StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Bail Out Bags?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Bail Out Bags?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  2:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you all have one? The wife and I each have one though the wife's car is being repaired at the moment and she has a loaner and doesn't want anything personal in it.

As Jim H is so found of saying your mileage will vary. I have a 5-11 back pack that is quite roomy and ours are filled with items like: quik clot, Israeli battle bandage, a survival straw, a tourniquet, some over the counter paid meds, 2 MRE's, some bottled water, hand sanitizer, change of socks and underwear. A survival sleeping bag that contains the same reflective material that survival blankets do and weighs less that 2 lbs, really heavy thermal underwear, good winter coats in that time frame, and good gloves, A spare loaded handgun in .40 cal, .40 ammo that will work in both my pistols and the KT carbine, a couple of Magpul 30 rounders with windows loaded with CB DPX (I have a Magpul 60 rounder in my AR) Mobil One for gun lube, bore and chamber brushes, cleaning rod, patches, and complete spare AR bolt.Also have monocular night vision and really comfortable Rocky boots with steel toes.

Nah, it ain't light and I'm slowly working my way to carrying it for distances. Once I'm convinced the KT is reliable and dependable I'll have to figure out what to do with it.

Wife has her own AR and frankly she is a better shot with any firearm you hand her than I am

Anyway, I'm always tweaking it and have a heavy duty solar panel and transformer for it so I can regulate the wattage to whatever I'm trying to charge.

Every so often I go thru it and add and delete stuff. Just one old man's view on what's needed.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  2:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, but water is one of the biggest problems in any 'bail out' situation that lasts more than a few hours. Dehydration is bad... you won't think clearly while subject to it. A survival straw depends upon finding an immediate water source, and then there is nothing to put water in while you look for more water. That's not something I'd want to bet my life on. As Evan notes, some bottled water (and the bottles) is important.

My 'bail out bag' is lighter on med supplies ( I can jury rig much of it from the clothing I'm wearing, a roll of duct tape, some 1/4 inch Nylon cord, with some battle dressings)...

But there are a couple quarts of water in my bag. I cut bag weight by using a Space Blanket instead of something heavier, and Trail Mix & Power Bars in place of more sophisticated food. Water purification tablets are included, and one of my now empty quart water bottles can handle them and provide a water refill.

You can go days without food (and some of us might benefit from that.. the Smiley didn't insert here... but I did mean it that way!) ...but you can't go long without water.

Just ramblin'.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 26 2017 2:52:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't go no where without my canteen cup

I can cook in it, boil water in it, and while I'm at it make coffee if I got it ( and i do)

something to boil water is a must have in my bag, best way to purify water.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions for bags that support FAL/M1a mags?

I've got a nice patrol type bag that holds 4 AR mags and pair of Glock mag.

Called Eagle Patrol Bandolier IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I was bowhunting and staying out sometimes most of the day, I'd keep a empty water bottle about half full of dry oatmeal or Malt'o'Meal or Cream of Wheat. Fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake it up good, let it set awhile, and it made a decent filling meal. Could also use one of those larger-size pill bottles, and save some room in the pack. Not what I'd want to live on for days, but could if necessary; good 'filler' about noon, if staying out all day seemed a good idea. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  9:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Dov I haven't tried those Fal mags in my LAPS bags. But when I was putting my shotgun bag together I found that the mag flaps are adjustable.

If I get a chance I'll try a Fal mag in one of the pouch's.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally "realized", that the original stocks on my 12 gauge personal protection device are H-E-A-V-Y. Ordered some replacements in from Hogue, will try them out this week before the road trip to see the grandkids and son and daughter-in-law. Hopefully, DIL won't try to poach the shotgun too...
We've got a few bandelos of 12 gauge ammo for the shotgun we can throw around us or as a be,t if needed. Hopefully, we won't need them for the St.Louis part of the trip.
Although a few off my son's favorite que joints are in "downtown KC, MO, we won't be anywhere near KC, Kansas which is slightly more "rough" according to the online police bands I've been researching of late.
Our emergency/bailout72hr bags always go with us when we are on even a day road trip, just in case. We've been glad to have them a coup,e of times when traffic was backed up, etc.
I personally have found that the refreshing face wash/wipe from a disinfectant hand wipe really helps refresh me after being in the car for more than a few hours, and keeps the cooties down as well.
We have smaller zip-loc type bags with aches/pains OTC stuff, any regular meds we need to take, in the "snack bag" that is always on the middle of the back seat, reachable from either the driver or front passenger. We always have a "bang bag" that is between us (the front seats), on any road trip, a lot less contortions required to access than my OWB carry, or wife's preferred method of carry. Bang bang always has one or more high intensity small flashes in it and a reload of batteries and reloads for the bangbag occupants. The VERY few times we've ever been stopped (Iron County ,Utah Sheriff's Dept fishing expeditions), those goobers have never even SEEN the bang bagand we never felt the need to share it with them either.

Other than that, just another middle aged couple traveling or dawdling along...

