Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Shopping at CDNN
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Shopping at CDNN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5244 Posts

Posted - July 12 2017 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought some Ruger BX-25 mags. May only be a .22 but still a handy little round and a reliable rifle. Every family needs a .22 rifle (or more) and a stash of ammo.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Evan
Administrator

34096 Posts

Posted - July 12 2017 :  12:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell folks if they can only afford one rifle, buy a taken down 10/22 and a bunch of 25 round mags.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
207 Posts

Posted - July 12 2017 :  11:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, I'd be interested in knowing how reliable the 25 rd mags are in normal usage. I don't know anyone who is actually using the BMX mag but if you say they're reliable I'll try some. Many years ago I bought some 25 rounders for the 10/22 that were only reliable in their FTF. I don't remember the brand name but they were made of transparent plastic with a red follower and feed lips. "Hot Lips" comes to mind but I couldn't say for sure.
I just tried a half dozen 10 round mags for the Ruger Mark II that I ordered from CDNN on July 2 and rec'd on July 6 - regular shipping. They were advertised as Ruger mags and appear identical except for lacking the Ruger emblem on the base plate. They worked fine with CCI mini-mags and standard velocity ammo, as well as some WW hi velocity in the 100 round plastic box.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5244 Posts

Posted - July 13 2017 :  09:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BX-25 are Ruger factory mags. so far I like mine and they have been reliable. I ordered the 25x2, which means 50 rounds total. only a few bucks more than the standard round and I'll try these out.

My dad was a practical hunter in his youth. he took all kinds of small to medium sized game with a scoped .22 rifle. He always told me to shoot it with the irons, then get a scope zeroed on it and I'd have irons of the scope ever went foul on me.

Been doing it that way to this day...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3979 Posts

Posted - July 13 2017 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got 20+ rifles around here, mostly centerfire, some don't get used from one year to the next.

i keep a marlin m60 in the garage, it gets used most every day for one thing or another, mostly plinking out back but if something needs shooting it's usually it.

i've seen most everything around here killed with a .22 including deer.

the Israelis were using supressed 10/22s for crowd control, all shots were to be below the waist. they may have stopped the practice, troops were placing shots in the upper body, the rimfire was too lethal.

a while back i was hunting wild hogs using scoped rimfire rifles over bait at about 40 yards. we didn't loose a hog, with a head shot most dropped flat legs kicking.

i could no doubt get by with just one rifle and that would be a good .22, including for defense.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
207 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  6:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LGS had the Ruger BX25 advertised on sale so I bought two of them. Took them to the range today and tried a variety of .22LR through them: Remington Hi Velocity in the old green and yellow box, Federal Spitfire Hyper velocity, CCI Hp's, Federal Champions, Aguilla SSS, Dynamit Nobel Target, Remington in the old red and white box, and CCI Quiet .22s. Had some FTEs with the CCI Quiet .22s but no feeding problems what-so-ever with any of the rounds. The Quiet .22s were the last after a couple of hundred of the others. It was readily apparent how they got their name. I thought that they were Standard Velocity but the box lists them at 750fps, if I remember right. I followed with CCI MiniMags through the same mag without a hitch. I will probably pick up a couple more of the mags the next chance I get.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000