Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - BHP Sight advice and counsel
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 BHP Sight advice and counsel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3893 Posts

Posted - April 15 2017 :  2:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, was shooting my BJP earlier this week, and realized that my bright fluorescent orange front sight is now more "blobbier" than ever, without my prescription shooting glasses on.
Any suggestions as to enhancing that front sight a bit more for more definition?
I'm fairly certain I won't be wearing my prescription shooting glasses when I'm carrying it as my focal points are different.
I used a and orange paint pen from Hobby Lobby for all my front sights and the work well without my glasses, just the BHP is giving me fits at present.
Even with the sorta blobby BHP front sight, my groups are very respectable.
Any counsel or advice would be appreciated.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)

WR Moore

USA
795 Posts

Posted - April 15 2017 :  7:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered bright aluminum/silver?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 15 2017 :  9:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XS Big Dot?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on April 15 2017 9:30:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4817 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to branch out to electronics? Red dot? Laser?? Asking as an old Luddite who has never bought anything more exotic than a Big Dot on a 640.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

607 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My eyes are worsening at focusing at arms length (and even worse closer in than that). I put a XS Big Dot on my new peewee Glock (43) and actually see and hit with it very well.

What I don't like about the Big Dot set that I bought is the tritium rear. The rear vial is so slim I can't see it in anything less than total darkness, way too dark to discern who/what I'd shoot at. And during daylight the rear has too little contrast to discern when focused on the front sight. For eyes that can't see very well at all the rear sight that is the painted line instead of the tritium is likely to be more usable. XS sells a tritium front/painted rear set.

My G19 is going to get a set (F-trit/R-paint) in a month or so. If you don't make a decision before then and want to know how I compare the two different rear models let me know.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  09:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same is true for me on the Big Dots I have on my Sigs. I outlined the sides and top of the rear vial with a thin line of bright orange nail polish, that makes it instantly visible to my old eyes.

I find the dot-over-post configuration to be quicker to align than the three-dot.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Edited by - LittleBill on April 16 2017 09:24:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluorescent orange fingernail polish is what I use on most of my front sights nowadays. That is what I have on most of my front sights now. Some have said to finish the polish with clear coat so the paint won't get dull. I need to try that since I've painted some of my sights a couple of times. hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill

997 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  12:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I got a weak bi-focal lens on a pair of shaded shooting glasses that worked wonders for me when range shooting. Since my cataract removal surgery, my eyesight is greatly improved and I see the sights well enough now to shoot without anything other than protective non-prescription glasses.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3893 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  1:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the counsel, guys. Seeing the optometrist this coming week, to see if we can work out a solution. I've grown a bit fond of the orange blob up front, so time will tell.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm,

I believe you could apply a ring of your chosen shade of orange around the outer circumference of the big white dot on the Big Dot front sight--- or even paint the whole dot orange around the tritium center. That might give you the best of both worlds....

C.S. Lewis

Edited by - LittleBill on April 16 2017 1:42:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  2:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Time to branch out to electronics? Red dot? Laser?? Asking as an old Luddite who has never bought anything more exotic than a Big Dot on a 640.

Jeff

I use reflex sights in rifle and handgun competition. I would NEVER put one on a handgun/rifle, as my only sight, if the gun was intended for self-defense. There are just too many things that can go wrong with batteries/switches/circuits/lenses.

You might look at the Advantage Tactical sights. I have them on both my primary carry guns and my very elderly, cataract-ridden eyes can see them well enough for SD.

Another option is fluorescent paint. I did an article on painting sights for the NRA "Shooting Illustrated" web sight about 6 months ago and it should be in archives and can be found. It details the procedure well. Just slapping on some paint is not always sufficient.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASCTLC

My eyes are worsening at focusing at arms length (and even worse closer in than that). I put a XS Big Dot on my new peewee Glock (43) and actually see and hit with it very well.

What I don't like about the Big Dot set that I bought is the tritium rear. The rear vial is so slim I can't see it in anything less than total darkness, way too dark to discern who/what I'd shoot at. And during daylight the rear has too little contrast to discern when focused on the front sight. For eyes that can't see very well at all the rear sight that is the painted line instead of the tritium is likely to be more usable. XS sells a tritium front/painted rear set.

My G19 is going to get a set (F-trit/R-paint) in a month or so. If you don't make a decision before then and want to know how I compare the two different rear models let me know.

