Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - G42?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 G42?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - March 21 2016 :  6:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G42......Sure, I know it's the wrong caliber, and it's oversize for a .380, but anybody got one? Whadaya think? Tell me something good about it,
I've got plenty of bad stuff already.
rev.

Edited by - rev. on March 21 2016 6:25:01 PM

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - March 23 2016 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best .380 I've ever fired!

The trigger is the best I've seen on a gun in this caliber. It's much more manageable than the DA guns like the PPK and HsC and Sig P230. You could make an argument that the SA triggers on the Mustang or Sig P238 are better, but they come with the added impediment of a thumb safety. I know there are legions of 1911 fans who would pillory me for that, but I really see that as a downside on these small guns, because the safeties are very small and I find them much more difficult to reliably disengage than those of their larger cousins.

The sights are real sights. Large enough to offer a proper picture, even with more seasoned eyes!

I find the gun behaves very well in recoil and is quick to get back on target. You can actually hit with this gun out to distances normally reserved for larger pistols--25 yds is no problem. That has not been my experience with most other guns in this caliber, particularly the little "one finger" guns like the LCP and P3AT. Of couse, those are smaller in size, so choose your tradeoff.

If you like the Glock platform, this one won't offer any bad surprises for you, especially now that the design has been tweaked and the reliability issues that plagued earlier guns seem to have been resolved.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - March 23 2016 :  5:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike.......thanks a bunch!
rev.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 23 2016 :  5:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recoil is pretty mild isn't it, since it's not a blowback action?

I'm thinking it might be good choice for those with hand or wrist issues because of age & injury.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - March 24 2016 :  11:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, quite mild. My brother used this gun to introduce my niece to shooting centerfire pistols. It was a perfect gun to transition from the M&P22 Compact that she had been shooting.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - March 29 2016 :  3:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When physical issues dictate a.380, then I think "large for the caliber" becomes an asset. I.E. the gun becomes more shootable; especially important in a lighter caliber. It's still a small gun.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 29 2016 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Yes, quite mild. My brother used this gun to introduce my niece to shooting centerfire pistols. It was a perfect gun to transition from the M&P22 Compact that she had been shooting.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

We might get one for that eventually.

Though I'm looking hard at 22 WMR j frames & Ruger snubs if/when the pocket 38 & 9x19 get to be to much for me with old age or my joint issues.

Also want to try the Keltec PMR 30 pistol, figure 30 rounds of 22 WMR might be persuasive if I can't handle 9 at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - March 29 2016 :  4:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your magazines for function. There were problems with the early ones. Don't know if Glock has fixed that. They have enough other problems to fix that this one might have been shoved to the back.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - March 29 2016 :  5:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple hundred through each so far.....no issues through either.
Rev.
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
598 Posts

Posted - March 30 2016 :  11:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 2 of them. My wife has tiny hands. The only gun she really liked to shoot was her Walther P22. Until we got her the Glock. She can shoot as many rounds with the G42 as the 22 and it is her new carry gun. She shoots it better than any other centerfire handgun, period. It fits her. I am the opposite: she is 4'10" and I am 6'2" with ham hands. I liked hers so much she bought me one for my birthday as my backup / walking around the house in pajamas gun. Both have been totally reliable so far, I put a finger extension on my mags, she prefers hers witbout it. By far the best of the little 380's, and yes it is a little larger than the P3AT and the LC9 I own. Both of them languish now on the shelf and the 2 G42's are not only carried but shot a lot. Frankly I think it is the best 380 auto on the market, period. I have shared it with about a dozen people so far and everyone loves it. One of my co-workers has a 21 year old step daughter who is interested in handguns and wants one to carry: I took his whole family to the range for a handgun shooting lesson and everyone loved the G42. His daughter is a petite girl and she wants one for her birthday as her carry gun. In my opinion the G42 is one of best products Glock has ever made.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Advanced Member

USA
3284 Posts

Posted - April 20 2016 :  07:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My G42 has been 100% reliable, and far more accurate than I would have expected. I can keep almost any JHP from that gun, and the more accurate ball rounds, inside the top half of the A zone on an IPSC target all day long at the 25

Recoil is not much more than a pocket sized .22lr like the Beretta. Very pleasant to shoot.

I gave the gun to my father in-law, so I need to pick up another G42 and get to further testing.
Go to Top of Page

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - August 23 2016 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took my 42 out today just for a little fun. Shot 50 rounds without a single issue. I guess I've put about 250 rounds through it by now, all it wants to do is go "bang".
rev.
Go to Top of Page

carlojohn90

227 Posts

Posted - August 24 2016 :  10:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put 200 rounds through mine over the weekend, including 50 hydra shocks. No issues to speak of.
Go to Top of Page

Wistfulman
Average Member

USA
417 Posts

Posted - November 05 2016 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine has been 100% also and that is after I installed Mag-Guts in my magazines. 7+1 is nice, so is the ability to shoot +P ammo. Currently I have mine loaded with Precision One XTP +Ps, but as soon as I do some reliability testing I will be changing over to Underwood Xtreme Defender +P.

It's Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
78 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  3:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine has been 100% reliable with 300 rounds of gold dot.
Go to Top of Page

JMAC
Average Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - November 07 2016 :  4:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of our guys carry the G42 as a bug. They like them a lot.
Go to Top of Page

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - November 08 2016 :  2:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Yall, so the pistol is reliable. what ammo do you stuff it with for social purposes?
rev.
Go to Top of Page

mackpeirson
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - November 08 2016 :  5:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had and carried a G42 for nearly a year now, and have shot it a fair amount (approx 500 rounds mixed ball and JHP). My carry round is Lehigh Defense 90 grain Extreme Penetrator. Really interesting what the effect was on paper targets, sort of "blew out" a couple of inches of the center. I think it was the airflow equivalent of what the folks at Lehigh claim happens in gel or tissue due to the rotational speed of the bullet coupled with the machined flutes in its nose causing cavitation.

I have found the G42 to be just fine for pocket carry when my business casual wardrobe makes concealment a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
78 Posts

Posted - November 08 2016 :  6:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before going in for another back surgery in October i purchased a glock 42 i also purchased two sets of Mag-Guts 7 shot conversion(no change to floor plate) and XS big dot night sights.Ran 300 rounds of Gold Dot no issues at all hoping to be able to shoot more in a few more weeks.Its no 357sig but it has its place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000