Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Browning High Power
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Browning High Power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  12:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at a Mk3 in a pawn shop last week and i had forgotten how good they feel in my hand. Do we have anyone on the forum that still carryies one? How do you like it? Thanks.

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  2:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But did you buy it?
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1648 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do friend,..... mines a 1977 vintage and while I do have newer/lighter weapons, none of them puts that old HP to shame. It has never jammed, literally with any ammo or grain of the projectile and although it is not the most accurate handgun I own it is plenty combat accurate. You will not be dissapointed sir.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
serialsolver, not yet. I can buy 2 Glocks for about the same price. I can trade with the shop that has the gun. I have some stuff i don't shoot very much so i can get the gun for much less than the listed price. I also have a "bunch" of mags.
Go to Top of Page

David Armstrong

USA
778 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  2:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have one, but I've got a couple of friends that still carry them, and I wouldn't question their choice.

"You should plan for your training to reflect reality instead of hoping reality will reflect your training."
http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  3:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many Years ago my old friend Massad Ayoob Wrote an article on the best hand gun to own in a world wide situation. BHP was the gun. Today his choice might be different. From the little I remember the reason were many, but the top ones were ammo availability, and parts available, due to the huge number of these guns world wide.

I have just one, but it is very accurate--or was when I was somewhat younger and prettier. Shot a 5" 100 yard group on a quiet afternoon at our range. Position was braced sitting. I would not hesitate to carry a BHP today.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still carry mine. It is superbly accurate and is a MkIII. Had the hammer replaced for comfort, longer slide release and added an ambi safety.
I never worry about it's reliability. See additional comments above about feeding, etc.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

serialsolver

667 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  7:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I traded plastic for steel to get my hi power. My mk3 just needs Novak sights and a different thumb safety.
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serialsolver

I traded plastic for steel to get my hi power. My mk3 just needs Novak sights and a different thumb safety.

I literally STOLE my HP from a vendor on GB for $510.

2001 vintage 40 with the SFS system, tritium sights, and a C&S trigger.

Rides beautifully IWB when I ride my bike, and the epoxy finish resists being soaked with sweat.

Only thing i did was replace the TruGlo sights that were dim with some nice Novaks.

It would feed a ham sandwich (if I wanted to sacrifice a ham sandwich).

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2639 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own one, but came very close several times to buying Mk III, as long as specific gun you want to use will reliably feed a decent load I think they still make a very good choice.

I like the way they fit my hand a lot better than 1911's, and if I had to open carry I would prefer HiPower, 1911, or other platform with manual safety to my glocks. YMMV

Edited by - Dov on April 23 2013 8:19:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - April 23 2013 :  11:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm back to carrying one. I'll never be without another one.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1310 Posts

Posted - April 24 2013 :  01:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exfed2002

quote:
Originally posted by serialsolver

Only thing i did was replace the TruGlo sights that were dim with some nice Novaks.

Exfed, what size was the dovetail on your HP? I love truglo and would put them on my 1975 adjustable sight gun but not sure they would fit as the back dovetail is pretty big compared with the Mk III. My old eyes need all the help I can get and the fiberoptic tritium combined just seem to work better than straight tritium that I have used.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1137 Posts

Posted - April 24 2013 :  02:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 Hi-Powers, an FN, a FEG, a Kareen...They are all superb pistols/9mm. Bill D

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - April 24 2013 :  06:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandaidman

Exfed, what size was the dovetail on your HP? I love truglo and would put them on my 1975 adjustable sight gun but not sure they would fit as the back dovetail is pretty big compared with the Mk III. My old eyes need all the help I can get and the fiberoptic tritium combined just seem to work better than straight tritium that I have used.

I really don't know about the dovetails. I don't know if the sights were OEM, but I suspect (from dings) they were aftermarket, like the SFS and the C&S trigger with the removal of the mag safety.