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good topic, and timely.

I'm pretty much already "bailed out" here at the house but I do have a fall back position (that I own) about 3 miles as the crow flies (or the grunt hikes).

I would likely however try to drive there in my F-150 as it has more gear in it I might use. And it especially has more ammo.

But in any case, a bail out bag with water and some food and a suppressed .22 is a good Idea. If not suppressed then some of that CCI "quiet" .22 ammo is a good idea but it wont function many .22 autos.

GW's idea of a canteen cup or at least something to boil water in is capital! I have a camel-back inside my pack but something you can cook in is, I think, really necessary.

Fortunately all of my G.I. canteens have a cup on the bottom but I need to throw one in the truck and along with the bail-out bag.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on May 29 2017 3:27:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1017 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  8:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A way to boil water is a good plan. Walmart has a kit similar to the old GI kits that is inexpensive, but sturdy. Its made by the Stanley thermos folks, and doesn't take up much more space than one of those travel coffee mugs.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  03:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a step up for boiling water take a look at "Caldera Stoves" they offer very slick stoves.

Your choice of esbit/military fuel tabs or alcohol burning or both, as well as the Sidewinder Ti-Tri & Classic Ti-Tri also allow wood burning.

Though I haven't used it much I've had one of their kits for years, it lives in my suitcase with isn't just my suitcase but part of my bug out kit.

Big part of their appeal is the fitted windscreen that also acts as heat exchanger, which lets you boil faster with less fuel. I've been planning on getting gf her own mig sized one like mine, & eventually pot sized tri fuel (adds wood burning) one.

You can use HEET alcohol, the stuff for getting ice out of gas tank, as fuel in alcohol burners in a pinch though the fumes are toxic (fumes from many of the military solid fuel tabs are toxins well ) and the one type of HEET, can never keep differences straight very long the Red and Yellow bottles use different types of alcohol. Though the Fumes of both types are toxic, one type is also very bad idea to get on your skin.

Googling "Adventures in Stoving" should turn up a good site that covers the pros/cons of various alcohol fuels, as well as a lot of information on camping/hiking stoves.

Edited by - Dov on May 30 2017 03:05:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  07:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RUCAS HD alcohol stove sold on Ebay is another neat option: 1.35 oz, super-simple. Add a piece of aluminum foil to shape into a windscreen, you're good to go.

It's the Yellow HEET you're wanting for alcohol stoves.

One thing I've learned: keep the HEET in the plastic bottle it comes in. The RUCAS comes with an 8 oz 'fuel bottle', but the fuel evaporates or leaks from it over time; at least in the one I had.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 30 2017 08:00:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

630 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  07:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread.
I have several, depending on their application. two different bailout bags, maxpedition. One for comforts, snacks, water and one with just ammo and meds, lights, search stuff which now holds bottled water after an extended barricade that went south a few years ago where some water should have been in there not the truck. These are mainly for those immediate action 'gotta go fight now' encounters. I also have Bug Out Bags in the vehicles that contain many of the items already discussed and are intended to get me home or to another destination for extended periods. Don't forget power and commo, maps. Good boots, change of clothes.

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...
Go to Top of Page

ber950
Average Member

USA
362 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work in the city and don't drive. I figured out that I am the bail out bag. If I can't carry it every day, I can't count on it. I keep extra food and water at work and have a bag that I can carry home if I have enough notice but I know to depend on just what is on my person and my wits.

God, Guns, and Guts made America free. Let's keep all three.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  6:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that there are a tons of dedicated bailout bag on the market. However all of them scream GUN. If you need to be "undercover" try looking into some surplus gas mask bags.

A couple months ago I posted about a Finnish gas mask bag. It's a messenger style bag that has several pockets inside. A couple of these pockets are the right size to hold AR mags. These are not as deep as the LAPS bail out bags, but you could carry a fair amount of stuff in them.

These bags are surplus but in new shape, and the are going for $6.00 each from "Keep shooting".

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Edited by - wolfgang2000 on June 13 2017 3:29:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  6:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Dov I just I just checked both my LAPG bailout bags. On the jumbo, those mag pouches are deep. They are 1 1/2" over my AR mags. and the pouch flap doesn't adjust. BUT it will hold 1 FAL mag.

The regular size bag will hold 1 mag also, the flap is adjustable. This bag only has 2 mag pouches.

Several companies offer bag with just molle webbing on the out side of the bag. With one of those you could build you own bag.

Just food for thought.

Edited by - wolfgang2000 on June 01 2017 4:10:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - June 01 2017 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - June 02 2017 :  12:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dov, LA makes a bag with straps for a good price that you can add bags on the side its a bit smaller than the jumbo bag but looks a bit bigger than the small bail out bag. Good luck in finding what you want.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - June 02 2017 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After I left my last post, the idea of building my own bag started some gears turning. The LAPG "zombie hunter" molle bag has basically the same outside dimensions as LAPG regular bailout bag. which is 16"X11"X7". The regular bailout bag is only 6.5" deep.

