Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Saw open carry at Sam's Club
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Saw open carry at Sam's Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiasconva

USA
207 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in Sam's Club this morning and noticed a man open-carrying in the store. He was well dressed and not trying to show off or anything like that. He sat down beside the wife and me at the food tables so I asked if Sam's had a no guns policy which I had read on other forums. He was a nice guy and said Sam's doesn't have the policy but Costco does and that's why he changed memberships. Just thought I'd pass on that info for you.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  6:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people just didn't get to watch enough Roy Rogers when they were kids. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  11:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our son works for Costco, and I've never seen any signs on any Costco warehouse prohibiting concealed carry . I carry in all Costco. Warehouses we've been in across this country.Employees are not allowed to have firearms on premises when they are working as part of their employment agreement, Costco members have no such provisions I am aware of in the 28 plus years we have been members.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcom, the Costco in Franklin TN, had a no guns allowed posted sign the last time I visited.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if folks who choose to carry openly have thought about what a big advantage that gives to any bad guys who may be observing them?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to irk some people when I say this. But IMHO open carry is Tactically Stupid.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  08:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when I was stationed in North Carolina years ago open carry was the only legal method available to civilians, no concealed permit was available.

the trick was once you enerted a vehicle, at that point you were carrying concealed if you didn't place the weapon in plain sight while traveling.

I don't mind open carry, but a few of the folks I've seen are trying to make a political statement or act like they are looking for some type of confrontation.

looking for trouble is always a bad plan, you will usually find it......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  2:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

when I was stationed in North Carolina years ago open carry was the only legal method available to civilians, no concealed permit was available.

the trick was once you enerted a vehicle, at that point you were carrying concealed if you didn't place the weapon in plain sight while traveling.

I don't mind open carry, but a few of the folks I've seen are trying to make a political statement or act like they are looking for some type of confrontation.

looking for trouble is always a bad plan, you will usually find it......

I'll agree to that, and I'll amend my statement on open carry to say that if it is the ONLY legal option available... then, OK. The pitfalls of open carry are still better than a pocket knife.

However, if a concealed carry option exists it is not only 'Tactically Stupid'... but doubly stupid.

If thugs are looking to get a free gun it only takes two of them to take that gun away.... one from the front and one behind on the totally exposed gun side.

I'd love to read the LE report filed on that one... "They took my gun away from me!"

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on March 22 2017 2:21:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Po Pop, The Franklin, warehouse is not one I've been to. In my experience the ones I've been to, including in some notoriously antiSecond Amendment states, haven't had any firearms prohibited type of signage. I don't know IF, there's a specific corporate policy prohibiting Cost o members they cannot carry concealed, and there is nothing on Costco's website either, as of today.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some many years ago, I bought a muzzle-loader rifle at WalMart. Finished up the purchase and was ready to go, but the clerk--also the manager of the Sporting Goods section--said I had to wait for someone to carry it out of the store for me. Seems they don't let the customer carry any firearm purchased through the store; they might stop and load it and start shooting people, don'cha see.
Thought about asking him if he wanted to carry my other guns, too, but decided against it. Told him I was sure glad they had rules about loading the gun in the parking lot and coming back into the store, if someone was so inclined.

One of the silly arguments I've heard pro-open carry is 'I OC all the time, and nobody even notices.' Might be true, then again maybe nobody wants to say anything about it, not knowing what kind of attitude the OC'r has. There have been recent cases where OCC's have been robbed of their guns; I seem to remember a couple where the OC'r was badly hurt or killed in the mugging. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  5:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks who OC thinking they're making some kind of "political statement"--- to who?

Anti-gunners are just gonna be alarmed, and most likely end up even more anti than before. That's not the way to persuade anybody: by alarming them.

Doing it in a spirit of "in your face--- I'm doing it because I can, if you don't like it, that's your problem!" are setting the pro-gun 'cause' back, IMHO.

A bad guy looking to rob the store is gonna take you out first if he sees you're armed. A bad guy who sees your gun and decides it should be his can choose the best opportunity to bushwhack you.

What's the advantage to OC? I don't see any.

I want the first clue that I'm carrying a gun to be the sound of my gunfire.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on March 22 2017 5:58:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  7:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Some many years ago, I bought a muzzle-loader rifle at WalMart. Finished up the purchase and was ready to go, but the clerk--also the manager of the Sporting Goods section--said I had to wait for someone to carry it out of the store for me. Seems they don't let the customer carry any firearm purchased through the store; they might stop and load it and start shooting people, don'cha see.
Thought about asking him if he wanted to carry my other guns, too, but decided against it. Told him I was sure glad they had rules about loading the gun in the parking lot and coming back into the store, if someone was so inclined.

One of the silly arguments I've heard pro-open carry is 'I OC all the time, and nobody even notices.' Might be true, then again maybe nobody wants to say anything about it, not knowing what kind of attitude the OC'r has. There have been recent cases where OCC's have been robbed of their guns; I seem to remember a couple where the OC'r was badly hurt or killed in the mugging. Ace

no, I've had to point out someone carrying to other folks, most people apparently don't notice happlily involved with there smart phone.

that's another problem.....

