Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Portable Emergency Lighting
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Portable Emergency Lighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop

USA
590 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  11:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just experienced the first for our family. We had a bad storm and the electricity was our for 4 hours, came back on just before bedtime, then went back off at midnight, for another hour.

Turned out a massive tree had fallen across the main lines and took them down crushing two poles. Heavy equipment was brought in to remove the mess and 2 new poles installed. My son-in-law works for the electric company and he explained the problem the next day.

I have flash lights, a kerosene lantern, and a Coleman gas lantern which I was not ready to use.

I found we needed some portable lighting sources. Do you have any suggestions? I am thinking along the lines of Coleman battery powered camping lanterns or such like. Suggestions would be appreciated. What I have is not sufficient for short term use for continuous lighting.

A generator system is not what I am looking for as maintenance is a big thing with them. Like I stated this is the first time this has ever happened to our family.

Pop Pop

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  11:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UST makes a '60-Day Duro Lantern' powered by 6 D-cells that's getting good reviews, along with a smaller 30-day version.

Rechargable batteries for whatever light(s) you choose, along with a recharging dock and a small solar recharging panel to keep them powered up, oughta keep you illuminated indefinitely.

The Outdoor Gear Lab website has a review of battery powered lanterns, click on 'camping and hiking' then 'best lantern review'. They also review solar charging panels elsewhere in 'camping and hiking'.

I also like LL Bean's solar powered flashlight.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on June 26 2016 12:00:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3905 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop, we use solar powered LED lanterns that also have a crank handle on them for charging. The grand kids love to vie for the "official lantern charger" position and they put put enough light to read by, IF, your lantern chargers have done their jobs. (A good turning will last about 20 minutes) or leave them in the sun for an hour or two and you've got a renewable light source. They are/were under $20 each and I believe I got them at Walmart or Sams Club.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  12:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pop Pop, I use and like the Streamlight Siege lanterns, D cell and the smaller AA cell. See the YouTube and shop around. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper sometimes Light Guys or some other internet company, is. I like them so much that I gave them as Christmas gifts. The big Siege is in the $35 range. I have had the batteries in them for over two years and they still are going strong. Waterproof, they float have a red light feature and an SOS function; what's not to like, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Siege and gave one to each of my brothers. Excellent lantern. I also have gas and propane Coleman lanterns. Wouldn't hurt to have a couple headlamps too
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2613 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  4:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also like NightStar shake flashlights, has no batteries, just a magnet & I believe a capacitor to store a little charge.

They aren't cheap and are useful only in a narrow niche, I got one when local Kmart or Target was clearing them out, but you don't have to worry about batteries or fuel with them.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

33982 Posts

Posted - June 26 2016 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a gas generator, a large solar panel, kerosene heater, Coleman lanterns and some flashlight we got at Amazon that have a solar panel built in and just lay them out in the daylight to recharge.

When he had our kitchen remodeled we had them put a plug for the generator on the side of the house. All I have to is throw our main power switch off and plug in the generator in and start it. It power everything except the microwave and clothes dryer. In the summer we have air and in the winter heat.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - June 27 2016 :  12:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coleman "Dual Fuel" lanterns. Uses Coleman Fuel OR unleaded gasoline. Handy to have.
Was thinking of using a propane bottle & hooking up the propane version lantern for standby in a possible long term where it is safe to run a lantern at night. Thinking a 100 pound bottle could run a lantern at night for a while.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1009 Posts

Posted - June 27 2016 :  07:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small (1800-2000 watt) portable generator is nice to have around. It will power your TV, a string of lights, and small appliances, including your refrigerator, but not everything at once. Obviously, keep it outside and bring power in with good extension cords. There are several good brands available. I suggest strongly that you use non-ethanol gasoline only and a good fuel stabilizer in that if you are going to leave it for lengthy periods without running it.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - June 27 2016 :  07:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several Coleman lanterns and am happy with them, both battery and rechargeable. As for generators I have a 2500 hundred watt unit that will run my sump pump and furnace and also make a cup of coffee, would like to have a bigger one but not in the budget.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
590 Posts

Posted - June 27 2016 :  08:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I am interested in several of them and will search them out further.

I am not interested in the portable generators. This outing was a first for us, over a 40 year period. I just don't want the maintenance of keeping one in running condition. My high pressure washer went south after 2 time usage even with Stabil perseverative and non ethanol gas in the tank.

