StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Talking with the brother about crossbows....
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Talking with the brother about crossbows....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4862 Posts

Posted - July 08 2017 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and how it's different from actual bowhunting, and a stray thought came to mind. Didn't discuss it with him because he doesn't think as 'deeply' about some things as I do.

The thought goes something like this: A few years ago, our state Wildlife people goofed and changed the regulations for firearms deer season to allow 'any centerfire' caliber for deers.
As a general rule, I'm not a fan of people being allowed to use a coyote-size caliber (.223) for something the size of an average deer. But I'm also aware, that in the right hands, even a .223 could be ethical, with a good bullet and careful placement.
So, with all the experience and intelligence here (not a sarcastic comment, by the way), I'm wondering: 1)Has anyone here used a .223 for Bambi, especially on a regular basis; 2)Typical results--ie: how efficient are they, with proper placement; 3)What is a good commercial load in the ~62gr bullet weight to get adequate penetration and expansion? Not sure I could convince myself to consider such a small, light caliber; then again, if we're calling yodel dogs during deer season, and a fat doe was to present herself....(that is, out of range of my normally-carried .45LC in such circumstances)?
Thanks for any input. I trust you guys here more than on the other site I hang out on. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - July 08 2017 :  11:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And if it's marginal for deer: what does that say about it as a self-defense round?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1009 Posts

Posted - July 09 2017 :  06:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Used a .22-250 to drop a buck (as well as a wild hog (headshots on both).
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2759 Posts

Posted - July 09 2017 :  08:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gauchobill

Used a .22-250 to drop a buck (as well as a wild hog (headshots on both).

+1. Head shots or spine at the base of the skull is the only way I would go with a .223. Heart/lung shots will kill them, but you may not be able to recover them. They can travel forever.

Winchester (at least at one time) made a 64 grain Power Point soft point that seemed tougher than other slugs. I think a few LE agencies even adopted it.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on July 09 2017 08:32:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9255 Posts

Posted - July 09 2017 :  09:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+2

I sometimes shoot critters in the shoulder or the classic lung shot just as a sort of reality check. I certainly recognize that I'm going to ruin a little meat doing that and, while I love deer meat, I'm willing to make that sacrifice in the interest of education (but by no means am criticizing those that make a different choice).

I've now tried on deer about every type of bullet in .223 ffom those that expand violently to Monolithic expanding to heavy for caliber (not every brand by any means) - none of them have given me the results I want.

I would add to Chris' excellent comment that only one of the deer I've shot through the body with a .223 left any sort of blood trail - and that amounted to a dime sized drop every 25 yards or so.

I have no doubt they would all have worked on a head or spine shot.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

ACP230
Advanced Member

1055 Posts

Posted - July 09 2017 :  2:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't used the .223 on deer. Do have a partial box of
Winchester 64 grain softpoint .223 loads here someplace.
Would use them if I had to shoot a deer with the caliber.

I am aware that someone in the Eastern U.P. of MI shot a
very large buck (13 point? IRC) with the .223 and collected it.

I prefer a .25 caliber, like the .250 Savage, for deer. Several
I've killed with my .250 fell right where they stood.

"Never part with your weapons when you are in the field. You never know when, on some lengthy plain, you may suddenly need your spear." Old Norse saying.

Edited by - ACP230 on July 10 2017 07:28:59 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000