Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Glock 17 with 10 round mags
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 Glock 17 with 10 round mags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JWM

205 Posts

Posted - August 03 2016 :  5:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I'm retired and can finally carry a pistol of my choosing, I"m seriously looking at my Glock 17. I'm carrying under LEOSA. I will be traveling often between my home in South Carolina and New Hampshire. If I'm reading the LEOSA 2013 amendments correctly, it looks like hollow points issue and NJ issue is now solved. But, the magazine capacity issue now seems to be a problem. Lots of states that will be traveling through up there have this ten round limit. How do you handle it ? I really don't want to buy another gun. Are the 10 round mags for the Glock 17 as reliable as the normal capacity mags ?

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - August 03 2016 :  10:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JWM

Now that I'm retired and can finally carry a pistol of my choosing, I"m seriously looking at my Glock 17. I'm carrying under LEOSA. I will be traveling often between my home in South Carolina and New Hampshire. If I'm reading the LEOSA 2013 amendments correctly, it looks like hollow points issue and NJ issue is now solved. But, the magazine capacity issue now seems to be a problem. Lots of states that will be traveling through up there have this ten round limit. How do you handle it ? I really don't want to buy another gun. Are the 10 round mags for the Glock 17 as reliable as the normal capacity mags ?

I have had no trouble with the tens in my 17 or 19. They have been absolutely reliable.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - August 04 2016 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the 9mm 10 rounders give you issues, you could look at the Glock 37 which is their G17 sized 45 GAP standard mags for those are 10 rounds.

Though there are obvious logistics issues with that cartridge, performance wise it should be good to go.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - August 04 2016 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When traveling through those jurisdictions I have used Glocks Mag's in both the 19 and 32 in the 10 round configuration with no issues on the range. They work as designed.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
916 Posts

Posted - August 05 2016 :  09:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had any problems with 10 round mags.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - August 05 2016 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JWM

Hi JWM, does it state or imply you can't travel/carry through a state/municipality with a magazine limit? I might have "selected blindness" but I can't find it, regards, Mike

PS: I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box so I might have missed it,

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

billmc

510 Posts

Posted - August 05 2016 :  7:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:
Originally posted by JWM

Hi JWM, does it state or imply you can't travel/carry through a state/municipality with a magazine limit? I might have "selected blindness" but I can't find it, regards, Mike

I'm not a LEO, so consider the source. Two years ago, I was planning a trip to New England and needed to travel through New York. Based upon the advice I received from the folks on this site, I contacted the NY State Police, to find out how to transport my pistol. My FL permit is not honored by NY.

The response I received stated that I needed to lock the pistol away (I was planning on traveling by motorcycle) where it was not readily available. They did remind me that NY had just passed the SAFE Act, and as a result, any magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds were illegal. If I had any, I would be arrested.

I think they amended the SAFE Act, so that the 10 round limit did not apply to Police, but I don't know if that includes retired police.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - August 05 2016 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:
Originally posted by JWM

I'm not a LEO, so consider the source. Two years ago, I was planning a trip to New England and needed to travel through New York. Based upon the advice I received from the folks on this site, I contacted the NY State Police, to find out how to transport my pistol. My FL permit is not honored by NY.

The response I received stated that I needed to lock the pistol away (I was planning on traveling by motorcycle) where it was not readily available. They did remind me that NY had just passed the SAFE Act, and as a result, any magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds were illegal. If I had any, I would be arrested.

I think they amended the SAFE Act, so that the 10 round limit did not apply to Police, but I don't know if that includes retired police.

In the unlikely event I travel to New England, given the states I'd have to pass through, I'd pack a 1911, 45 Ball, and 7 round mags. Backed by a .380 with Ball or a .38 Spl with LSWC.

Do I understand correctly that you can't even drive an unopened box of JHP ammo through New Jersey?

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on August 06 2016 07:01:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - August 06 2016 :  07:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc

Nobody is exactly sure if it applies only to retired NY LE, or to others.

