Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Improving home security project
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Improving home security project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajt

USA
201 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been reviewing the security of our home and have added to and improved the outside lighting all around the house, including our fenced in back and side yards. We added cameras with speakers on the front and back entrances, and finally got an emergency generator installed. Our home defense plan is that, with any warning, everybody goes upstairs to the safe bedroom – the door is metal and the doorway is reinforced. There is a gunsafe in the closet (not a fire safe) that contains carbines in 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 with one mag inserted and one on the buttstocks. Two more for each are on the safe door, all are color coded by wide tape, to match the carbines’ magwells. There are four sets of ear muffs for us, including electronic muffs attached to the long arms. There are also four handguns with two spare mags each, and two ‘airhorns’ to blast out of the windows to get the neighbors’ attention, in addition to four flashlights, extra batteries, and a hand held high-output spotlight, and a pair of charged trac-phones. A first-aid kit, a large fire extinguisher, a box of high energy snacks, and a rope ladder if escape is absolutely necessary, and a set of house keys attached to a blaze orange paint stick to throw to responding police, completes the preps. There is a full bath attached to the bedroom, no other entrances. I don’t know what to do to reinforce the wall past the entry door. Any shots missing any armed intruders and fired from the top of the staircase should end up in the floor or through to the storage area of our basement. I home carry and do not have any other firearms stored on the main floor as I do not want to add to the armament of any home intruders or burglars. I’m not comfortable about this. Can you offer any suggestions to this problem or offer any suggestions for improvement to the current plan? How can I economically reinforce the inside wall bordering the hallway?

ASCTLC

630 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how much room you have on the wall you want reinforced but a book case filled with books should be effective yet not violate the WAF.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5225 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  1:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home security has to be in layers. Locked gates on fences, storm/security doors LOCKED. Motion lights I like more than a light always on, or add to each corner. A light suddenly coming on would draw attention, something prowlers & burglars do not want.

Walls can be beefed up, but that would be a construction issue. Concrete board then tile applied would be a option for say lining a interior bathroom wall. Tile is easy to clean, and the tile & board would offer some barrier.

A small dog could be a option. I know my Lucy-Dog who steals my pillow often at night will be up over the slightest thing. A barking dog on strange sounds and movement is handy

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  8:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember fire or medical far more likely to be issue, so make sure you have Fire & carbon monoxide dectectors and that batteries are replaced regularly.

Other thing is many (all?) smoke detectors are only good for 5-7 years because they rely on tiny amount of radioactive material that wears out like tritium night Sights.

I don't think the test button tests that functionality, only battery/speaker/circuit.

For responding Emergency services make sure house numbers are big and easy to see in multiple bad conditions.

I'd even consider a strobe light tied in with alarm or manual switch, high enough to be seen block or two away.

Medical might be issue after home invasion attempt.

There are several good thread we've done before that touch on this topic, I'll try and look few of them up tomorrow and post them.

Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
201 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  9:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was referring to the wall between the bedroom, which is our safe room, and the hallway. The doorway and door have been reinforced. I have no idea of why an intruder would actually want to get to us when he/they would have access to the whole house, but a friend pointed out to me that intruders are not too stable and could kick through the dry wall between the 2x4s, or just go nuts when they couldn't get in the door and start shooting through the walls at us. Now I think that both scenarios are highly unlikely, as much as them leaving us a donation when they see how slim their picking would be! However, once the seed of thought is planted in your mind.... . (That's one of the problems of having too much time on your hands - too much time to overthink things.)
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
201 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ASCTLC, Arvinator, and Dov - Thank you very much for your advice and comments. As I get older, the thought process just doesn't naturally move forward like it used to. And that really bothers me
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4964 Posts

Posted - March 20 2017 :  10:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cell phone to back up/replace hard-line? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
620 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We installed "Larson Security Storm Doors" on our home. They have heavy frames with double pane glass with the 3 M plastic in between the glass panels. Have 3 closure points with substantial locks on them. Can not throw or break the glass, so the company says(guaranty). A draw back is they are pricy, and heavy but... Google them, and they can be purchased at Lowes. They will even install them.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - March 23 2017 :  01:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meant to have this sooner and better but it's been rough week health wise.

Here are some previous threads on general topic:

Home Security

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21766&whichpage=1

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4766

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12882

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20541

http://stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13679

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - March 23 2017 :  01:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah here is another good thread, couldn't find it the first time http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26412
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - March 23 2017 :  08:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joel Skousen has published a good book on home security, called The Secure Home. Includes good tips on making an existing home more secure.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on March 23 2017 08:03:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - April 30 2017 :  7:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any upgrade in security is a good upgrade I think. Lighting is very important as are alarms. Conferring with your spouse on possible issues are very important as you must have a plan should something terrible happen. Be prepared or as prepared as you can be.

MSS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000