgery. I picked up a Bubba Stik, hardwood capped with a brass hame from a mule harness. It's nice & hefty and classy, except for the "Bubba Stik" burned on the side.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  11:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Moses stick that gets favorable comment every time I take it out in public. I also carry the prescription for a cane in case I have to present some valid reason why I am unsteady on my feet. As far as weapons go it would make a pretty good whackin' stick but if I need a weapon my EDC sidearm beats the staff. Then again, a handgun doesn't work real well in helping me maintain balance.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4363 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by revjen45

I have a Moses stick that gets favorable comment every time I take it out in public. I also carry the prescription for a cane in case I have to present some valid reason why I am unsteady on my feet. As far as weapons go it would make a pretty good whackin' stick but if I need a weapon my EDC sidearm beats the staff. Then again, a handgun doesn't work real well in helping me maintain balance.

True--- although you can fire a quick shot or two into the ground when you start to tip over, using the recoil impulse to right yourself--- it's probably not a technique you should rely on....

Edited by - LittleBill on September 17 2017 12:27:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.45seconds. Snitz Forums 2000