Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - CMP
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 CMP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - August 15 2013 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is going to takemy rifle back on their dime and see if the barrel is bent.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Captain O
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - August 30 2016 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Captain O an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Is going to take my rifle back on their dime and see if the barrel is bent.

Have they taken care of the rifle, Evan? I know this may border on historic sacrilege. If they can't, (or don't) replace the barrel with an original from the same manufacturer, perhaps a replacement from Green Mountain Barrels would be appropriate?

What has happened?

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - August 30 2016 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's fine. Winchester barrel and receiver. made in fall of 1944. the barrel was bent

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - August 30 2016 :  4:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm a big advocate of the CMP. That being said I've noticed a decline in quality. I was sent a Field Grade that had a broken elevation assembly. The rifle also had an out of time action that needed a new bullet guide. The stock had a six to eight inch piece taken out of the rear stock were the cheek would rest. The timing was not noticeable without a gauge. The other defects were very noticeable. They also rendered the rifle unshootable. The CMP fixed it and gave me a nice GI stock. The thing is; what about the poor guy that doesn't have a timing gauge? Noticeable defects should be fixed before shipping. I think Evan's rifle was picked out at the North Store so this was not the case. I'm glad the CMP has great customer service, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - August 31 2016 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the old timers at Anniston that really knew Garands are disappearing as fast as the rifles themselves.

the rack and field grades where always a crap shoot, and I doubt a timing gage is even used on one.

having said that rifles that will pass a timing gage check still might not work, that's why they were test fired before they were issued during the War. Still true today, if your rifle works with the clips and ammo you got you don't need a gage anyways.

just as a side but 10 years ago I was at a show in Birmingham. I ran into a guy that had a half dozen Service grade DCM rifles and talked him out of one with a NM op rod for $500.

big difference between that rifle and the "stuff" that's came out of there in recent years.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - August 31 2016 :  1:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi GW, I always have had luck with service grades; not so much with Field grades. They only check the muzzle and throat and test fire them, no timing gauge. I guess the guy never noticed the broken elevation spindle or the slinters on the stock. The bolt would not close on a clip. I doubt it was ever shot. That being said after it was fixed it shot awesome as most Garands do, regards, mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000