They were very dim, and I wanted low profile fixed sights so i just sent it off to Novak for a week and it came back perfect.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - April 24 2013 :  1:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a fairly recent FN MkIII that came from the factory with the SFS system. It shoots very well, and is 100% reliable with the right ammo & mags (alas not with what would be my first choice - GD 124gr +P in Mecgar 15 rounders). I personally wouldn't carry it for CCW because it is SA-only and I don't want to deal with a manual safety. I have carried it empty with loaded mags on my person at the range, in compliance with my club's "cold range" policy. If I have to insert a mag & rack the slide anyway, the manual safety issue doesn't come into play with most pistols (unless it is slide-mounted such that I might accidentally flip it on while cycling the slide).
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - April 24 2013 :  11:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Charles Daily it's been 100%. I don't carry it but, I would. It came with XS Big Dot sights that I replaced with Novaks. The CD guns use a standard 1911 dovetail. I wish I had bought a dozen when they were selling for $300.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - April 25 2013 :  8:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't carry one but if I were going to carry a 9mm for something other than a hide out it would most likely be a Browning.

I own a few and the MkIII is done right, the only thing I do to them is put on some thin stocks without the thumb rests and remove the magazine disconnect. I do modify the back of the hammer so that they don't eat a hole in the web of my hand.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

devildog24
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - April 30 2013 :  9:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a MK3 that I carry frequently. This is the gun I shoot the best. Very ergonomic, pleasant to shoot.

marine:best friend, worst enemy
Go to Top of Page

miragetex

USA
100 Posts

Posted - April 30 2013 :  10:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always liked the way the HP fits my hand. Not to change the subject, but I just have to mention the CZ 75 feels a lot like the HP, and it costs quite a bit less while not giving up anything in dependability or quality of construction. I personally like the fact that the CZ has the option of double action for the first round or it can be carried in Condition One.
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  09:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to trade for the Mk.3. Even with the magazine disconnect it has a very good trigger. My gunsmith will take out the disconnect and make sure it's ok.
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miragetex

Not to change the subject, but I just have to mention the CZ 75 feels a lot like the HP, and it costs quite a bit less while not giving up anything in dependability or quality of construction. I personally like the fact that the CZ has the option of double action for the first round or it can be carried in Condition One.

The standard CZ75 action you describe unfortunately requires pulling the trigger to decock it to get that first round DA, basically like you'd decock a DA revolver that had been cocked but not fired. However, CZ makes decocker variants of almost all their CZ75-derived pistols that replace the manual safety with a decocker. IMO this is a better choice if you want to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber and fire the first round DA, but the original CZ75 action is the way to go if you want to carry Condition One.

My CZ P-01 is an alloy-frame compact decocker CZ75 variant developed for the Czech national police, and is excellent in just about every way (especially grip ergonomics). The only drawback, which is common to all CZ75 derivatives (including those made by other companies), is that due to the inverted slide rail arrangement you have about half as much surface to grab when racking the slide as compared to normal pistols. In practice I haven't had a problem with that.

I think a compact alloy-framed HP (Cylinder & Slide makes these) would be better for concealment because the HP is noticably thinner than the CZ's (or just about any other service pistol I can think of). I'd bite if it came in a decocker-no-safety variant, but to my knowledge it doesn't. At one time FN offered a DA/SA HP variant, but they didn't make many and I've been told the mags are not interchangeable with the HP (and thus probably very expensive even if you tracked down an example of the pistol).

Edited by - Barnacle Bill on May 01 2013 10:15:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

varetfed

USA
139 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The agency I started my federal career with had High Powers in the inventory. I had owned a BHP while I was in college and came to appreciate what a fine pistol the BHP is. I later went with another federal agency where the BHP was not authorized. After I retired I obtained a .40S&W caliber FN HP, but was not fond of it and sold it to a retired agent friend. Recently I traded for a Novak tuned BHP - a fine pistol. I am getting "re-acquainted" and may begin using it as my daily concealed carry pistol.

VARETFED
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  12:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opted to leave the magazine disconnect IN mine. The mags are all polished nicely where the disconnect "pad" contacts the may itself, so the trigger is quite smooth and right at my preferred five pounds. So far, it works well with factory 10, 13 and Mec-Gar 13 and 15 round magazines. I do not use any other magazines other than factory or Mec-Gars in my MK III.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  1:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had good luck with KB mags doing the same cleaning and polishing I do with all new mags. I finally found some Mec Gar from a link here.

My BHP is stock except for the ambi safety required for normal people.
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  4:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RandyB45,Malcolm when you polish the mags. "at the disconnect pad contac point of the mag". What do you use,wax,dremil tool? This is the first time i have been given this fix for the mag. disconnect. Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a dremel with toothpaste-Crest to be precise, great polishing agent! Also used a VERY soft felt wheel GENTLY.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.34seconds. Snitz Forums 2000