StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Do Mobil 1 & other synthetic lubricants evaporate?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Do Mobil 1 & other synthetic lubricants evaporate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - July 19 2017 :  1:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes use Mobil 1 on my slide rails and as a lubricant and it seems that after a period of storage things have dried out somewhat. I have heard that synthetic oils do not leave a film and tend to run into the lowest spot or do they evaporate?

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - July 19 2017 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first used it in M4's and M60's setup for MILES. Blanks are quite dirty and I found myself in Nowhere, Alabama with a trailer full of of weapons setup for MILES and the genius's at Kirtland AFB hadn't put any lube in the trailer.

Found they all ran well on Mobil One. I have about 4 gallons of it along with my other emergency supplies. Remember you can always use the oil dip stick in your engine to lube your guns.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - July 19 2017 :  3:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mobil 1 20x50 V Twin I use as a heavy lube for semi-auto pistol barrel/bushing, and for ARs may seem to evaporate... but it's still there, doing it's job. I've got no issues with it.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - July 19 2017 :  3:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

The Mobil 1 20x50 V Twin I use as a heavy lube for semi-auto pistol barrel/bushing, and for ARs may seem to evaporate over time because it gets 'not slick'... but it's still there, doing it's job. I've got no issues with it.

Sorry about the double post... things seem to be a little screwed up at the moment.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on July 19 2017 3:07:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 20 2017 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have what is probably a lifetime supply of TW-25b grease but I still keep Mobile one around because I really like liquid (started on the advice from Evan many years ago) .

The TW-25b does work wonders if applied correctly in that talcum powder dust in the Middle East but I don't really need that here.

Does it evaporate - probably over time but it lasts a lot longer than regular oil - a good friend who is a PHD and geologist calls the regular kind "Dinosaur Oil" (due to it being a fossil fuel) and says it evaporates much quicker than synthetic oil - I'll take his word for it but I'd use it anyway because I like it.

Heck I use it in my vehicles too

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - July 20 2017 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Mobil 1 on my AR, which rides in a nylon case behind my truck seat. Sometimes it doesn't get taken out for months at a time, and the oil is still there--but being in the case, it really doesn't have anywhere to evaporate to. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

esq_stu

USA
907 Posts

Posted - July 20 2017 :  8:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it doesn't evaporate.

Kol Tuv (All the best!)

-- esq_stu

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - July 20 2017 :  9:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen it evaporate. it will stain a pretty shirt if you run your weapon on the wet side Like I tend to....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000