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 22 2017 :  10:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'A bad guy looking to rob the store is gonna take you out first if he sees you're armed.''

When I mention this to the OC cowboys, one frequent response is 'Name a time that has happened.' Guess if it hasn't happened yet--though I think it has--that means it ain't gonna.

gw, I've seen people who appear to miss seeing the gun, last time I recall was in a crowded buffet. But watching the crowd, there were also a lot of folks who obviously saw it, but didn't make it known.
People shouldn't be allowed to use smart phones unless they are sitting down--and not in the car. Ace

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 23 2017 :  07:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

'A bad guy looking to rob the store is gonna take you out first if he sees you're armed.''

When I mention this to the OC cowboys, one frequent response is 'Name a time that has happened.' Guess if it hasn't happened yet--though I think it has--that means it ain't gonna.

gw, I've seen people who appear to miss seeing the gun, last time I recall was in a crowded buffet. But watching the crowd, there were also a lot of folks who obviously saw it, but didn't make it known.
People shouldn't be allowed to use smart phones unless they are sitting down--and not in the car. Ace

IIRC there was a recent incident in a Walmart. Pair of BGs, a man and a woman, not standing together. As I remember it: an armed citizen who was carrying concealed observes the male BG pulling his weapon and acting suspiciously; the citizen draws his in response. Female BG sees the good guy draw, gets behind him, draws her weapon and shoots him in the head.

Not the same as if the citizen had been open-carrying; but shows how BGs intent on evil are likely to respond to the sight of an armed citizen.

Edited by - LittleBill on March 23 2017 07:57:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - March 23 2017 :  8:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LB! That occurred in Las Vegas, last year. Sad situation, and NOT assuming ANY female can/will kil you just as fast as any male can, in my opinion is idoitic

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 24 2017 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep! Not to mention "sexist".....

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And: just because you only see one BG, don't automatically assume that he's alone....

Edited by - LittleBill on March 25 2017 06:46:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard B

USA
179 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  08:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW, As a resident of North Carolina I initially only got a concealed carry permit so that i did not have to lay my Ruger GP100 with a 6 inch barrel on the front seat for everyone to see when the car stopped. The CC permit allowed me to cover it with a newspaper. I have evolved since then; a G-19 or G36 can fit in the glove box or an LCP fits in a front pocket.

Richard B

Don't take life so serious son, it ain't nohow permanent. Miz Beaver in Pogo
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came close to being arrested nine years ago when I got caught in a speed trap on I-95 in south Georgia. When the young officer asked me if I had any weapons, I told him yes: two unloaded Sig pistols in the bottom of my backpack.

He told me I was in violation of GA law: they were supposed to be sitting on the seat in plain view. It sounded like he was inclined to arrest me for carrying concealed weapons.

Fortunately his older colleague who came along at that point was mellower: after running the guns to make sure they were legal, he said: "You told the other officer the truth. I'm gonna let this slide. Keep them on the seat while you're in GA."

Edited by - LittleBill on March 25 2017 09:28:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  09:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

I came close to being arrested nine years ago when I got caught in a speed trap on I-95 in south Georgia. When the young officer asked me if I had any weapons, I told him yes: two unloaded Sig pistols in the bottom of my backpack.

He told me I was in violation of GA law: they were supposed to be sitting on the seat in plain view. It sounded like he was inclined to arrest me for carrying concealed weapons.

Fortunately his older colleague who came along at that point was mellower: after running the guns to make sure they were legal, he said: "You told the other officer the truth. I'm gonna let this slide. Keep them on the seat while you're in GA."

GA now recognizes FL CCW permits. And, presumably, a number of other states as well.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  09:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it!

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  11:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard B

GW, As a resident of North Carolina I initially only got a concealed carry permit so that i did not have to lay my Ruger GP100 with a 6 inch barrel on the front seat for everyone to see when the car stopped. The CC permit allowed me to cover it with a newspaper. I have evolved since then; a G-19 or G36 can fit in the glove box or an LCP fits in a front pocket.

I got caught stowing my unloaded S&W in the trunk back then. The Deputy said throw it on the dash while traveling and all would good.

Fayetteville NC was a rough place. Rednecks, bike gangs, and GIs didn't always mix well. Lots of alcohol and drugs, everyone seemed to be carrying legally or not.

I had a good friend shot to death on the way home one night near a club called the Flamming Mug. Another was stabbed to death trying to stop an Hispanic gang from assaulting a women near the main gate.

A bar owner in the County tried to stop a bike gang from entering his place with open carried handguns. After a major firefight 2 bikers were killed, the owner and his wife was shot up and crimpled.

Folks back then and probably today have no idea the number of serious operators that are stationed in the area. Back then Vietnam vets, SEALS, and founding members of "DELTA" roamed the street. If you wanted trouble it was around.

it hasn't got much better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.38seconds. Snitz Forums 2000