Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Browning High Power
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Browning High Power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a punch followed by a lob across the room into the trash can.

I meant no fancy additions. My bad.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1270 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  4:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had modified mine .Accurized with fitted barrel bushing [Yes the BHP had a barrel bushing !! "permanent" screwed in] .Mag safety removed,with the trigger mechanism polished .S&W J frame sights installed.Made new grips.
I was short on funds and traded it off ,what a sad day .
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My BHP should be ready this Saturday. We may still have rain Saturday so it may be next week before i get to go shooting.
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  10:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carried in a Summer Special holster. Doesn't get any better.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  03:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RandyB45

Carried in a Summer Special holster. Doesn't get any better.

10+

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Wistfulman
Average Member

USA
417 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own three: a MK III, a Practical and a Capitan with the deep blue finish and tangent sight.

It's Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  08:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my BHP from my gunsmith and the trigger is great. It was so good my gunsmith wants the BHP for himself. I was unable to shoot it but i will soon.
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - July 23 2013 :  9:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my bhp is at novaks now getting sights that I can see. it will be my urban gun.
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - July 27 2013 :  6:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got my bhp from novak. sights are great poa and poi right on. got to get a couple 15rd mec gars and some more gold dot +p's and some buffalo bore +p+.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  06:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serialsolver

got my bhp from novak. sights are great poa and poi right on. got to get a couple 15rd mec gars and some more gold dot +p's and some buffalo bore +p+.

Nice! I have a soft spot in my heart for the Browning P-35.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The high power is good for the ego also. Since I have been on the ranchers diet and exercise program this summer commonly referred to as bailin hay and coupled with the fact that the high power is thinner than a glock, today I had to tighten up my belt a notch.
Go to Top of Page

Gerald
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  2:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Browning MKIII that had been a truck gun for somebody, the finish was rough but it was tight. I traded a Sig P-6 at my favorite gun shop before it went out of business a few years ago. I had a local gunsmith put Hi Viz fiber optic sights on it, a C&S wide combat trigger, and re finish it in a matte blue. It sports g-10 flat grips and I grabbed up a supply of Mec Gar 15 round mags before the current madness. I have an old Don Hume high rise open top I carry it in.
It is my favorite 9mm handgun followed by my Cz 75 SA (Single Action).

Edited by - Gerald on July 28 2013 2:50:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
511 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  5:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trigger quality is really the only reason to use a single-action handgun. So if the magazine safety hurts the High Power trigger pull, they why do all Hi-Power manufacturers insist on including it?

Or are they of being sued for an accident stemming from some negligent user's "reasonable expectation" that all _Hi-Powers_ have this feature -- even though most _other_ handguns don't?

(Similarly, I ask why every 1911 builder feels compelled to include a grip safety. Most guns don't have one -- not even most single-action handguns. It doesn't even provide drop-safety.)
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1220 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  6:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fsilber

Trigger quality is really the only reason to use a single-action handgun. So if the magazine safety hurts the High Power trigger pull, they why do all Hi-Power manufacturers insist on including it?

AFAIR, it was in the original French specs. I believe the Nazis removed it during the occupation when they controlled the factory.

It's not a major problem as it's easy to remove, but because of the action design, you're never going to get as light a trigger as on a 1911 (and for a handgun designed for SD you probably don't want one.

Burgs is more up on the HP than am I.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  9:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
serial, what kind of sights did you have Novak put on yours? Thanks.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  11:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, I had Novak install a tritium front sight and a fixed white dot rear sight.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  11:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
851 Posts

Posted - July 28 2013 :  11:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the original BHP had the magazine safety for two reasons: 1. Prevent magazine free fall-remember the experiences of WWI and trench warefare, if you dropped something, it was gone forever. Armies typically issue only 2 or 3 magazines per handgun maintaining control is a good thing. 2. Safety, not everyone is an expert and in the time between wars, money for training was scarce.

I've got a MkII, I had the safety out, then decided to reinstall it. A wee bit of spring trimming and careful reshaping (only ruined one safety) of the shoe that contacts the magazine minimized the effect on the trigger. With many magazines, they'll drop free. Those that don't drop free take only a minor shake to drop.

The 1911 didn't get its reputation as a combat gun with a 4 lb trigger.
Go to Top of Page

Glenn
Advanced Member

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - July 29 2013 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love mine it is well used but still functions flawlessly and eats pretty much any kind of ammo I feed it which is more than I can say for some of my other handguns

Semper Paratus
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - July 30 2013 :  12:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a MKIII and the magazine disconnect I left in on purpose. Saw and still see NO reason to have it disconnected(removed). The magazines drop free(Mec-Gars do) especially when the face of the mag is LIGHTLY polished where the shoe(?) presses against the mag.
Had a professional trigger job done, added some Cylinder and Slide aprts and she is good to go. Trigger has a slight amount of creep (better than any Glock) like my 1911s, so I'm used to it. I've zero problems with this pistol.(except the sights need to be a LOT bigger now must be an age thing)

Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

I believe the original BHP had the magazine safety for two reasons: 1. Prevent magazine free fall-remember the experiences of WWI and trench warefare, if you dropped something, it was gone forever. Armies typically issue only 2 or 3 magazines per handgun maintaining control is a good thing. 2. Safety, not everyone is an expert and in the time between wars, money for training was scarce.

That makes sense. The modern method of running a handgun hadn't been invented yet in 1935.

I believe the M1911 grip safety is there because the Army asked for it. The Colt 1905 model was an earlier iteration of the development cycle leading to the M1911, and it didn't have a grip safety. According to one source I've seen, the cavalry played a leading role in the development and they wanted a pistol that was safe to drop and have bouncing around hanging by the lanyard off a mounted trooper on a moving horse.
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

That makes sense. The modern method of running a handgun hadn't been invented yet in 1935.

I believe the M1911 grip safety is there because the Army asked for it. The Colt 1905 model was an earlier iteration of the development cycle leading to the M1911, and it didn't have a grip safety. According to one source I've seen, the cavalry played a leading role in the development and they wanted a pistol that was safe to drop and have bouncing around hanging by the lanyard off a mounted trooper on a moving horse.

The old methods killed more people than smallpox. Ask Lou Chiodo at CHP. He wrote a book on it recently but I can't remember the title for the life of me.

And you're correct about the grip safety. We tend to forget that losing control of stuff in combat is a very real problem.
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  12:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy,

Is this the book?

“Winning a High-Speed, Close-Distance Gunfight"

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive me Brethren for I have sinned. I had a Novak HRT Hi Power and a good friend wanted it for his wife to carry so now it belongs to Mrs Peter Pi.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - July 31 2013 :  2:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RLS

Randy,

Is this the book?

“Winning a High-Speed, Close-Distance Gunfight"

Rick

That's the one. IIRC, CHP hit rates went up astronomically.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.74seconds. Snitz Forums 2000