Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - M1 Garand En Block Clip Loader
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 M1 Garand En Block Clip Loader
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - March 27 2017 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Filed under "stuff I really want, but really don't need". A M1 Garand clip loader. In the current Garand Collectors Journal, a member is advertising a copy of the clip loader designed by John Garand himself. The original was made in Cast iron and used Springfield 1903 clips for loading. There are plans online for one made of steel and one out of wood (?). You can make your own but I'm not that handy. If you do a search under "Norm's M1 Garand Clip Loader " you will see it in action on YouTube. Pretty neat, regards, Mike
PS: I talked to the seller and he's asking $425 + shipping, all steel, parkerized.

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

Edited by - Uncle Mike on April 13 2017 11:44:37 AM

jlwilliams

USA
223 Posts

Posted - April 17 2017 :  5:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ill stick with my thumb for loading them.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4838 Posts

Posted - April 17 2017 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thumbs are cheap, and most people have a spare. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

33956 Posts

Posted - April 18 2017 :  11:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even as uncoordinated as I am I always managed to get them loaded correctly. People are downplaying the quality of the current anticipated surplus crop from the Philippines but my Garand was produced in the fall of 1944 and despite the usual dings and stuff there wasn't a speck of rust, etc.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - April 18 2017 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Evan, no one knows what the Philippine Garands look like. Maybe the CMP brass but they are not saying. As for the clip loader it's not needed, it's not cost effective but it sure is slick, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9252 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  09:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually enjoy loading M1 Clips by hand - it connects me with my Dad's generation - I guess if I had to load thousands of them I might not be quite so happy

As it is I have several "spam" cans of 30-06 already loaded in clips and bandoliers anyway. I do have a bunch of new spare empty clips though - got them for a quarter each at a gun show decades ago.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4817 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Which reminds me... Last week I passed over something online where the writer claimed "There is no such thing as M1 thumb". I didn't bother to read how he reached that conclusion.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3677 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  1:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Which reminds me... Last week I passed over something online where the writer claimed "There is no such thing as M1 thumb". I didn't bother to read how he reached that conclusion.

Jeff

whatever you want to call it, it's one of those things you only want to experience once

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  1:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can assure all who are reading this thread that "M1 Thumb" does truly exist. And, it ain't from loading the clips. Please do not ask me how I know. I would prefer to forget those incidents.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4817 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  3:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the title was click bait. The context was that you can't get M1 thumb while loading a full clip because to do so the bolt would have to override the top cartridge to catch the thumb. That and the fact that very often the bolt stays back when the clip is seated and doesn't slam home until nudged forward by hand. This controversy goes back far enough that it was addressed in an M1 field manual. Now sending the bolt home on an empty magazine...

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, If you load a clip or close a bolt w/o the clip and use the outer edge of your hand to hold back the op rod, you will not get caught. This is shown in the M1 Garand booklet "Read This First", supplied with every Garand sold by the CMP. If you got caught you are not using the right method. No disgrace you just didn't have the information . I was told that some people are afraid of the mechanism. When I show/sell or let someone shoot a Garand, I show them how to load using dummy rounds. I never had an accident, regards, Mike

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3677 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  4:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some of that depends on bolt release timing, if you got one that releases early and ain't paying attention it will get you, usually when closing the bolt on an empty rifle.

but one good time usually provides an appropriate amount of training.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

some of that depends on bolt release timing, if you got one that releases early and ain't paying attention it will get you, usually when closing the bolt on an empty rifle.

Hate to admit it, but it took me twice. Of course, I have always been a slow learner

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  5:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For real: research has shown that pain helps you remember!

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4817 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  6:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People have told me that if we learn from our mistakes I must be a really fast learner. I wonder what they mean by that...

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3765 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  7:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I must be a pretty learned guy by this time then....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1510 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  10:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

Hi gw, if the timing is off then you need to replace parts as this causes jams and miss feeds. That's why there is a timing block/gauge. Usually it will not close at all and it's the bullet guide. If your hand edge is holding the op rod handle back it can't close. Point your hand forward towards the muzzle, parallel to the op rod, on the right side. Turn your hand down 90degrees. Push your hand against the op rod handle. Push the clip down with your thumb, easy, peasy, Mike

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9252 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

I can assure all who are reading this thread that "M1 Thumb" does truly exist. And, it ain't from loading the clips. Please do not ask me how I know. I would prefer to forget those incidents.

Amen to that! It is sorta like burning yourself on the stove - it only takes once to convince you a repeat of the event is not wanted.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000