Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Practice
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WR Moore

USA
852 Posts

Posted - June 09 2017 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was doing some research and loading and decided I needed to test some of the loads. Had done the chrono work and now needed to see how they shot. Cleaning the rifle showed me I'd been slacking on cleaning when I last shot the rifle.

Looking at the shot log for the rifle, I realized I'd sadly neglected practice also. I don't recall getting a good stock weld in prone being as much work either. Sore neck. Finally quit trying to be one with the earth and got comfortable behind the rifle. I need to work on this some more. Did get down to 1/2 MOA and the experimental loads shot to POA once I quit yanking the trigger.

Just discovered an attached tick from the healthy strolls back and forth to the targets.

Some of the household stuff I put off till I retired is going to slide a bit occasionally. I need the practice.

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - June 09 2017 :  11:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta know the priorities, right?

I fired a perfect .42" group with my Ruger .44 the other day; then I ruined it by taking a second shot. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - June 10 2017 :  08:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to the practice!

I cannot tell you how many thousands of people I've told that marksmanship is a perishable skill - and so I have heard me say it thousands of times.

And yet, after retirement I've let myself get woefully out of practice.

A good friend in the training business says :"The maximum range of an excuse is 0 meters." - I don't even have an excuse - I've got 2 reloading rooms, and three buildings full of ammo (one isn't that large but the contents would cause Nancy Pelosi to vapor lock) and a range in the back yard - so go practice *dummy* (me)!

It does not have to be all that involved. If you don't have a range in the back yard you can get by with going to the range occasionally.

The smart guys tell me the key to practice is relevance and recency. If I budget 100 rounds per month I can keep up to about 80% of as good as I stay with 2000 rounds per month (I used to do even more than that).

I would rather spend that 100 rounds though in two sessions per month than one and then I'm never more than a couple of weeks off a practice session.

Naturally we could supplement that with "free practice" (dry fire) every day or every other day).

Yeah, ACE I've blown many a group like that :-)

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - June 10 2017 :  08:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The older I get the closer the targets seem to get. I explained that to my die hard Marine Dad but he insists on a 1911 with a one handed hold out at 25 yards. At 90 he still shoots darned well and old habits are truly hard to break. I have many people ask why I shoot so close and I explain the usual scenario's but you can see by the look in their eyes sometimes that they aren't really sure if I'm woofing them. I would never do that and I always tell them to practice as much as humanly possible.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - June 10 2017 :  09:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dry fire is good but you have to feel recoil at some point

I know folks that carry guns they've never fired.

I've had new guns that wouldn't function so carrying guns that I haven't fired would keep me up at night. I have had a weapon issued to me that I've never seen before and went on duty with it but it's bad practice.

go to the range and function check, you can check your zero and might even get a little training scar. some trigger time is better than none.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - June 10 2017 :  12:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

dry fire is good but you have to feel recoil at some point

I know folks that carry guns they've never fired.

I've had new guns that wouldn't function so carrying guns that I haven't fired would keep me up at night. I have had a weapon issued to me that I've never seen before and went on duty with it but it's bad practice.

go to the range and function check, you can check your zero and might even get a little training scar. some trigger time is better than none.

+1 to GW and Jim. I find short, focused sessions (50 rounds) done frequently, to be much better than cramming in 300 rounds because "I haven't shot in awhile".

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - June 10 2017 :  11:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IME short frequent practice, around 1-3 times a week, far better than once a month.

For me best ratio was 1-2 live fire a week plus 1-3 dryfire a week, only 2-3 guns full of ammo per livefire secession for revolvers & shotguns and maybe only one mag from things like AR.

Though that was defense focused out to 50 yards but majority at 15 yards and closer.

Need to remember bad practice just reinforces bad technique & habits.

And fatigue makes dangerous mistakes far more likely, something I learned the hard way more than once when work interfered with weight lifting. Had 100+ lbs fall on my chest once because I was lifting despite several 12-14 hour days of work, fatigue stupid on my part.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000