Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - rifle for Alaska
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 rifle for Alaska
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1036 Posts

Posted - May 16 2017 :  07:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The .375 is a good big game rifle but on thin-skinned animals it often doesn't expand well. I shot a large bull elk twice in New Mexico in the '80s and had to track the blood 250 yards to find him. It was easy tracking because of blood on snow. Both bullets hit him in lungs and the exit holes were the same diameter as the entrance bullet holes.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - May 16 2017 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the FWIW column, a guy came to the store yesterday looking for 'that Buffalo Bore hunting load'--in 9mm. He's headed for Colorado, and wants a 'bear load' for his pistol. I'd venture to guess he heard about the 9mm/bear story, and is one of those who take it to mean it's a good 'load of choice' if you're in bear country. I told him the best use for a 9mm in a bear encounter would be to shoot your companion in the kneecap, and run like heck. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  12:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found 3" #000 buck to be unpleasant in a Mossy 500.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  06:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Dov, don't remember the weight but it was probably in the 9 to 10 pound range.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Whirlibird

USA
62 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  08:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a little late for this, but I built a .338 Federal chambered FAL rifle for a gent moving to Alaska.
He paired it with a .338 Mag stainless Ruger 77.

Had it DLC coated and threaded for a good brake, during testing I found
I could get 6 cases in the air while keeping everything on a 6" paper plate at 15y.

Still playing with the idea of building one for me.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  08:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Random thought here... my limited experience with the .375 H&H indicates (at least to me) that with a decently-shaped stock it has no more recoil that a 8.5-pound 12 gauge with slugs. On the plus side, it can drop 'food item' critters out past 400 yards if the shooter knows what they are doing. I can't say that about any 12-guage slug I've ever seen. At those ranges, they're like lobbing motor shells.

Agree on all points.

I have a little 20" Steyr .376 that weighs 8 lbs - I describe it exactly that way - it recoils just like an 870 with a slug.

Agree on the ballistics as well.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badge

Jim,.. it was Elmer Keith at Snug Island, AK all those many years ago. What impressed me was his description of the damage the .375 inflicted and the removal of a large section of bone from the charging Bear at very close range. It sold me on the .375 as well as some extensive reading from some PH's in Africa. What's best, I think about the .375's are that they are very controllable, even when firing from the bench. At least for me. I think the only other Big rifle I would purchase if money was of no object would be the .416 Rigby as I have fired a Ruger in that caliber and it too wasn't uncontrollable or abusive to shoot.

You just reminded me, I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .416 Ruger - I need to dig that out and give it some exercise

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  09:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by revjen45

I found 3" #000 buck to be unpleasant in a Mossy 500.

I've got a few big bore rifles but I too find that 3" magnum buckshot from a 500 is "more fun than I can stand" if I have to shoot a few rounds.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perrodelucha

I'm looking for opinions on what rifle in what caliber would be the best all around choice for Alaska. Maybe a Marlin guide gun in 45-70? Or maybe a Browning x-bolt in 375hh? All opinions and a brief explanation why are appreciated.

Hi, I've never hunted Alaska. There is a Cabela's in Anchorage that has in stock 6 .375 HH Mags, 3 .338 Win. Mags, and 43 .300 Win. Mags. rifles. I think that availability of rifles and ammo is a moot point. You can order any ammunition on line and any FFL will order you a firearm. Everyone loves the 45-70 but it may or may not be a cure all. A friend used his Marlin 45-70 to hunt pigs in TN. He knocked down the pig and after a minute the "dead" pig jumped up and chased the hunting party around in circles. The shooter has been in numerous shoot outs and took a shot across a 6 corner intersection that left me amazed; so he is a marksman. He's the best shot I've ever seen. This is my take and as I say I've never hunted Alaska. For defense from big bears I vote for the .375 HH. When I shoot this caliber off the bench I wear a Past magnum shoulder pad. It's not my rifle but it's got amazing ballistics. The best all around caliber would be the 30-06. Would I hunt big bears with it no. If you can find a copy of Jack O'Connor's " The Hunting Rifle", he talks about most hunting calibers and their strengths and weaknesses. When Jack hunted Kodiaks he used the .375 HH. One rifle is a compromise. I've had several 45-70 rifles including a Ruger No. 1, Marlin and a Winchester 1886. Loading up the Ruger you can push the 45-70 into .458 territory. My Bud who hunts around the world says if limited to one rifle he votes for one of the .300 Magnums. In a conversation with the late Les Bowman he suggested the 7mm Magnum. Just some random and disjointed thoughts, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

perrodelucha

USA
927 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  1:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  5:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Whirlibird

Might be a little late for this, but I built a .338 Federal chambered FAL rifle for a gent moving to Alaska.
He paired it with a .338 Mag stainless Ruger 77.

Had it DLC coated and threaded for a good brake, during testing I found
I could get 6 cases in the air while keeping everything on a 6" paper plate at 15y.

Still playing with the idea of building one for me.

If it wasn't for my health issues I'd be seriously budgeting for a pseudo Scout in 338 Federal to handload equivalent to 318 Westly Richards.

As best I can determine twist rate is same and 338/250 grain bullet should be bit shorter than 318/250 grain.

318 Westly Richards is same nominal case capacity as 30-06 and 338 Federal runs at higher pressure than 318 WR if my data is correct so should be easily doable.

Note: pardon Spellwrecker just updated this device and it lost all gun related words

Edited by - Dov on May 17 2017 5:17:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.59seconds. Snitz Forums 2000