Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger Hawkeye .223 does good
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Ruger Hawkeye .223 does good
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khclark

632 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  1:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to give up the .308 due to shoulder issues and ended up replacing it with a Ruger Hawkeye in .223 Rem (left handed) last fall. Put a Nikon ProStaff 4-9x40 scope that I had lying around on it. Finally got to the range to try it today. With some heavy bullet handloads and arms rested on the bench I got a sub 3/4" three-shot group at 200 yards. Others groups were a bit bigger (up to almost 1.5"), but an inch or less at 200 was the trend. Wow! Who says Hawkeyes are inaccurate?

revolvers: anachronistic yet efficacious

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only way I can shoot a sub 3/4" group at 200 yards it to shoot one-shot groups. Sounds like you got a keeper.
Just curious, what are you calling 'heavy bullet handloads'? Just bullet weight/style and velocity, please; no numbers per Rule 4. I'm slowly coming around to the possibility of proper .223 loads for deer around here, and always looking for ideas. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

khclark

632 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  5:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
69 grain boat-tail hollowpoint match. have not chrono'ed, yet.

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  9:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it is shooting good for you. My well used Howa I bought with factory 55 grain ball shoots fair at 200 yards. All in the head of the target and much easier to shoot than my mule kicking Mosin.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

khclark

632 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a joy to shoot. My shoulder had no problems during or after. With the .308, it got to where I was cringing with every shot (no 1" groups there). It's essentially just a long-range plinker for me, and in that role it will excell. The only drawback is that the .22 caliber holes are so small, I cannot see them with my scope from 200 yards, so I did a lot of walking (probably a good thing). Time for "shoot-n-c" targets, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  3:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khclark

It was a joy to shoot. My shoulder had no problems during or after. With the .308, it got to where I was cringing with every shot (no 1" groups there). It's essentially just a long-range plinker for me, and in that role it will excell. The only drawback is that the .22 caliber holes are so small, I cannot see them with my scope from 200 yards, so I did a lot of walking (probably a good thing). Time for "shoot-n-c" targets, I guess.

Those "Shoot N See" targets are God's gift to older shooters. I love 'em! Want to get a precise 200-300 yard zero? Yeah! Walk (or drive) down once... and then do the rest sitting on your butt with a decent spotting scope. That's not a snide remark, because that's what I do. I also have one of those targets sitting next to me on the bench so that I can look at the shot target (way down there) and then look at the one next to me (with a ruler handy) and not guess about scope corrections.

Just don't cheap out and put up just one. Stick a few of them up there. If ya don't shoot 'em ya can always pick 'em up and use 'em again.

But, if you get so discombobulated and make too many holes in one to figure out what ya need to do... then ya gotta go back down range and put up another. Put up several, and save the walking until you're done

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  10:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by khclark

Those "Shoot N See" targets are God's gift to older shooters. I love 'em! Want to get a precise 200-300 yard zero? Yeah! Walk (or drive) down once... and then do the rest sitting on your butt with a decent spotting scope. That's not a snide remark, because that's what I do. I also have one of those targets sitting next to me on the bench so that I can look at the shot target (way down there) and then look at the one next to me (with a ruler handy) and not guess about scope corrections.

Just don't cheap out and put up just one. Stick a few of them up there. If ya don't shoot 'em ya can always pick 'em up and use 'em again.

But, if you get so discombobulated and make too many holes in one to figure out what ya need to do... then ya gotta go back down range and put up another. Put up several, and save the walking until you're done

My 'dream house' has a back deck with one of those devices like indoor ranges have: where I hold my finger on the proper button, and the target comes to me.

Or--- maybe even better--- a manual version, where I reel it in, like old-fashioned clotheslines used to do.

Though I gotta admit, 300 yds is a stretch....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 11 2017 10:17:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  11:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya need one a them 'lectric motors with a real big drum for the cord.
'Course, given my luck, I'd probably whack the target line and still have ta wander all the way down there anyhow

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.34seconds. Snitz Forums 2000