Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - m1 carbine
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 m1 carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 03 2017 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajt

I was looking for an M1 at the last GS I attended. Found a number of them ranging in price between $400 and $1200, some of which appeared to be in pretty rough condition - mainly stock-wise. They all had smooth actions and good bores - no pitting visible and the rifling visible. I couldn't figure what the differences were between all of them, other than manufacturer. A couple of the sellers struck me as real hucksters though, and I put off buying until I could find out more about them and/or get a more knowledgeable person to accompany me and give me another opinion of them. Found more 'expertise' here than anywhere. ajt

Pay particular attention to the bore and the muzzle erosion. IIRC all US Carbine ammo was non-corrosive but a lot of foreign ball was corrosive.

Also the carbine barrel must be cleaned from the front if you have a rod (not a pull through) and, like Garands, some outfits cleaned them so often the rods caused muzzle erosion.

When I used to attend gun shows I would carry a flat base .308 spitzer bullet and try it in the muzzle of any .30 caliber rifle I was examining - if the base will insert into the first 1/8" or so of the rifling then you have enough to damage the accuracy (for a house gun it might not matter though).

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - July 03 2017 :  11:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:
Originally posted by ajt

I was looking for an M1 at the last GS I attended. Found a number of them ranging in price between $400 and $1200, some of which appeared to be in pretty rough condition - mainly stock-wise. They all had smooth actions and good bores - no pitting visible and the rifling visible. I couldn't figure what the differences were between all of them, other than manufacturer. A couple of the sellers struck me as real hucksters though, and I put off buying until I could find out more about them and/or get a more knowledgeable person to accompany me and give me another opinion of them. Found more 'expertise' here than anywhere. ajt

Pay particular attention to the bore and the muzzle erosion. IIRC all US Carbine ammo was non-corrosive but a lot of foreign ball was corrosive.

Also the carbine barrel must be cleaned from the front if you have a rod (not a pull through) and, like Garands, some outfits cleaned them so often the rods caused muzzle erosion.

When I used to attend gun shows I would carry a flat base .308 spitzer bullet and try it in the muzzle of any .30 caliber rifle I was examining - if the base will insert into the first 1/8" or so of the rifling then you have enough to damage the accuracy (for a house gun it might not matter though).

Jim H.

Hi, I've seen a few CMP Carbines that were counter bored. While not a deal breaker it should be reflected in the price, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
207 Posts

Posted - July 06 2017 :  10:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received an internet ad today promoting parts for the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine, among others, from a company by the name of Sarco. I've never done any business with them and their prices didn't strike me as being that great - a lot of parts like specific single screws and springs for multiple $s. I did get to see the different rear sights mentioned by some, and they had "new" 15 and 30 round mags, which I would guess were imports, as the ad didn't state their source ($12+ and $15+). I've never checked for surplus mag availability as I have just recently decided to seriously check out the m1 carbine. I remember that as a youth a friend's father had one that was a bring-back from his days with the Seabees in WW2, and we all liked to handle the gun as it had that war 'mystique' to us kids of the 1950's.
Just mentioning it due to the coincidence of the subject and the timing/receipt of the ad.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 06 2017 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to get a lot of parts from Sarco before the internet days. Always got pretty much what I thought I was buying.

I cannot speak to the online experience but they seemed a good company.

I bought a Tanker Garand kit to convert one of my Blue Sky guns (that had a lot of muzzle erosion) - it worked fine.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - July 06 2017 :  3:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SARCO was GTG back in the 80's. Used to buy stuff from their Shotgun News ads.

Most aftermarket M1 Carbine mags are junk, especially the 30 rounders. As recently as the 80's, you could get new-in-the-wrapper (sorta like wax paper) USGI 15-rounders cheap, and I bought a mess of them. There were apparently not a lot of USGI 30-rounders made, but supposedly the government contracted with somebody in Latin America to make them to USGI specs but unmarked for spook reasons. I have some 30-rounderrs acquired in the 80's that work and I think are those. The ones made currently by an outfit called "Keepshooting" seem to have a good rep (both sizes plus 10-rounders for those in mag-ban states), but I don't know from personal experience.
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
104 Posts

Posted - July 25 2017 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to rebuild my '44 Inland & ordered all new pins & springs. Going to keep all the old parts for spares. Trigger group went easy enough but after struggling with the bolt reassembly without success numerous times I just broke down and ordered the bolt tool. Just couldn't seem to depress the extractor plunger & hold it to slide the extractor back in.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - July 25 2017 :  11:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hopleyyeaton

Decided to rebuild my '44 Inland & ordered all new pins & springs. Going to keep all the old parts for spares. Trigger group went easy enough but after struggling with the bolt reassembly without success numerous times I just broke down and ordered the bolt tool. Just couldn't seem to depress the extractor plunger & hold it to slide the extractor back in.

Hi, good move just be sure the "pawl" is seated correctly. If you feel resistance don't force it. Back off a little then see it seats itself. "Pawls" are easy to break, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.72seconds. Snitz Forums 2000