Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Double action 1911
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Double action 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sigger

USA
75 Posts

Posted - November 06 2016 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I realize "double action 1911" is an oxymoron - no such thing, but allow me to ask a question. I am not allowed to carry single action only, but really like the feel of the1911. Is there, or was there, a decent double action 1911? I know Para Ordnance made one, but they have a poor reputation. I think Colt once made a double action???

Thanks.

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5048 Posts

Posted - November 06 2016 :  10:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know about any currently manufactured DA 1911-types, but there is an after-market safety out there that lets you carry hammer down, then when you drop the safety, it cocks the hammer and ready to fire. Doesn't turn it into true double-action, but does mitigate the unreasonable silly fear in those who are scared by a cocked hammer. I'd tell you the name and company, but I don't remember right now. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Advanced Member

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  12:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at the CZ 97 B?
Go to Top of Page

Vanman

USA
189 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  06:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colt made the Double Eagle and the Double Eagle Mark II. They were based on the 1911. I see them on Gun Broker from time to time, in fact there is a Commander size listed now ending later today.

Edited by - Vanman on November 07 2016 06:15:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

miragetex

USA
100 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  11:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an irrational attraction to the Para light double action pistols. They do indeed have a "poor reputation," and sometimes with good reason, but my experience is that those that work, continue to work, and those that don't work sometimes can't be made to work. I went through several before I landed on a .45 LDA that has been Ruger-like reliable.
The LDA trigger feels like the smoothest revolver trigger ever, and I grew up on revolvers so maybe that's why I like it so much. I can't say I like it more than a "real" 1911 SA trigger, but if you can't carry a single action only pistol, it's the best game in town. Para made many variations of size, caliber and capacity, so there should be one that meets your needs out there.
But reliability is king, and you may have to kiss a few frogs to find a Para that always works.
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  3:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

I'd tell you the name and company, but I don't remember right now. Ace

The SFS system. You can get it for the HP or the 1911 from Cylinder and Slide or Brownell's.

I have one on both my HP and my Gold Cup. They work great. And no change to the manual of arms for normal carry options. And no discomfort about carrying in a holster without a safety strap.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

garrettwc
Advanced Member

1017 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  6:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DA/SA offerings from HK (HK45 & USP 45) are probably the closest thing to a 1911 double action pistol that is currently offered.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
75 Posts

Posted - November 10 2016 :  9:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I found the SFS. Looking at the Para LDA.
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
813 Posts

Posted - November 11 2016 :  12:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Para LDA

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
75 Posts

Posted - November 11 2016 :  5:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Nanuk

Para LDA

Nanuk,
I read somewhere that the better Para LDA was made in one location, but can't remember if it was Canada or the U. S. Just recall reading that the quality changed.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 16 2016 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you shop around you can probably find a slightly used LDA pretty cheap.

I bought a brand new one some years back for $400. I bought it because I was planning on taking an instructors course at our state academy and at the time they did not allow SA autos.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Para but I have to say, I have 4 of them and none have given me problems. I only have the one LDA.

It is a completely different critter and is a DA in name only - the lower half of the hammer (invisible from outside) is actually cocked and you are only drawing the upper half back with the very light trigger "slack" - when it is back you are then tripping the regular 1911 type sear and that drags the upper part forward.

It is a "gimmick" of sorts but then it was meant for the exact purpose you have in mind - to beat some silly rule that makes no sense in the first place. Ironically, I bet your outfit allows Glocks which are cocked (albeit 3/4 cocked) with essentially no safety.

One thing I don't care for in Paras is the ramped barrel that does not offer an advantage in a 1911 style gun (it might in guns with less of a slope to the ramp). That said, if they work they won't stop working and most of them do.

Colt did make a DA gun like a 1911 (it used the 1911 slide and barrel) but it was atrocious and died a justifiable death.

Seacamp did conversions on 1911s and a company, I think, called ODI Viking made a commercial version of the same - they too were atrocious with about a 20 lb DA trigger pull.

Best .45 DA guns I've seen available today are the CZ or the Tanfoglio copy.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000