Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 380 Bodyguard
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 380 Bodyguard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LfiGrad

USA
66 Posts

Posted - August 02 2017 :  3:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a .380 bodyguard (no laser) a few weeks ago bran new for 270.00 and got an extra mag thrown in (for 3 total. Seemed like a good deal.

My first trip to the range I fired exactly 150 rounds. Three boxes. I found the gun shot exactly where pointed at 25 ft. and I found the trigger to be very good. I mention the trigger because reading various reviews, the Bodyguard trigger has taken a lot of flack.

I would compare the trigger to a J frame. It is DAO. It was smooth, even, and no stacking BUT took a bit of strength. There were no malfunctions of any kind.

My second trip to the range, the trigger took a lot less finger power. Cleaning, oiling and a little dry firing really loosened it up. I really love the trigger. I think it is perfect (other than caliber) for the pocket. However. on THIS trip to the range, it started to malfunction.

The very last round in the mag would not feed. This happened with all three mags although, not everytime.

The only thing different from the first range visit and the second was ammo brand.

On my first trip, Remington FMJ. On my second trip, Fiocchi FMJ. Its hard to come up with a reason to blame FMJ factory ammo for this, especially after it was "broken in a little" and cleaned and oiled.

I guese my next step is get some more Remington and see if the feeding problem stopped.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.

bikergeo
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - August 02 2017 :  5:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same issue with Remington FMJ on mine too. Switched to American Eagle FMJ which functioned every time. The AE seems to be a little hotter than the Remington. I've put at least 500 rounds of it through it with no issues. BTW I've put at least 600 rounds of Hornady's American Gunner XTP through it with no issues either.

Semper Fi,
bikergeo
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - August 02 2017 :  5:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I've owned a number of .380's over the years I used them for testing ammo. Today with 9MM's virtually the same size I don't see a lot of value.

I learned almost 50 years ago, just dress around the guns. Today I went to Walmart for shopping and carried a Glock 22 in .40 S&W and a stainless Taurus snub .40 S&W that uses full moon clips.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - August 02 2017 :  8:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I own a Glock .380, my J frame 38 snubby rides in my pocket more than anything to back up a 9mm that's on my hip.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

795 Posts

Posted - August 03 2017 :  01:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only times that I carry a .380 anymore is when I have to wear a tucked in shirt for a "business casual" setting.

In those situations I have a J-frame in my right front pocket (primary), a .380 on my waist in a large cell phone case,
and a j-frame on my left ankle.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - August 03 2017 :  03:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LfiGrad

Bought a .380 bodyguard (no laser) a few weeks ago bran new for 270.00 and got an extra mag thrown in (for 3 total. Seemed like a good deal.

My first trip to the range I fired exactly 150 rounds. Three boxes. I found the gun shot exactly where pointed at 25 ft. and I found the trigger to be very good. I mention the trigger because reading various reviews, the Bodyguard trigger has taken a lot of flack.

I would compare the trigger to a J frame. It is DAO. It was smooth, even, and no stacking BUT took a bit of strength. There were no malfunctions of any kind.

My second trip to the range, the trigger took a lot less finger power. Cleaning, oiling and a little dry firing really loosened it up. I really love the trigger. I think it is perfect (other than caliber) for the pocket. However. on THIS trip to the range, it started to malfunction.

The very last round in the mag would not feed. This happened with all three mags although, not everytime.

The only thing different from the first range visit and the second was ammo brand.

On my first trip, Remington FMJ. On my second trip, Fiocchi FMJ. Its hard to come up with a reason to blame FMJ factory ammo for this, especially after it was "broken in a little" and cleaned and oiled.

I guese my next step is get some more Remington and see if the feeding problem stopped.

I can't think of a 9mm that's as small as some of the micro .380s, my LCP is a fraction of the size of a j-frame, it's only slightly larger than a vest pocket Colt .25.

they seem to have replaced the snub nose in a lot of peoples pockets

hard to diagnose a malfunction over the internet, depends on what "failure to feed" looks like

it's tough to hang on to these pocket guns, if your grip shifts under recoil you might be interfering with the slide towards the end of a magazine.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - August 04 2017 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to match what the aforementioned members provided but for what it's worth I know three friends who have used that weapon with no issues. My guess is that your issues is ammunition as some weapons are brand sensitive or a magazine issue. A Dr. friend who has an LCP just sent his back to Ruger for repairs as it was jamming and failing to feed. I don't know if thats your issues but keep it in the back of your mind.

MSS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000