StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot, two types...
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot, two types...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JD

USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the range this week sighting in a new Mossberg 590A1 shotgun, 9 shot, 20" barrel, ghost ring sights. I sighted it in at 50 yards with the Sellier & Bellot Special Slug Sport 1 oz. slug load (My favorite slug load. Very accurate and reduced recoil so it doesn't kill your shoulder.).

Once that fun was done, I tried some Federal Tactical 00 reduced recoil 9 pellet loads. I had the original load, and then the same load with the Flite Control wad. At 25 yards, the original load produced approx. 12" groups from the cylinder bored barrel (Not bad, and much better than I expected...). The load with the Flite Control wad produced 6" groups. Both groups were nice and round, with the pellets evenly distributed.

At 50 yards, I only tried the Flite Control load, and it gave approx. 13" patterns. Very impressive!

Both buckshot loads had points of impact that matched very closely to the sights that had been zeroed for the slug load.

As expected, the Mossberg 590A1 chugged right along with no problems. I'm a happy camper!!!!

JD

Edited by - JD on May 11 2017 4:21:11 PM

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2613 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  5:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I didn't realize the non premium brands had Low Recoil slugs available.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

33982 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either load will kill you deader than Martha Washington!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

alnico357
Average Member

USA
447 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  8:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in shot patterns at 30 feet, the longest distance in my home for a shot. Loads of #4 buck and OO buck have all stayed on an 8X11" square, less than chest width. Standard 2 3/4" 12 ga shotgun shells are devastating.

Self defense is the Prime Law of nature and the most basic human right.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4862 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  02:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend avoiding the 4Buck, smaller pellets have less chance of penetrating to get where they need to go.
If by 'devastating' you mean they make a vicious-looking hole, of the two choices mentioned I'd suggest stay with the 00; if 'devastating' means it hurts like heck to shoot, my suggestion would be the Flite Control reduced recoil load. In the event the fan gets dirty, you likely wouldn't notice the recoil all that much anyway, but more comfortable practice will help build confidence---and save on the Aleve budget.

Then again, my choice of load is a slug. An old-timey Foster slug doesn't hurt a thing--except the bad guy--, they're inexpensive, easy to find, not over-penetrative, and proven. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9255 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

I'd recommend avoiding the 4Buck, smaller pellets have less chance of penetrating to get where they need to go.
If by 'devastating' you mean they make a vicious-looking hole, of the two choices mentioned I'd suggest stay with the 00; if 'devastating' means it hurts like heck to shoot, my suggestion would be the Flite Control reduced recoil load. In the event the fan gets dirty, you likely wouldn't notice the recoil all that much anyway, but more comfortable practice will help build confidence---and save on the Aleve budget.

Then again, my choice of load is a slug. An old-timey Foster slug doesn't hurt a thing--except the bad guy--, they're inexpensive, easy to find, not over-penetrative, and proven. Ace

I don't make many recommendations but I would observe that I won't use #4 buck on anything that weighs more than 50 lbs.

The lowest I'd go on buckshot for defense is #1 but I like 000 better and am not dissatisfied with 00.

Even so I like slugs a LOT! Then again, I know where everyone is located in my house at night - there are only two of us and the dog.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

alnico357
Average Member

USA
447 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  8:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I mean is any 12ga buck load at 30 feet is going to be devastating on the perp. I have 00 and slugs on hand also!

Self defense is the Prime Law of nature and the most basic human right.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  9:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess which version you want to use--- Flite-control or regular--- would depend on your expected distances.

Inside my house--- greatest distance maybe 10 yds--- I want as much spread as possible. So: no FC.

Take it outside, where distances may be 25 yd or more--- the FC takes over.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 27 2017 9:33:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nobby42d

USA
595 Posts

Posted - July 14 2017 :  01:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Nobby42d's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been stocked up with Fed.LE low recoil 9 pellet with fliteControl and their 8 pellet load without. Both pattern well in my 870s.
Then I heard about the "optimum performance" from #1 buck so I acquired some in full power Fed LE and some Win lead full power loads, with my new 930 SPX in mind. The Win produced doughnuts in my new SPX Mossberg, and was nothing to write home about in my two Scattergun Tech 870s.

The Fed. Tac #1s gave erratic performance. At 30 yds, one shot produced a 3" pattern, representing a very late shot release.
Another shot split into to groups, though both groups were fairly uniform. Only fired half a dozen rounds for testing and started at 30 yds, but was most interested in 25 yds and in performance.
Fed. Tac 00 buck performs well in all three shotguns and patterns are pretty good. The 8 pellet load without FliteControl looks prettier on paper. I'll be sticking with the 00 Buck and
with the 870.

We've got 'em now boys! George A. Custer, June 25th,1876--Little Bighorn, Mont.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2204 Posts

Posted - July 16 2017 :  11:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st round is 3" #000 followed by (7) 2.75" #00. Since there aren't any shot inside the house over 30' I'm not too concerned with the pattern. If the problem is outside it's rifle time.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000