Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Show me
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Show me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to see a display of my older daughters work at her college yesterday and while there got talking with a few of her friends. One of the young ladies told me she and some of her friends go into the big bad city occasionally and she carries her pepper-spray. This particular young lady then advised me that her R.A.(resident assistant, a student counselor who helps and advises other students generally on personal matters, R.A's are under the supervision of and answer to the school R.D. resident director who, at my daughters school answers to the Dean of Student Services) advised her that pepper-spray is not permitted on campus and will be confiscated if she's caught with it. I advised her that I'd read the student handbook, which covers firearms specifically but is ambiguous on other forms of self defense, and spoken with Campus Police who advised me pepper-spray is permitted. I told my daughters friend I'd challenge the R.A. to show me in the handbook where pepper-spray is specifically prohibited and she should consult with her parents, that I'd already discussed the issue with campus police. The young lady smiled, said they have to see her with it first. I hope she and my daughter remain life-long friends

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  10:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd consider a small cannister of OC and a compact folding knife, discretely carried, to be essential items around campus. Or anywere else, for that matter. Consider the consequenses of being accidentally discovered with those items vs being caught by an assailant without them.

As for the RA, I'd drop the subject entirely. To continue the discussion only generates suspicions that could travel up the lines of campus authority.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a child going to college and they could not carry at least items such as OC, a small kinife or other non deadly option, I'd tell them to call the campus cops everytime I was about to step out of the dorm or classroom. May stir some trouble, but make them work a little if they do not allow something.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  9:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our youngest daughter graduated from a private western university, where he campus policy issued/gave away OC spray to any student (free) who took their self-defense class.(also free)
The campus police of that university is also cross sworn with the local PD and vice-versa to avoid any jurisdictional problems, it works well.
The sister campus down in Provo, Utah doesn't have a clue, and refuses to allow OC spray on campus, which may be one contributing taco's as to why their rape stats are rather high, and why that university refuses to release their on campus crime stats.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  10:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No college is crime free just because it is suppose to be a place of "higher learning" and the grass is neatly mowed. Intellectual stupidity seems to be part of some campus folks airhead agenda. I see no problem with a rational young lady wanting to carry OC discretely for the sole purpose of her personal protection. Security can't protect everyone all the time and crimes can and have happened on college campus settings.

Edited by - Pitbull on May 06 2013 11:37:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  05:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I worked at this particular college, the R.D. herself once suggested that I'd be surprised to know what happens on campus. I told her to surprise me. She stood there stuttering for a moment before excusing herself to attend to 'important matters'. The biggest reasons I didn't argue with my daughters decision to go there was they have an excellent graphic design program, it's close to her home and in spite of my shortcomings my daughter is very smart. Today's her last day of class, she graduates on Saturday

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)
Go to Top of Page

smoky14

240 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  07:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A young LEO in a mountain town was giving a citizen flack about the OC on their key chain, and said nothing about the bear spray I was carrying on my hiking pack.
Then again plain sight is sometimes over looked.
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

667 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week I checked my wife's Fox Labs spray that she carries when she runs in the morning. It was a few years old and totally dead, depleted propellant.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  2:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben, that happens more than people like to think. I've seen it happen at work and it's not pretty.
Your post is a good reminder to check them every once in a while...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000