Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - double stack 1911 question
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 double stack 1911 question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - October 02 2016 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that Jim doesn't call double stack versions of the 1911 a "true" 1911 which is fine for my question. With my memory being piqued regarding originals, it brought a question I've had for a number of years. Back when Para ordinance came out with the P14 and P13 and the rest I had a near lusting for a P13. The Lieutenant who was over emergency services had one and while I never got to shoot it I felt really nice in my hands.
My question to all the people who have more knowledge than I is were they difficult to make dependable? Were there any other problems. I've not even seen any in the used market around here. I figure that this is a great place to ask a question like this as I will get honest answers.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland

miragetex

USA
100 Posts

Posted - October 02 2016 :  11:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a new steel frame P12 (they were also offered with aluminum frame) some time around 1994. The gun had some problems, but at that time Para had Cylinder and Slide doing its warranty work. They fixed my P12 and it hasn't missed a step since. If it was a lot lighter, it would be a perfect carry gun. One of the C&S techs told me the aluminum frame guns were prone to limp wristing but with a really tight hold they were just as reliable as the steel guns.
So - my one-out-of-one anecdotal experience is that my double-stack 1911 is reliable.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 05 2016 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have some double stacks, one of them is a P-13.

The reason I say it isn't a 1911 is the feeding system is completely different and I've seen mixed results.

I've never had much trouble making one run but I've sure worked on a lot that didn't start out running.

The first issue with a Para is the plastic magazine release - ditch it and buy a steel one!

The other issue is the ramped barrel - Browning knew about ramped barrels and it is not an improvement - they can be made to work however - it is better if the ramp is more angled that the ones in the Paras or other 1911 style pistols.

I'll say this, I have not shot my P-13 near as much as some other handguns but it has not been modified and so far it has not failed (I cannot say that for any of the 8 Glocks I've owned - though some work pretty good).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1116 Posts

Posted - October 27 2016 :  11:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My double stack .45 is a SIG P227 and it refuses to malfunction.

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - October 28 2016 :  01:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by montanaman

My double stack .45 is a SIG P227 and it refuses to malfunction.

My current double stack is a XD and while I shoot it well enough my memory of holding a para was that they felt closer to a Browning Hi Power. I've picked up SIG's 227 and it feels like well a Sig, which isn't bad but if memory serves me don't they have a 10 round magazine? I had a Taurus PT145 that carried that many and functioned just fine in a much smaller package.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 28 2016 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, when I did an article once on the size and weight of *loaded* guns (who carries one empty? And so why does empty weight matter at all?) for the dimensions I took a string and wraped it around the gun at several places and then totaled the length of the string.

I was sort of shocked that the full sized XD had almost exactly the same dimensions around the frame as the Browning P-35 (that does not mean it "feels" the same as the shape is not exactly the same).

Another oddity is that a Glock 17 is actually bigger than a 1911 when you measure around the frame and the slide and it weighs almost as much loaded (not quite but I cannot tell the difference on the belt - I do know that for me it is less comfortable and harder to hide by a tiny bit in an IWB holster).

I guess the most precise way to do it would be to place guns in a tank of water and measure how much water was displaced but that seemed messier than the string method.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

zeke

248 Posts

Posted - November 03 2016 :  06:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a P14 limited years ago, when they were Para's. Was one of those lusting after all those 45 acp rounds in one package. Had to put a bevel on the barrel hood, after that extremely reliable. Very accurate, but heavy and large grip. The rifling is kinda deep, and don't use lead in it. Some era versions of the mags had difficulty with the longer COL rounds.
Go to Top of Page

tsa45

USA
144 Posts

Posted - November 03 2016 :  2:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have a Sig 227 which I like a lot, but not as much as I love my 1911's. While my 227 has worked (so far) 100% with the 10 round magaxines, the 14 rounders turn the pistol into a jam-o-matic. . . YMMV
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1116 Posts

Posted - November 05 2016 :  10:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't invested in a 14 round mag yet - I haven't felt the need.

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.52seconds. Snitz Forums 2000