Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Browning High Power
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Browning High Power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have acouple of questions for you fells,........ probable asked before but,....... My HP is early 70's vintage. Got it second hand from an SO Deputy who had a " reliability package " done to it by an unknown to me gunsmith. That weapon will eat virtually anything,... even 147's without a hiccup. What he did not do is remove the magazine disconnect. What are your feelings on the disconnect one way or another? For me it has not been an issue but I'm curious.
Second,..... I am pretty much a Glock carrier mst of the time. I do shoot the HP and on occasion carry same and I make a point to practice the draw and push off the safety so as it is a muscle memory type of thing. Have any of you experienced any issues in this regard or do you make a point to practice that way as I do? It's a great weapon and when I came on my old JOB it was the approved weapon for the departments stake out unit and they swore by them. Heck, I swear by mine too as I am sure you all do as well. Thanks in advance.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  4:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me the disconnect had to go. But, if you don't have a problem with it great. As for the carry of a Glock and a HP i can't do it. I carry my Glock 19 and a 642 Smith 95% and the 642 5% without the Glock.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opted to NOT disconnect the mag safety and have had NO issues whatsoever. I also find that a Glock 19 or my Frankenglock 26 is on me most of the time.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1310 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badge

I have acouple of questions for you fells,........ probable asked before but,....... My HP is early 70's vintage. Got it second hand from an SO Deputy who had a " reliability package " done to it by an unknown to me gunsmith. That weapon will eat virtually anything,... even 147's without a hiccup. What he did not do is remove the magazine disconnect. What are your feelings on the disconnect one way or another? For me it has not been an issue but I'm curious.
Second,..... I am pretty much a Glock carrier mst of the time. I do shoot the HP and on occasion carry same and I make a point to practice the draw and push off the safety so as it is a muscle memory type of thing. Have any of you experienced any issues in this regard or do you make a point to practice that way as I do? It's a great weapon and when I came on my old JOB it was the approved weapon for the departments stake out unit and they swore by them. Heck, I swear by mine too as I am sure you all do as well. Thanks in advance.

I had mine done by Don Williams in AZ. He put a reliability package,extended safety, no bite hammer, and a C&S combat trigger. The placement of the trigger took out the magazine safety. As Malcolm can attest, it shoots well . Mine has the "beer can" adjustable rear sight and the high front sight to match. It was made in 1975. IF I could I would have TFO fiber-optic/tritium sights added as I have them on my XD and I love them they stay bright in the sunlight and during the twilight stay bright as well. Tru glow just doesn't make a version that would fit from what they have told me. I painted the front sight with International orange model paint and it works in the daylight, not so at night.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  9:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen camp has a site called hi power and hand guns that covers the mag safety removal best. Hope that listing is ok. I started out with 1911 autos so my thumb automatically wipes of the safety. Even on the glock. I really have more proublems with autos that don't have a manual safety.
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  10:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stephen was an active member here for a long time until his death in May of 2011. His passing left a great void in the collective knowledge about Hi Powers. He is missed.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - August 01 2013 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to mojo's post.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - August 01 2013 :  4:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I allowed bandaid to touch my BHP, can't remember, if I did slight him, apologies. I agree wholeheartedly on a wish for TFOs' on my BHP as well. That would be about "it" for any custom touches. When I first got it, my eyes and the Trijicons were sympatico, NOT anymore. Have to wear my glasses to be bullseye competition accurate, but it's still "good enough" for its intended purpose.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - August 01 2013 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the posts fellas,....... I suppose my nagging fear is that under stress I will somehow neglect the safety on the HP. I do train with it but I think alittle more may be in order as I do love the weapon as it is such a natural pointer and easy to carry, at least for me.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Wistfulman
Average Member

USA
417 Posts

Posted - August 17 2013 :  2:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mojo

Stephen was an active member here for a long time until his death in May of 2011. His passing left a great void in the collective knowledge about Hi Powers. He is missed.

The site is still up. I contacted Mrs. Camp and she intends to run it as long as she is alive. All the literature Stephen wrote is still available and I bought one of everything, not only to help keep the site running, but in thanks for everything Stephen taught me.

