StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Offbody and/or vests for doctor visits?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Offbody and/or vests for doctor visits?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  1:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having to make a lot of visits to hospital/clinic to get tests done and consult with doctors.

Don't like going unarmed, specially to the larger hospital out of town, I used to live outskirts of that town and worked couple of jobs around the hospital buildings, attacks certainly happen on occasion in those parking ramps.

Hate fanny packs but think I'm going with one today, gf will babysit it and my other stuff after we get there since I can wear that with sweats & t shirt (I might need to switch to gown) often with sweats and t shirt they don't bother with gown for attaching various torture devices.

Though next week have a test I'll have to be naked, literally, for since involves powder all over skin.

Anyway just looking for suggesting, know several people here have gone through lot of medical stuff.

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lap tops bags. Carry a handgun and folded Kel Tec Sub 2000. The minute I pull my mini I Pad out of the front compartment everybody ignore the bag.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Shoot-me-first' fishing vest. Lotsa pockets, room for small-but-adequate gun(s) (Ruger LC9, snub .38, and such), spare ammo, wallet, checkbook, snack bars, miniature first aid kit, flashlight(s), a knife or two, phone, spare change, a pair of skivvies and socks, length of rope or paracord, maybe a sandwich and soda in the back pouch----biggest limitation is your imagination. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry a backpack when I go for a medical appointment. I had to go for some scans when kidney stones were bothering me, so the gown had to be worn. I put my wallet, money clip, keys and guns in the backpack. The backpack accompanied me into the room where the scan took place.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  4:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was going to a place for a medical exam... where there were no prominent "No Guns Allowed" signs backed by legal penalties. I believe I would carry a snubby in each front pants pocket.

When they tell ya to "shuck clothes" they let you put your Levis up and don't normally mess with them. Two lightweight snubs can easily go totally unnoticed.

Just my thought on that. I'm with the VA, so there is no way I'm carrying a gun inside... even though I may want to. That's prison time there.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - March 14 2017 :  6:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing most hospitals probably have a 'no guns' sign on their doors. I know when my Dad was dealing with colon cancer and I was taking him to the hospital on a regular basis, there were several such signs that I never noticed. I keep my guns well-concealed in those situations; and wasn't going to have to undress.

I guess it varies from state to state and locality to locality what the penalties are for failing to notice the no gun sign. As Chris points out, if you're risking a serious crime, better to figure out other legal weapons you can carry and leave the guns in your vehicle.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on March 14 2017 7:15:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - March 15 2017 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the fanny pack. When I go to the doctor taking the pouch off I'm divested of everything but my BUG, it's in my rear pocket. If need be it will fit into the pouch also.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1039 Posts

Posted - March 15 2017 :  5:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking fishing vest -- holds one semi-auto in each side pocket
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  09:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gauchobill

Nice looking fishing vest -- holds one semi-auto in each side pocket

Do you happen to know brand/model of your vest so I could find it on Amazon or Google?

I've got two fanny packs but don't really like them, have couple vests which sort of work, but vests I have don't fit quite right.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd mention my gf has started taking her wheeled suitcase along, and I've noted now that I'm looking for it that a number of other women are using two wheeled luggage or luggage carts (sorta like a very light weight version of dolly for moving crates or boxes).

I'd use one of those but they tend to have to short of handle for me to use comfortably.

Err not that I keep CCW in there while I'm carrying, but between paperwork and etc it makes carrying stuff lot easier.

We learned hard way year ago to bring food and such, because sometimes the consults lead to bunch of tests that last all day, with us running from one dept to next with no time to go get food.

Plus she carries iPad and knitting/crafting stuff to pass time.

Edited by - Dov on March 16 2017 09:49:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1039 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  5:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dov, my "fishing vest" came from one of NRA's functions, I believe. The brand is BLUESTONE SAFETY PRODUCTS and their website is www.bluestonesafety.com. It has two upper pockets on front approximately 6" deep X 5" wide and two large lower pockets (one on each side) measuring approximately 7" deep X 8" wide. It doesn't have a lot of frills like real fishing vests, but this vest is near perfect for concealed carry of 2 handguns and all sorts of magazines in the upper pockets.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  09:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
854 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  7:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the local facilities have the no guns except for law enforcement signs. There's a new facility that just has NO GUNS! with no exceptions. It'd be nice if the LLEAs refused to enter the place.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

795 Posts

Posted - March 18 2017 :  02:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Washington State, "No Firearms Allowed" signs do not carry the force of law. I had two doctor visits this week for kidney stones. J-frame on my ankle, another J-frame in my jacket pocket, and a KelTec P-3AT in a cell phone case on my belt. I left my G-26 in my truck. It would be a little too obvious if the Doc needed to do some pushing and prodding. I don't think he would have a problem with a firearm since he retired as an Army physician a few years ago.

I do have a couple of leather fanny packs designed for quick access that will hold any of my Glocks and extra mags. Each of them has a large Nikon patch glued on the front and they look like they probably are made for a camera. I think that they look a little unusual in many settings, like church, or a doctor's office.

They look and work great when I'm out and about in other situations, but my normal carry is a high cap 9, IWB under an un-tucked shirt. I got the idea of the camera patch on the fanny pack from someone on this forum.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000