Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger SR1911 Commander
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Ruger SR1911 Commander
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just picked up an as-new SR1911 Ruger in Commander length. What a nice pistol for the money (unless you are left-handed}. The trigger right from the box is incredible. If you haven't fingered one up, you should. I'll take it to the club and shoot it Wednesday with my 230-grain RN cast load. Hopefully it will feed and function with this load and have good accuracy.

USA
163 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  4:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Michigan
Just picked up an as-new SR1911 Ruger in Commander length. What a nice pistol for the money (unless you are left-handed}. The trigger right from the box is incredible. If you haven't fingered one up, you should. I'll take it to the club and shoot it Wednesday with my 230-grain RN cast load. Hopefully it will feed and function with this load and have good accuracy.
Steve, Congratulations on a great choice! I had to make a tough decision with my meager shopping cash between an 'as-new' Ruger SR1911 CMD that had a high-viz front sight installed and two extra magazines .. or .. the S&W Model 66" 3" round but that also has the green high-viz front site.

I just couldn't pass up the Mod. 66 3", and missed out on the 1911 CMD, but they are current production and I'll nab one soon. I had a full-size Ruger shortly after they were released. Great guns, excellent triggers, well made ... but the wrong length (my biased opinion since I favor a Commander-size).

Nice choice and I hope your reloads work well.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - June 20 2015 :  9:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you referring to the Light Weight? Two tone?

I've seen a couple now - good guns (I'm mildly annoyed that they got the color scheme backwards but it is OK - I know why).

So are the all stainless versions of the Combat Commander.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - June 21 2015 :  12:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim -

Mine is the all stainless steel version. Very nicely done and I also prefer all stainless rather than the two-tone.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - June 22 2015 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim -

Mine is the all stainless steel version. Very nicely done and I also prefer all stainless rather than the two-tone.

I see. I have seen several of those in classes - they seem to work great.

Ruger hit a home run here on all their 1911s - no extra junk you don't need and yet it has all one needs with the possible exception of left handed shooters may need an Ambi safety.

Personally I think their safety is the best in the business and I can work it fine with my left hand but it might be just a tad slower for a real left handed person.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - June 22 2015 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now what they need to do is come out with a commander length in 9mm.
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

250 Posts

Posted - June 23 2015 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got the lightweight version, am pleased with the purchase. Someone apparently figured out if you relieve the edges on the slide, the frame wear is decreased. Excellent trigger, accuracy, sights, feed ramp insert. Bout the only thing considering changing is the extended safety. Just don't like em on a cc pistol.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - June 25 2015 :  6:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now what they need to do is come out with a commander length in 9mm.

Why? Rats?

I'd say they probably will, too big a market to overlook. If they do a Super .38 cannot be far behind.

I think they are missing the boad if they don't either resurect the 9X23 Winchester or come up with their own - say a "9X24 Ruger"

It is no stress on a 1911 at all to push a 125 at 1650 or a 147 at 1400 (with the right powders).

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - June 26 2015 :  6:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see the good acceptance of the Ruger commander type series of pistols. I have been looking a lot for another one. Want to find one as a range rental to shoot first, before I take the plunge. I prefer the nitride finish (Night Watchman) coloring as personal preference.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
813 Posts

Posted - July 28 2015 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a Ruger LW Commander. It is a keeper! I think it is actually lighter than my 40 Shield.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 29 2015 :  10:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nanuk

I just picked up a Ruger LW Commander. It is a keeper! I think it is actually lighter than my 40 Shield.

Ruger deserves kudos for that gun - they kept the John Browning designed feed-way, which is considerably less finicky than a one piece ramp at the angle needed in a 1911 (that doesn't mean it doesn't work in other guns originally designed to be one piece) and they made the ramp in the frame of titanium which will not get beat up like aluminum.

Nice touch!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
153 Posts

Posted - July 29 2015 :  1:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Higginbotham -

I did find a 9mm rat shooter. I picked up a Rock Island 9mm commander length MSP. Fantastic pistol with a great trigger, Novak-style sights, VERY accurate and seems to feed anything. Too bad they only park them. I think if would look nice in blue. It came with three magazines and has a full length guide rod (I'd rather have the old original style). A fantastic shooter for the price.

Edited by - Steve in Michigan on July 30 2015 10:40:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - July 30 2015 :  7:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I think they are missing the boad if they don't either resurect the 9X23 Winchester or come up with their own - say a "9X24 Ruger"

Jim

I would buy that and more than just one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - August 01 2015 :  2:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting a 124 9mm up to 1600 fps in the 9x23 or ' 9mm whatever' would be awesome!
Now, go find ammo for it. That's the problem.... ammo.

But, if the gun actually headspaces via the extractor (as most semi-autos actually do) you might be able to shoot 9x19 out of it in a pinch.

I've shot .380 (9x17) out of a 9mm pistol. Lotsa FTEs. Shot .40 S&W from 10mms... worked pretty well.

Ammo would be the issue. Try to find 9x23 today. Great Idea, no ammo.
Same for 9x21.

Ruger is pretty sharp on 'new stuff'...but I doubt if there would be a large enough market for an ammo maker to devote resources to a new case, new powder formula, etc.

They can make the gun... and then you have another .327 Federal fiasco.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - August 04 2015 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Getting a 124 9mm up to 1600 fps in the 9x23 or ' 9mm whatever' would be awesome!
Now, go find ammo for it. That's the problem.... ammo.

But, if the gun actually headspaces via the extractor (as most semi-autos actually do) you might be able to shoot 9x19 out of it in a pinch.

I've shot .380 (9x17) out of a 9mm pistol. Lotsa FTEs. Shot .40 S&W from 10mms... worked pretty well.

Ammo would be the issue. Try to find 9x23 today. Great Idea, no ammo.
Same for 9x21.

Ruger is pretty sharp on 'new stuff'...but I doubt if there would be a large enough market for an ammo maker to devote resources to a new case, new powder formula, etc.

They can make the gun... and then you have another .327 Federal fiasco.

Oddly enough Walmart actually has Winchester 9X23 in their system - I ordered a case some years ago - not sure you can still do that though? But if you get in good with your Wal-mart sporting goods manager he might be able to find some surprising stuff.

I've never seen it on the shelf in a Wal-mart however.

White box 125gr Winchester gets only 1470 from my Bar-sto barrel but my partner's Colt 9X23 pushes it at 1550.

It is a soft point but there is also a Silver tip load, which for some reason is slightly milder.

What is handy about 9X23 is that you can run a reamer into a Super .38 barrel that head spaces on the case mouth and shoot both cartridges. I haven't gone the other way - ream a 9X23 barrel with a Super .38 reamer but I don't see why it would not work as the Super reamer has the little rim cutter.

Set up for 9X23, Super runs fine, if I was going the other way, I would add a stiffer recoil spring

You can also shoot 9X19 in it in a pinch (the extractor holds the round) but I prefer to just have a spare 9mm barrel for that. 9mm in a 9X23 chamber, like .40 S&W in a 10mm chamber, is pretty inaccurate - or it has been for me.

That might not work in a striker fired gun? I haven't tried .40 S&W in my Glock 20 but the ignition on these guns is very "iffy" even if you run into cases with too much crimp - the 1911 firing pin extends about an inch into the chamber so firing a round that slips off the extractor or is loose is not a problem.

In any case I don't recommend doing it and the only reason I tried it is to know in case of dire emergency.

Jim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000