Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Emergency radios, a observation
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Emergency radios, a observation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - March 11 2017 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was checking my vehicle emergency gear prior to a trim to Louisiana. One of the items is a emergency radio. It's one of those multi power types that "can recharge your phone".

Since I got the radio around 05, I checked the plugs. They were the round types designed for the older flip phones. These days most every thing is One of the USB plugs. I did a quick amazon search for a possible adapter, that would go from the round plug to USB. It wasn't to be had.

It will probably be easier to replace the radio. Now to find one that is multi powered, that functions well as a radio, without to many unnecessary gizmos.

If you have had your emergency gear for a while, you might want to check and see if is still compatible with today technology.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 11 2017 :  10:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electrician or HAM person should be able to make you a cable easily.

I'm not sure the voltage would be compatible though without seeing device.

For charging phone an external battery like "AmazonBasics Portable Power Bank - 16,100 mAh" is only $30 that will charge an iPad 2 twice or cell phone 6+ times or the smaller 5,600 mAh is about half the price.

I've had a different brand 5000 mAh for few years.

They also have smaller ones that will fit on keychain that give partial charge to maybe a single charge for cellphone. Some of these have built in short cable.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4372 Posts

Posted - March 12 2017 :  08:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'Jump-N-Carry' 1700 amp portable jump-charger I carry in the trunk of my ride has charging outlets for USB and 12v. male cords.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - March 12 2017 :  6:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goal zero makes solar panels as well as battery packs that can be hooked to just about anything. Made in Utah and they actually asked a bunch of Hams that are in emergency communications what types of connectors to on their battery packs. So you can blame me and my group. Most emergency groups across the country use a specific plug called "anderson connectors" we have and make adapters to fit just about anything. It doesn't answer your question about your radio, and I haven't seen one for a long while (probably since they first came out with the old style plugs) Like L.Bill said there are lots of batteries that use lithium style batteries to start just about everything from cars to phones. But Lithium batteries need smart chargers or they go boom. (sometimes even then just ask samsung). . Lithium ion is less prone to "vent with explosion" and seems to be more stable. I'd keep the radio, until you can find a replacement and just get a battery charger battery or solar panel that you can use. Oh and I'd look into getting your ham radio license the basic license is passing a 35 question multiple question test and radios that you can put in your car are about 150.00. antenna's extra. If you are interested all the questions and answers can be found multiple places. www.qrz.com will let you take practice tests. www.hamstudy.org has all the questions for the 3 tests and answers as well. (government tests are like that) you can study and find a testing location at an area near you. the test cost is 14.00 or abouts, is renewable every 10 years for free if you go to fcc.gov. and you meet some of the nicest people, I know as I is one N7QGA extra class license and testor. and as us hams say 73 ( means best regards)
Just never expect me to send 88 to any of you mugs.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - March 13 2017 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep a small pouch in each veh. that contains a multi plug, (it can be plugged in to either 12 volt or 110), a cable to fit each device, and a cable what has interchangeable ends to fit 8 different devices. It also holds a battery pack that can be recharged by solar or plugged in to a power source. It can recharge my phone at least twice.

I am looking into these "jump-n-carry" battery packs. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Technology is moving forward and changing faster than it ever has in history. Many, myself included tend to but an item then check it off your list and forget about it. Every now and then we need to look at said items and see if it will still fill the needs we have for it.

I will keep the radio, but will find a updated model for my vehicles. Newer models are just more efficient. The batteries are better, the solar panels charge faster etc.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - March 13 2017 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an original $800 solar panel at closeout at Amazon for $150 and picked up a control that will moderate voltage routed to various devices. I can charge a lap top and two phones it at the same time. Also have two windup radios, and a whole lot of typical Mormon end of the world stuff.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000