I had the same problem with my G19. The rear sight was only bright in very dark places. I removed the sights and put on fiber optics.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4838 Posts

Posted - April 16 2017 :  8:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes, for whatever reason, we might see one color more clearly than another, even on different handgun sights. Maybe try some different colors on the BHP sight, see if another color shows clearer? Cheaper than buying tritiums and the XS--which are good products, but why pay for it if you don't need to?
I've had issues with different colors on different guns. My new .44 GP100 has the green fiber optic outlined in yellow, which works really well; my XD has orange on the front, which works better on that gun than yellow. Oddly, the other XS has the same yellow as the GP. Found all this out by experimenting.
In the FWIW column, I like to dot the rear sight with the same color as the front. Some folks don't like it that way; I don't care, it's my gun and I'll do it however I want. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9252 Posts

Posted - April 17 2017 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very difficult to "see" what others are seeing.

My eyesight, even corrected, is not that great. Through the distance part of my glasses the front sight is a bit blurry (not excessively so).

Even if one cannot focus "hard" on the front sight it is still possible for most folks to align normal Patridge sight system (square notch, square front post) with enough precision to hit a 10" target that is as wide as the front sight off hand.

The last year or so I've experimented with a "gaudy" green fingernail polish - it seems to show up *for me* better than the classic florescent orange I'm used to using. In orange I use Tester's model paint and I've never found a fingernail polish as bright but in green I have found one.

Still the orange works for me and I don't change all that many guns - one place it does is on old J-frames with the really thin sight.

I first paint the front sight with white fingernail polish and let it dry. Then I apply the bright green. I got it at Wal-Mart:

Salon Perfect Brand, Neon Pop Line, "Loopy Lime" color (the color is printed on the bottom of the bottle.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1565 Posts

Posted - April 17 2017 :  3:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, if you said it, I missed it--what kind of sights are on there now?

Many of the stock sights on BHPs are little slivers of metal that are hard to see. Painting them orange, as you've done, will help but the problem remains that there isn't much metal to see up there.

The rears often have a tight notch, that don't let a bunch of light through on either side of that skinny front blade, which makes it worse.

I think the best option is to put a better set of sights on there, but in the interim you might consider opening up the rear notch a bit. The extra light will make it easier to focus on that front blade.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 17 2017 :  4:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, I remember when I shot that BHP, I really liked the sights: in the good light of the range, the skinny square front blade and tight rear notch allowed for a much more precise aim than my Big Dots do.

C.S. Lewis

Edited by - LittleBill on April 17 2017 4:01:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3893 Posts

Posted - April 18 2017 :  03:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten,
I've got Trijicons in my BHP at present.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9252 Posts

Posted - April 18 2017 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Ten,
I've got Trijicons in my BHP at present.

Assuming it has a front dovetail take a look at Dave Spaulding's Ameriglo CAP front sight - it grabs the eye and is a night sight as well (the rear is not, which is fine by me).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - April 18 2017 :  10:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit late to the party, happens when my client moves to Sanpete county (Moroni) and people down there look at you with a blank stare when you ask about Wi-Fi
Since you are going to see your eye doctor have them look for cataracts. When I had my retinal tear the optometrist didn't see it at first until I mentioned it to her. The Opthamologist picked it up right away. IF you have insurance that will cover cataract surgery and you do have cataracts here is the tiny little secret. The only way you could have cataracts removed used to be if you had 20-200 vision with glasses. However the little secret is if while driving at night, and you see oncoming cars lights like looking at star fields and it drives you crazy driving at night (totally subjective as there is no test to prove you right or wrong.) Get your cataracts out if you have them as you will see so much better. If you don't have them yet, then Advantage Tactical sights are good, but if you have dovetails in your HP I'd look for a browning smith that would do some magic and put TFO's on it, even if you had to use another brand gun of TFO's to make the height work. Then once you have it done let me know so I can have mine done also
If I could have afforded it I would have the near/far cataract lenses with astigmatism correction put in. I just couldn't afford the 2,500 per eye extra for them.
Good luck in your search my thoughts and prayers are with you for your improvement to your vision. " If life was easy it wouldn't be so hard.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

607 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  7:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received and installed the Big Dot sight set with only a white painted line on the rear. As predicted, and hoped, it has much more contrast when focused on the front site and better for my eyesight.

I'll explore whitening the rear on the peewee Glock for the same effect. Hate to have spent the extra money for that tritium feature but no sense in suffering further by it not being as usable as I want/expect it to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000