Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 1911
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pochis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - January 16 2016 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the market for a 1911 45acp and it gets more confusing everyday. I thought about rem r1, sringfield milspec,. I want an accurate, dependable gun. I can not afford the big dollar guns like colt, DW ect, lets here what you guys think , all help apprediated. Bill

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - January 16 2016 :  6:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Remington R1 stainless, not the enhanced and like it.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - January 17 2016 :  07:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Rock Island....Mine have been all good. Reasonable price. They shoot as good as my Colt 1911's. Bill D

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - January 17 2016 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Springfield Range Officer, uses the same frame as the TRP.

John Harrison makes a nice fixed sight replacement for it, after that there's not much to improve on.

I don't know your budget, but they're selling for about $700 around here.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on January 17 2016 09:48:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - January 17 2016 :  11:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, all things being equal,price etc, what would you buy? I have 2 Springfield,Inc. 1911's but my Colt's are my favorites. There was a listing that showed forged vs MIM parts on the 1911 Forum. Colt was the winner hands down. I see no reason not to buy a Colt, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
813 Posts

Posted - January 17 2016 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The new baseline Colt's have an MSRP of around $800. Not much more than a Remington R1.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1116 Posts

Posted - January 19 2016 :  10:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second Bill D. - a good pistol on a budget is the Rock Island Armory. I bought one for my Son-in-law to have for a first pistol, and it's been good. The slide isn't forged, it's machined out of bar stock though.

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.

Edited by - montanaman on January 19 2016 10:27:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These "mim" parts are actually in a tremendous amount of pistols. Pochis is looking for an affordable 1911...I would not degrade a Rock Island 1911 on that basis. I say take a look at a Rock Island based on price and quality. A Colt 70 series pistol that have great support. Easy to work on, excellent factory support right here in Nevada. Lifetime warranty. I am not a Rock Island sales rep. I love my Colts and think that Ruger and Springfield 1911's are great, but for the money it is hard to beat the Rock 1911....Good to learn on and get the 1911 experience...Bill D

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colts are still viable and I'm seeing more on the shelves than used to be.

I like the Ruger SR-1911 - it has everything one would want and nothing that is superfluous (like forward serrations or FLGR, hooked trigger guards and such).

Around here a standard SR-1911 or Commander runs around $675.

CZ is making a bare bones 1911a1 copy but it has good sights - looks like a really nice gun - about $800

SA Armory Mil Spec is a decent gun around $650

Just some choices in the less expensive line (I paid as much for my last Glock), I don't make many recommendations.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  2:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to second the Ruger SR-1911 as a solid gun. They didn't screw up JB's original design. They just enhanced what needed "enhancing".

Even though I carried one for many years in the military, and fired more than 50,000 rounds out of them as a Navy Pistol Team member, I don't care for the 1911 and don't own one. But if, in a weak moment, I decided to acquire one, it would be the Ruger.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  3:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the Ruger a much better pistol than the comparable priced Remington 1911 R1?

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  3:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there were somewhere around 30 design changes to the 1911 to simplify machining before it went into production, and many improvements/changes over the years including the -A1.

you could venture a guess that with CNC,CAD,improvement in materials,etc., JB would totally resign the 1911 himself.

the one thing you can't get away from is that dang sliding single action trigger pull, that's hard to beat.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first Ruger was a disaster. They made it right and the Commander I use now is EXCELLENT. My series 80 Colt was perfect right out of the box.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - January 20 2016 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion and that is just what it is. I think the Ruger SR1911 is preferable to the Remington in my book, partly because the standard SR1911 comes in stainless. I own a Ruger and several of my friends own them as well and we are all very happy with them. I can't say anything bad about the Remington except I have heard that Remington has had some quality issues (not that they wouldn't stand behind them). The only problem I have heard of from my fellow SR1911 owners is one guy's had a grip that was drilled wrong and it allowed the grip screw to contact the magazine and affect ejection. They sent him a new grip and asked him to send the defective grip back.
Go to Top of Page

USA
163 Posts

Posted - January 21 2016 :  03:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pochis
in the market for a 1911 45acp and it gets more confusing everyday. I thought about rem r1, sringfield milspec,. I want an accurate, dependable gun. I can not afford the big dollar guns like colt, DW ect, lets here what you guys think , all help apprediated. Bill
Bill, I have exceeded my limited budget spending this past week-and-a-half stocking up on ammo in 9mm, .357 Mag. and .45 ACP, spending a little over $856.20. That's $186.25 more than what I paid for my new Ruger SR-1911 CMD version.

Like Jim H. referred to, it is all the gun I need and want, and lacks the fluff, making an excellent 1911 at a very affordable price. Some "mil spec" 1911's have the early designed sights that are very low profile and it might be important to have more service quality sights.

I suggest you add the Ruger SR-1911 to your .45 ACP shopping list. Also, if you haven't owned a 1911 format or used one much, and you are more familiar with DA/SA, DAO and modern striker-fired designs, make sure you put in plenty of time to learn the SA 1911 and get very comfortable with it.

I used to carry my Colt Combat Commander on and off duty and really enjoyed it, but my new acquisition last week from Ruger is a superior firearm in many ways ... and it still feels very comfortable and reassuring to have around.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - January 21 2016 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Is the Ruger a much better pistol than the comparable priced Remington 1911 R1?

I think so. But I don't like messing with JMB's design much and the Remington (while it seems well made) has a firing pin safety.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on January 21 2016 11:08:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

250 Posts

Posted - January 21 2016 :  8:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been very pleased with a Ruger light weight commander, only disliking the extended safety. Yes they scrimped a little on the barrel, but is nice having the edges beveled, and real nice having the insert in the feed ramp. Like the thin grips, but is a personal preference.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.59seconds. Snitz Forums 2000