StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - I thought I'd introduce myself...
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 I thought I'd introduce myself...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  12:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DNS,
Thanks for the welcome.

Wolfgang, let me know if you find yourself needing a dictionary...I've got several.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1309 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  12:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Victoria, notice how a lady comes on-board and the IQ level just went up.
I'm curious if the 5.7 was the FN version or the archaic 5.7 spitfire that was once chambered in the M1carbine. That one if memory serves was necked down 30 carbine to .22 and called the 5.7 for sales purposes. The FN version is the same caliber that was used on base to kill soldiers at Ft. Hood. chambered for both pistol and bullpup rifle.
I hope that we get to learn from your expertise as well.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  2:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnalyticType

DNS,
Thanks for the welcome.

Wolfgang, let me know if you find yourself needing a dictionary...I've got several.

Thanks, but my Franklin word master works for me most of the time. If not my wife was a honors english student in collage. When I tilt all the spell checkers she pick up the slack!

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandaidman

Welcome aboard Victoria, notice how a lady comes on-board and the IQ level just went up.
I'm curious if the 5.7 was the FN version or the archaic 5.7 spitfire that was once chambered in the M1carbine. That one if memory serves was necked down 30 carbine to .22 and called the 5.7 for sales purposes. The FN version is the same caliber that was used on base to kill soldiers at Ft. Hood. chambered for both pistol and bullpup rifle.
I hope that we get to learn from your expertise as well.

Thanks! I'll share what I know when asked.

As for the 5.7mm I used as an example above, I've seen the 5.7x28mm about a dozen times now in cartel gun battles in MX and (as far as I can tell given the GOM's fuzzy reporting after such events) used in pistols rather than long guns.

I've got questions about that round, but I'll raise them in the appropriate place, rather than here.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.
Go to Top of Page

dawei

USA
182 Posts

Posted - December 29 2012 :  2:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Victoria! Thank you for joining us!

David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4given
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - January 05 2013 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies for a late welcome aboard Victoria.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 05 2013 :  3:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pitbull & dawei. I'm settling in nicely I think. I dunno. Randy! You still disavowing all responsibility for my presence?! I haven't blown anything up (yet), I haven't crashed the server, and I'm learnin' stuff! That's not half bad for a first week...right?

Edited by - AnalyticType on January 05 2013 3:11:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
405 Posts

Posted - January 05 2013 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Victoria, welcome from PA (I'm pretty original that way) and hope we can all learn from each other.

This is the first time I've ventured into the Gals and Guns forum and am glad I did. It's great to see women interested in keeping themselves and loved ones safe.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 05 2013 :  6:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there Dave in PA. I'm not in PA, or from PA, but I did pretend to live there for four years, not long ago.

I'm a rather self-reliant sort of dame, so I'm all about self-protection and self-rescue. I prolly am in good company here.

Oh, on that self-protection thing: I'll be going to Front Sight in March for four days of handgun training. It's gonna be AWESOME!!!

Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - January 05 2013 :  9:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belated welcome AT. I have been enjoying not only your comments, but also your emoticons. Awhile back in one of your posts you used the term DOT in connection with MX(Mexico). What does that mean? Thanks for humoring on OFG(Old Fat Guy) Retfed
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another belated welcome, AT.

I'm one of 'the least of these' on this forum: no military or LE experience. Grateful for the opportunity to listen and learn.

As you're seeing, you won't find a more helpful or respectful bunch of gentlemen anywhere. An amazing wealth of knowledge about guns and gunfighting. Not to mention, so many avid boaters! Though I'm thinking we're seeing an awful lot of accidents here lately. Someone could invent a combination life-preserver/body armor and make a good buck selling them to forum members.

I'm thinking you may be the first lady to be an active participant here? From the response so far, it would appear that the guys are digging your presence big-time...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  5:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think, as one of the new kids, she otta have a homework assignment. I suggest a full report on the Front Sight experience, considering the mixed reviews we've gotten here about that organization. All in favor.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by retfed89

Belated welcome AT. I have been enjoying not only your comments, but also your emoticons. Awhile back in one of your posts you used the term DOT in connection with MX(Mexico). What does that mean? Thanks for humoring on OFG(Old Fat Guy) Retfed

Hey Retfed! Thanks! I have hundreds of those emoticons, but I try to use them sparingly. The LAST thing that I want to do is put forth the impression that I'm some kinda cutsy, kittens & puppies girlie-girl type. I'd have to disown me!

The acronym I used (and will repeatedly cuz it's easier than typin' the whole thing out) is DTO = Drug Trafficking Organization, aka the cartels. Sorry that I neglected to define that one when I first used it!!!

Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks AT, now I feel really old/dumb, being a retired Fed Narc. I guess it really is the mind the first to go, or is it something else? I wish I could remember! Retfed
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  8:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

Another belated welcome, AT.

I'm one of 'the least of these' on this forum: no military or LE experience. Grateful for the opportunity to listen and learn.

As you're seeing, you won't find a more helpful or respectful bunch of gentlemen anywhere. An amazing wealth of knowledge about guns and gunfighting. Not to mention, so many avid boaters! Though I'm thinking we're seeing an awful lot of accidents here lately. Someone could invent a combination life-preserver/body armor and make a good buck selling them to forum members.

I'm thinking you may be the first lady to be an active participant here? From the response so far, it would appear that the guys are digging your presence big-time...

Thanks LittleBill!

Yeah, I did notice the avid boaters, but I think they may need lessons. So many tragic accidents!

Ya know, I have been wondering about the lack of female participation here -- but I'm glad that I've passed muster.

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

I think, as one of the new kids, she otta have a homework assignment. I suggest a full report on the Front Sight experience, considering the mixed reviews we've gotten here about that organization. All in favor.... Ace

Ace, I'm up for that. I'll be sure to keep a detailed log of events during my sojourn to the desert, so's I can provide a thorough debrief.

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  8:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by retfed89

Thanks AT, now I feel really old/dumb, being a retired Fed Narc. I guess it really is the mind the first to go, or is it something else? I wish I could remember! Retfed

Holy Smokes! Um....I won't tell if you won't....

Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  10:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A belated welcome from me as well...as you have already discovered, this is a great place to hang out. Lots of good info from a bunch of friendly folks.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - January 06 2013 :  10:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh...I guess that I could have read through the previous posts...I would have realized that I had already said hi.

That's one of the things that getting old does to you...can't remember much beyond a couple of minutes, and I feel lucky when I can do that!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Gunthorp

USA
87 Posts

Posted - February 21 2013 :  12:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A belated welcome from Duluth, MN. My bride of 40 yrs is also named Victoria. You'll find straight shooting here on Evan's forum. I'd post more, but up here when my computer freezes, my fingers aren't far behind.

The nick of time comes just before the moment lost.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.41seconds. Snitz Forums 2000