I just need something to lite a room for a longer period of time(4 to 6 hrs). My LED flashlights don't do a very good job of that.

Again Thanks.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

745 Posts

Posted - June 29 2016 :  01:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also a big fan of the Streamlight Siege. I have a couple in the AA version and am going to order a couple more. By the time Christmas rolls around, I'll be getting six more...one for each of our kid's families.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - June 29 2016 :  07:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see there's also a rechargeable version of the Seige.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
590 Posts

Posted - June 29 2016 :  11:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Wall Mart looking for the Streamlight Siege, and they did not have it. Purchased a Coleman Classic Lantern which has 4 LED bulbs enclosed in a white light defuser in the center. It has two settings Low-70 hr runtime at 140 Lumens, and High-30 hr run time at 400 Lumens. Cost 19.95 w/out batteries. Will pick up a Siege when I find it. I need a couple. The Coleman is about 14" high and puts off a good glow. It has a lantern snap open and closed bail to hang it by. Takes 4 D batteries.

May need to try Wall Mart .com.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - June 29 2016 :  4:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the lanterns I'm aware of, the 'UST Duro 60-day' is in a class by itself as far as runtime: UST claims it will run 3 days continuously on high (508 lumens), 7 days continuously on medium (200 lumens), and 60 days continuously on low (18 lumens). Or 15 days in 'flashing SOS mode'.

I haven't verified those claims, but of 114 reviews on Amazon, 92% give it either 4-or 5-stars. Sounds like some Walmarts carry it. Around $56.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4862 Posts

Posted - June 29 2016 :  10:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some old kerosene lanterns up on the mantle for decoration, which work quite well and don't smell to bad with the scented oils. We've had to use them a couple of times; not near as bright as the modern LED's and probably(!) not as safe, either. I'll take a look at that Coleman lantern next time I'm at WalMart. I still have some gift cards from Christmas. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  3:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About a month ago I purchased a streamlight microstream this is a very small flashlight that takes one AAA battery. It has so far proved to be reliable and much to my amazement, useful. I had never carried a light before, at least as a EDC. I have found it to be very handy to have in my pocket. It is about the same length as my swiss army knife and smaller in diameter. The SAK is now my main knife as it seems that after some twenty years I have misplaced my Benchmade folder, much to my dismay.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2613 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've carried a flashlight everyday for many years now, find I use it far more often than the knife or any other EDC items except the smartphone.

My main flashlight is Surefure, B1B if not expecting to use it or 6P LED if expecting to use light much.

I also like Felix AA & AAA lights for smaller cheaper to feed lights.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3880 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olight's rechargeable 'Baton' series are nice: they recharge standing on a magnetic charging base: put it on the charger at night, take it with you in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
590 Posts

Posted - April 25 2017 :  08:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have plans to part with the change(money), and purchase a couple Surefire. Dov, the B1B and 6 P LED seems good to me also. I have looked at them, at our local gun store, that carries that brand and they are not cheap. I am not having much luck with the cheaper flashlights. They don't last. I like to EDC a pocket light about the size of a good 3 bladed "Stockman" pocket knife.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Advanced Member

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked up the UST Duro on Battery Junction and the price and run time numbers are very interesting. Adding a pack of alkalines and you would have a good gift/preparedness item. I'd probably leave the batteries wrapped up and not in the lantern if using for "emergencies," etc. as I have some fairly typical runs of battery leak problems when I don't use them for a while. With some long lasting alkalines for the first line and a set up for solar charging for fall back, something like that seems like a good idea. Good for camping, too.

I've had some fluorescent battery lanterns that held up OK and I do use kerosene for my re-enacting but these days battery and LED technology sure seems the way to go. A lot less messy, no need to keep an eye on tanks. Although a t-pole and light for a gas lantern will work well and feed off a tank for a portable stove, too. They'd need to be used outside, of course but one could survive off my barbecue skills. Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3698 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  6:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some great lanterns out there. Technology in that field is continuing to advance. The "COB" emitter that some lanterns are using are impressive.

These emitters are wider and longer than the normal LED emitters. They throw out a lot of light with just a little bit of power.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

TheQuietMan

USA
79 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  7:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in the hurricane zone of NC.

We have several of the $4 solar patio lights from the local big box home improvement store. We use flower vases or tall glasses to place them around the house as low lighting. Recharge outside during the day. Very cost efficient.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.28seconds. Snitz Forums 2000