In addition, there are some other stupid restrictions that make it a pain for just about everybody, retired NY LE included.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - August 06 2016 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ExFed,
That's an excellent point. No one can define anything or assumes it applies. The LEOSA class I took advised us to follow the local laws regarding magazine capacities and Hollow Point projectiles as we would probable win the case but is it worth the expense. We just have to be aware is all.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Nobby42d

USA
597 Posts

Posted - August 06 2016 :  8:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nobby42d's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glock seems to have gotten it right. When Sig went to ten rounders way back, they used the same full sized mag springs in the much shorter tube. There was enough spring tension to force the mag follower up past the slide stop on a P226 and P228 instead of locking slide back. This would cause a divot in the plastic follower and damage it. Sig used the same spring for both and for P229 as well. If I remember, correctly, removing 1 1/2 coils solved the problem.

We've got 'em now boys! George A. Custer, June 25th,1876--Little Bighorn, Mont.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - August 08 2016 :  09:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know a lot abotu NY and probably will never go (though I do have a LEOSA card).

But I thought the SAFE act limited magazines to *7* rounds? Did they amend that also?

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - August 08 2016 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC the 7-rd limited was overturned by a lower court and the appeals court upheld the overturn. So 10-rd mags are OK.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

billmc

510 Posts

Posted - August 08 2016 :  11:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I seem to remember about the NY SAFE Act, was initially they limited the magazines to 7 rounds, as Jim said. (Afterall, there was an emergency to get this passed, just after the Newtown CT shooting, I think it was passed within 2 days of being propossed. Not a whole lot of research or review went into the writing of the law.) There was pushback because at first the Police were not exempt and they discovered that most manufacturers did not make 7 round mags. I think they changed the law so that Police became exempt and they upped the size of mags to 10 rounds with the caveat that only 7 rounds could be loaded into the magazine.

I had to travel through NY twice this year. What I carried with me was my Bersa Thunder 45 UC. Its magazines only hold 7 rounds. I stopped in PA, just before I crossed into NY and unloaded both the pistol and the magazines, then secured them. After leaving NY, I had to cross into and traverse CT. In CT, if the magazine is loaded, even if it is not inserted into the pistol or is stored away from the pistol, their law considers the pistol to be loaded. I don't know if the NY 7 round limit is still in effect or not.

My destination was RI for my father's funeral and I didn't need any other problems at that time.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - August 09 2016 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can gather, the 'SAFE Act' first banned all mags over 7 rds.

Then it was ruled that--- because finding mags that only held 7 rds was so hard--- you were allowed to carry 10-rd mags; but you could only carry 7 rds in them.

Then gun-rights groups took this ruling to court, and the lower Court ruled that the 7-rd limit was arbitrary and arguably didn't make society any safer; and they threw out the 7-rd limit; making it legal to carry 10-rd mags fully loaded.

The Appeals Court upheld this ruling in Oct 2015. So 10-rd mags fully loaded are legal. I believe that's where it stands today.

(The NY State gun-grabbers decided to not go on and appeal to the US Supreme Court, because they knew the USSC would uphold the Appeals Court ruling--- Antonin Scalia was still alive then.)

And those are the kind of "sensible gun-safety measures" we can expect if Hi-liar-y gets elected. Then we'll all be as 'safe' as NY!

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 09 2016 08:59:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

91B40
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - October 03 2016 :  01:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never had a malfunction in thousands of rounds using ten round magazines in any of my Glock 17's (Gens 2&3) or my Glock 34. This includes JHP and flat-nose ammunition. I would not hesitate to carry for self defense any Glock 17 with a factory ten round magazine.
Two of my sons have Glock 17's and their experience is identical with mine.
Of course, YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - October 15 2016 :  01:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aside from being more of a pain to load to full capacity, the 10 rounders work fine. No reliability issues. They are more of a pain to disassemble for cleaning, though.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000