Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Flooding
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Flooding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - April 30 2017 :  2:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people are learning the hard and fatal way about flood waters and testing Mother Nature. Sad thing is, children are also getting swept away & killed in these floods.
We hit the storm shelter last night. Neighbors with two small children joined us. No damage done, but we had two tornado warnings issued for our area.

Stay safe people. Pray for those in the paths of these ugly storms. If you see water, turn around don't drown.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - April 30 2017 :  9:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
End of April, and parts of the western end of the state are having blizzards. Pastor's wife got messages from friends out there that power is out in some areas.
Strangely, my first thought was 'How many of them planted their maters early?.' Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - April 30 2017 :  11:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been through one "tornado warning", last year in Kansas (Johnson County, Ace), while visiting grandkids, I'm glad our son and DIL had the foresight to have installed a tornado room in their basement! As a native Californian, I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes anytime, anywhere. Going out there in June, when as I understand, the tornado season calms down a bit.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  07:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When does the tornado season calm down for Oklahoma?

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
405 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice Arv and glad you all stayed safe.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  7:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pick a day in Kansas, it can be tornado season. Most likely March or April through August or September, but I hear there have been twisters in every month, at one time or another.

I'm not real trusting of tornado siren systems. TOM story: Back when I was working for a living, we had a 'watch'. I went to a hilltop with a good southwesterly view, and proceeded to 'watch'. Saw the big front coming in, then it got right over my location. The rain was coming down so heavy I could barely see the fences next to the road. The weeds in the ditch started whipping around in a circular movement, and the wind was so strong it slid my patrol car sideways several feet---that is to say, the tornado was right there. I notified dispatch, they acknowledged, after about five or ten minutes the sky cleared off, the sun popped out, the birds started chirping, the bees went back to buzzing....then the sirens went off. 'Permission' to sound them had to go through proper channels, don'cha see. I think I'd rather trust my own senses than some .gov goober deciding when to let people know they've already been hit by the weather. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  6:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of flooding around my area. The town of West Plaines took a big hit. Basically the business 63 area went under water. There are several section of US 63 still under water.

My little home weather station said I got 18.46" of rain last Saturday. Add another 4" if you add Friday to Monday.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000