If you watch the LA video on this bag I think you will like it.

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - June 02 2017 :  4:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, If you read Evan's post you will learn.... "I have a 5-11 back pack". If you're going to walk look into a QUALITY back pack. Fill it as you will depending on circumstances, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - June 02 2017 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have added that our family fall back location is 4 miles from us with a well, lots of food, lots of ammo, etc. If we had to walk there we would do it at night with my night vision monocular.

A good pack is what the wife and I both have and we can carry enough to cover our needs until we get there.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - June 03 2017 :  03:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I'd strongly suggest practicing the walking route in sunlight.

Can always do it in segments on different days to make it more convenient time wise.

Buddy of mine almost broke his neck while in infantry and doing manuvers at night using night vision, because real lack of depth perception with NVG.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - June 03 2017 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've walked it repeatedly.If it was for real both of us would have our AR's slung

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - June 04 2017 :  3:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, If you read Evan's post you will learn.... "I have a 5-11 back pack". If you're going to walk look into a QUALITY back pack. Fill it as you will depending on circumstances, regards, Mike

Hi Mike, I read Evan's quote on his 5-11 back pack. To my way of thinking that is more of a GOD (get or of dodge) or a get me home bag.

To my way of thinking a "bail out" bag is a smaller bag designed to support 1 of 2 weapons with gear and ammo that a person wouldn't normally carry on them.

I was addressing questions from Dov. He wanted to know if a M14 mag would fit in the mag pockets of the LAPG "bail out bags". With my limited knowledge I don't know of any over the counter bag designed to support 308 magazine. This is why I suggested he look at the MOLLE/PAL webbing on them.

While trying to help Dov, a light bulb turned on for me. I've been trying to put the finishing touches on my shotgun support bag. The MOLLE bags will allow me to build what I want. I've already ordered the MOLLE bag and magazine pouches. Time will tell if it all works together.

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - June 04 2017 :  10:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wolfie, I was not addressing my comment to you but just in general. I find back packs handier in transporting "stuff". I have never been fond of carrying magazines on gun bags. This is probably due to the many different platforms I use, probably too many. I like to use the GI solutions of the era that the weapon was used. These are and were just disjointed musings and opinions, just like me, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - June 05 2017 :  08:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... several different types of bags being talked about here, with a good deal of commonality/interchangability:

1) 'weapon support grab bag'--- specific-use bag, carrying ammo and 'accessories' for a weapon you don't ordinarily have with you: shotgun, FAL, AR. Grab it when you grab the long gun. Everything you need to keep it running.

2) 'here-to-there bag'--- items you need to get you from Point A (where you live) to Point B (your pre-stocked bugout location). If I'm understanding him correctly, that's what Evan is describing in his OP. Includes some items from #1 and #3.

3) 'longterm survival bag'--- a small backpack I carry in my vehicle when I'm on a trip: stuff I'd want/need to have with me if my vehicle broke down or was disabled or out of gas mired in traffic, and I had to head out on foot for an indeterminate length of time far from home. Small stove, fire starter, water, container to cook in, water-purification, sleeping bag or space-blanket bivy, lightweight tarp, rain gear, fixed-blade knife, first aid, clothes suitable to conditions, support for my weapon(s).

In my experience, the temptation is always gonna be to add more stuff, until the bag becomes too heavy to be practical. IMO your getaway bag(s) should be light enough that you can still move rapidly and nimbly if you need to: your life may depend on it! The last thing anyone needs in a bugout situation is a sprained ankle. Limit the size of your pack/bag to something you can carry comfortably over distance; not just when you're refreshed and at your best, but when you're tired and worn out. Even if you're just planning on going a few miles, you may be forced to 'detour'.

Good sturdy walking shoes suitable to the type of walking you're gonna be doing, if you're not wearing such already.

I also have an 'everyday' shoulder bag that's always with me wherever I go, contents varying somewhat according to season. Stuff I'd absolutely want to have in any sudden 'crisis': water, spare eyeglasses, flashlight and spare batteries, spare mags for my EDC pistol, first aid, fixed-blade knife, lightweight raincoat, space blanket, gloves, fire-starter.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on June 05 2017 08:58:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - June 05 2017 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike and Bill I agree with you both. My vehicle emergency kit contains 2 packs with gear enough to last us a week.

In my early working days I learned the brass, and the politicians don't like the "troops" walking around loaded down like Rambo. Not to mention all that stuff gets heavy during a normal shift.

Several of us but together "bags" that we could grab that contained handgun and shotgun ammo, and what ever the individual though they needed. My bag was a old WWII gas mask bag.

With the events like "active shooter", "suicide, bombers, stabbers, and shooters, it makes since, to me at least, for a officer to have something to grab so that he/she make it through one of the above events.

I know that "fighting the bag" is a learned art. But so is everything about shooting or LEO work. For me I've found that keep in as light as you can, and tether the bag to you some how.

As Jim has said in the past "you're responsible for your own salvation". With todays world wide shopping I'm sure a person can find something that will work for them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000