It's Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - August 21 2013 :  8:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wistfulman

quote:
Originally posted by mojo

The site is still up. I contacted Mrs. Camp and she intends to run it as long as she is alive. All the literature Stephen wrote is still available and I bought one of everything, not only to help keep the site running, but in thanks for everything Stephen taught me.

I'm glad to hear that. Steve was one to ride the river with and was very thorough in his work!

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2639 Posts

Posted - August 22 2013 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removing safety can be used against you in the court room, for people that don't know much about guns (jury) it opens door for prosecutor to claim you were reckless or indifferent to others safety.

So for carry gun you need to decide if benefit is greater than the risk for you, and have a plan for defending what you did to a non gun jury IMHO if you decide to have it removed.

To me this is similar to why Keith Jones switched his duty gun from 44 based on prosecutor's comments about likely perception from people that learned about guns and violence from TV & movies.

YMMV

Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - September 05 2013 :  12:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What ammo. do most people carry in the H.P.? I may carry my HP when it gets colder I'm working much more with it now. Thanks........
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - September 05 2013 :  3:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry Federal +P+ 115 grain JHPs in mine, or, Corbon 115 JHPs. No issues, no worries.

Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - September 05 2013 :  7:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gold dot 124 +p.
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyO
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - September 07 2013 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
124gr +p GD or Win Ranger 127gr+p+.
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - October 14 2013 :  6:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my beater hi power is at birdsong for their black t treatment. just bought an alloy hi power off gunbroker. it will need novak sights and black t. I guess a 40 hi power should be next. then a 357 sig barrel. I think i'm on a slippery slope.
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - October 15 2013 :  07:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serialsolver

I think i'm on a slippery slope.

There are much worse places to slip..................

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - October 15 2013 :  10:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Serial,
had the .40 cal Model years ago. I don't consider myself overly recoil sensitive but I found the .40 BHP had a tad too much muzzle flip for my liking. Great weapon otherwise. Just prefer the 9mm version.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - October 16 2013 :  01:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm not sure I would be comfortable shooting much +P+ in a High Power. Those guns are a little svelte for that really high pressure stuff. They could probably handle a limited diet of it, but I wouldn't want to push it and break something. I think I would want to stick with something closer to standard, or maybe +P pressure for the majority of my shooting.

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - October 16 2013 :  08:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a well known HP gunsmith saying the frames were like peanut butter. I'd be leery of the .357 Sig for long term.
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - October 16 2013 :  11:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 40 hi power is built on the harder frame. The 357 would be on the same frame. Only money stands in the way to finding out. I'm not sure i'll go down that path. I do want a metal 40 and the 40 hp fits the want. I am a little concerned about the aluminum frame on the hp. I think to start I'll use shock buffs or maybe get a sprinco system for it.
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - October 17 2013 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Stephen Camp used to say +P+ was OK in a HP if you up the recoil spring weight and use a shok-buff. I believe that was in the context of the garden variety steel-framed model, as the alloy ones used to be sort of a rare beastie. I had mine set up that way and it fed 9BPLE (115gr +P+) just fine. Of course, that was only 100-200 rounds to verify functionality, and the rest of the time I shot (standard pressure) ball in it. Later when I decided to switch my standard 9mm defense load to GD 124gr +P, I found that my HP wouldn't get through 100 rounds of it without an issue. I played around with ditching the shok-buff and/or going back to the factory recoil spring and/or going back to factory mags (instead of the MecGar 15 rounders that also worked fine with 9BPLE), but never did get it sorted out and kinda gave up for the time being.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - October 17 2013 :  5:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Mec-Gars exclusively (15 rounders), and the 18.5 Wolff recoil spring. Have had no issues at all, yet. I carry +P+ in it, but practice with standard pressure and +P rounds, still no issues.

Go to Top of Page

JohnnyO
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - October 19 2013 :  1:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my HP built by Kurt Wickmann I had told him I'd be carrying Corbon 115gr +p jhp. He set my gun up with .40 recoil spring,to take some of the hammering off. It works fine with 115gr fmj range type ammo, too. No malfunctions at all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.3seconds. Snitz Forums 2000