Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Colt,Springfield or Ruger 1911
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Colt,Springfield or Ruger 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

106rr
Average Member

279 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I have two Springfields and one Colt. All are reliable but the Springfields are more accurate.
One is a 9mm Loaded and the other is a basic Springfield 45 ACP rebuilt by John Jardine .The Colt is a Gold Cup series 80 stainless. The Jardine rebuild is the most accurate.
Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

630 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  10:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been underwhelmed with Colt's QC for a while.....but nothing beats a real, untouched 70's era 1911. If you want something better tha nthat, its hard to beat the Ruger SR1911. That would be my pick though generally, I like my Springie's. Some still have some sharp edges but they're done up pretty good these days.

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
688 Posts

Posted - July 02 2016 :  10:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next handgun purchase, L/w, will be a Ruger SR 1911. Want a lever long gun real bad also.

Edited.
Just purchased a Remington 1911R1 at Christmas.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on July 02 2016 10:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 02 2016 :  11:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dubiousone

I have been underwhelmed with Colt's QC for a while.....but nothing beats a real, untouched 70's era 1911. If you want something better tha nthat, its hard to beat the Ruger SR1911. That would be my pick though generally, I like my Springie's. Some still have some sharp edges but they're done up pretty good these days.

I would agree completely. I'd only add that just about every company has put out some lemons and has had bad years - S&W Revolvers had a time when they were pretty "iffy".

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - July 03 2016 :  05:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd get a Rock Island, they are series 70, relatively inexpensive, all Colt parts are interchangeable. I have a few and they are well made. A lot of 1911's use Rock Island frames and parts, STI and others. You can have a lot of fun putting in after market parts, Wilson etc. and building a personal pistol. The Rock Islands are good pistols. I have Colts too, but you can buy two Rocks for the price of one Colt.....Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - July 03 2016 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FORT CHAFFEE,I WOULD LIKE TO THROW A CURVE IN HERE TO THE CHOICES... THE SPRIGFIELD LOADED IS FUN, THE RUGER SEEMS OK BUT HERE IS THE CURVE, REMINGTON HAS THE R1 AND KEEPS UPGRADING TO THE ENHANCED VERSIO , VERY NICE TIGHT AND ACCURATE.
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - July 04 2016 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the post. I have been able to shoot most of the 1911's on my short list. The last one I shot was a Rock Island 5in. with adj. sights and fiber optic front sight. I didn't have this on my list but a gunsmith that has done work for me for the past 30 years told me he likes Rock Island very much. Also Bill D's post of how much he likes them. The Rock Island was the best out of the box 1911 I shot. All the Rock Island needs is Wilson D47 mags. and ammo. Number two was the Ruger. I wish I had been able to shoot a LW Ruger but I was unable to find one I could shoot. This has been fun for me to shoot,read post and talk to gun people about what and why they like in current 1911's. This is just me. If you like something different that's ok, I hope you enjoy shooting your 1911.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000