Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Armed & female
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Armed & female
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - December 30 2012 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't posted in a while so here goes. Re: Paxton Quigley's book; my older (22y.o.) daughter took possession of HER first gun yesterday. I'd engineered the transfer between an older sister of mine who's hubby passed a couple years ago and left my sister a bunch of guns. I've been keeping her pistol, at her request, for about a year but yesterday while on her Christmas break from college she took official possession of HER gun, an old Llama .22 that's a scaled down version of the 1911. It's not the ideal gun imho but it's good for her as she has some physical disabilities that limit her upper body strength so the important thing is that she'll eventually likely carry of her own choosing. I'd also fascilitated her getting her PA 'ccw' shortly after her 21st b'day and her gentleman friend is also a 'ccw' so he's got my approval. I've learned the easy way that a guy can and should make suggestions to his ladies BUT, to let them make their own final decisions on these matters, a degree of self-learning if you will. In testing her gun to find out what it likes, as .22's in particular seem to be rather picky, the Llama likes CCI Stingers so I gave her three boxes I had on hand, enough to get her started. Daughter 'L' has been watching some Youtube video's of ladies wearing their guns to figure out exactly how she wants to carry it, and eventually she'll decide if she can 'graduate' to a larger caliber. She already knows she can't handle a .38 snubby but she is considering a small, single 'stack' 9mm. When she was a toddler she learned how to walk, one step at a time, like we all did, so now she'll continue, with her gentleman friends, his dad and my own timely and positive assistance.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)

Edited by - nightlighter12 on December 30 2012 09:18:22 AM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - December 30 2012 :  4:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her; and congratulations to you for having the wisdom so many of us took so long to learn. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - January 14 2013 :  7:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That book helped my wife get into guns and shooting !!
Now she's an NRA instructor...
Pass it along to the next lady in line !

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - February 08 2014 :  10:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daughter 'L' likes the new Ruger SR22. We (she, her gentleman friend & I) checked one over today, it's 'two-tone' with a stainless steel looking slide. The dealer will take her ole Llama on partial trade. 'L' is checking out IWB holsters. I'm excited

The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting...It's about our right, all of our right (the citizens) to protect ourselves, from all of you guys (the politicians) up there. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp (survivor of the Luby's Restaurant massacre, Killeen, TX 10-16-91 both her parents were murdered in the massacre)

Edited by - nightlighter12 on February 08 2014 10:04:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  01:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd welcome details on holster and position of belt she carries.

We still haven't found holster that works real good for my gf with her 9mm Glocks.

She has one IWB that works okay, if she will be standing.

But she tends to default to fanny pack carry most of the time, since it isn't painful like belt carry tends to be when seated.

Typical difficulty that women have with wider hips and shorter torsos than men, her ribs get pounded when sitting or bending.

Edited by - Dov on February 09 2014 01:32:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dov, be advised L hasn't actually begun carrying as yet, however, she's been checking out a simple pouch type holster advertised on another website that I've listed in the 'web references' section for moderator approval. If that link is approved I'll direct you to the holster L is interested in. One other thing is that L is 5'5" and about 120lbs, a bit on the slim side.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I let my girls-now adults decide all on their own how/where/style to carry. Worked out better for me a LOT less frustration. They are happy, I'm happy and as usual, Dad didn't know what either of them would like. Better to let them decide.
One daughter just asked me that "since you are taking the two oldest grandsons to an AR-15 building class, can I come to?"
Of course. Never thought she was that "into" ARs though, the old man got surprised yet again.
Glad "L" is getting her firearm mojo together.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
935 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  5:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter carries either a 2 inch model 10, or a model 37 air weight. She uses Simply Rugged pancake holsters for both. She has a High Noon Mr. Softy for her J-frame. She is tall (6 ft) and slender, has no problems concealing either.

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

795 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  6:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife either carries a KelTec P-3AT IWB in a Remora Holster, or a S&W 642 on her ankle in a Rengade Cozy Partner.... Some times she carries both. Her preference is the 642, unless she is wearing something that doesn't cover her ankles.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  6:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy25

My daughter carries either a 2 inch model 10, or a model 37 air weight. She uses Simply Rugged pancake holsters for both. She has a High Noon Mr. Softy for her J-frame. She is tall (6 ft) and slender, has no problems concealing either.

I know a couple women around 6' that carry, they don't seem to have as much problem as avg height women that I know that carry.

Not that I know that many women that carry, about half dozen, but only 3 of them carry frequently.

The tall ones tend to use similar carry as men, while the others tend towards purse or fanny pack.

Think one might use pocket carry, not sure.

Edited by - Dov on February 09 2014 6:28:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - February 09 2014 :  10:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
L has taken a liking to the Kydex IWB with the metal clip listed on the 'Well Armed Women' website. I've mentioned to her that the particular clip of that holster may not hold the holster in place when the gun is drawn, that a 'J' type clip or a belt loop like on the Sparks Summer Special might work better. However, I know few folks who have only a couple holsters, there's generally a learning curve at play. I did also send an e-mail to the WAW folks with my concerns so we'll wait for their response. I'm happy she's picked a gun she can handle

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - February 10 2014 :  8:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had several ladies in the store recently tending towards an IWB by Don Hume (don't remember the model #), putting it forward of the hip bone--almost appendix carry, but not quite as far forward. Some like the JIT, but in the same position.

Then there are the 'girls' who wear clothes so tight, if they had a nickel in their pocket you could read the date on them. I'm getting less discreet in explaining the need for 'bulkier' clothing to dress around the gun. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - March 27 2014 :  05:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
L got her gun. Found a small shop with the best price a couple weeks ago so we scraped together the funds necessary, L is now the proud owner of a new Ruger SR22 with a stainless slide. The Ruger likes CCI Stingers & Remington Vipers which are a little tough to find but we got 'em. She's had her first practice session with the gun and let me shoot it also. I like this gun

The only problem with the gun so far has been one of the magazines didn't allow lock-back when emptied. Close inspection compared with the other magazine indicated a pin in the follower was installed 'upside down', it was an easy fix so now both magazines will cause slide lock-back after the last round is fired.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 28 2014 :  9:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her! While a .22 isn't what I would choose, if for some reason I wanted/needed to carry one, the SR22 would be way high on the list of options. Have had a couple of ladies in the store recently seriously considering the same model for themselves. I made sure to give them the 'gun shop Bubba' advice to carry good ammo, and learn to reload quickly--with the spare magazine that they should always have with them. Ace

Go to Top of Page

nightlighter12
Advanced Member

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - March 30 2014 :  11:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reversing the 'upside down' follower pin to right side up made the difference. Both magazines work fine now, lock-back after the last round. Trigger linkage still needs broken in but that will come whilst L tries to 'wear out' her gun

Now to find more Remington Viper .22's.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000