StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - I thought I'd introduce myself...
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 I thought I'd introduce myself...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  7:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from Austin, Texas, y'all.

I'm a newly accepted member here, and thank you for that! Y'all were highly recommended by a friend of mine, goes by RandyB45...

At any rate, I'm a gal, I like guns, and I've owned a few, so this seemed the appropriate area to introduce myself.

I'm Victoria, and I'm here to learn from all y'all. I will have loads of questions in appropriate threads on many different weapons. Some of my questions will be for personal edification, but many will be for my professional understanding.

Got any questions of me? Fire away. If I can answer it in an open thread I will; if not, I'll PM you with my response. Fair enough?

Merry Christmas, y'all!!

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  7:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome y'all.

Pull up a chair and enjoy Evan's very fine site. We enjoy ourselves and try not to get super serious unless the subjects dictates it.

No experts are allowed, but we do have a group of people that studies hard, and lots of good information is here. Enjoy

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

BobK
Advanced Member

USA
1983 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  7:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!! Welcome to SPN!

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  9:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! You know Randy? Lord help you....

All kidding aside, he knows the serious stuff so listen to him.

Feel welcome to ask any questions. We may not agree on the small stuff like our favorite handgun, Moon Pies, etc. but I think all of our values are the same.
You will meet people on line, on the phone, or in person like I met Randy myself once. No strangers and folks will help you out before you know it. I have learned alot from this site myself.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  11:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Most of us think this is the best website there is for civil discourse and solid opinion. Unlike most sites you will not be berated for asking common questions and it's a rare day when someone can't provide an answer....although the most frequent answer is "It depends". Many of the more complex issues do not lend themselves to cut and dry answers. Sometimes the anwser is largely situationally dependent or may lie outside the realm of current definitive knowledge.

There are a lot of older folks here with a great deal of cumulative experience. Poseurs and guys on ego trips don't last long. But ploiteness remains the order of the day.

Stick around. I think you'll enjoy it.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  11:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any friend of Randy's is a friend of mine. Welcome aboard!

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  12:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome!

When Randy suggested that I check out SPN, he said it's a pretty tight group. So he said, if I'm contacted about my request to join, that I should mention that he'd referred me. "After they stop laughing," he said y'all would let me join......

Arvinator, I do listen to Randy....that's why I'm here.

Keeping the rules firmly in mind, the kinds of things that I typically have questions about are weapon type origins, capabilities, utility, etc, but specific to their use in MX by DTOs. The cartels.

A for instance: I grew up around firearms, but when an incident in MX that I was analyzing included the use of 5.7mm rounds, I had not ever heard of that caliber, and had to dig around a bunch to educate myself. So now I understand *in theory* what that round and corresponding weapon is and does, but I've yet to lay hands on one or see one -- so that knowledge remains theoretical.

Make sense?

Anyway, I thank you all for the welcome!

Oh, a question...I'm an analyst, I'm full of 'em... I would like to include the URL for my little website in my signature. Is that permissible? I'm an independent consultant.

Thanks!!

Victoria

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." ~~ Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton

"[...] it wasn’t the gun. It was the shooter. As it always is." -- Michael Walsh (PJ Media) regarding the Moscone-Milk shooting.

Edited by - AnalyticType on December 25 2012 12:21:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  01:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the here. I, for one, am hoping that when you say you're an analyst, you don't mean the psychology type; otherwise some of us may be in trouble.

Of all the sites you could pick to join to cover the subject matter, you found (or were referred to) the best. No Keyboard Kommandoes, Mall Ninja, Gunshop Guru types last long here, but they do provide some good entertainment when they show up. Pull up a chair, grab a RC and a Moon Pie, and have some good, serious fun. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  01:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ace. Good point....I'm an intelligence analyst, not the psych type!

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  01:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome!

Believe I know what DTO is, not familiar with MX?
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  02:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Welcome!

Believe I know what DTO is, not familiar with MX?

Sorry...Mexico

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  03:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

If you are a friend of Randy, that's good enough for me. Welcome, Victoria.

Rick, East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  04:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome from me too...You will love this site!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  08:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the finest gathering of logic, experience, and maturity anywhere.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  08:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnalyticType

Oh, a question...I'm an analyst, I'm full of 'em... I would like to include the URL for my little website in my signature. Is that permissible? I'm an independent consultant.

Thanks!!

Victoria

Moon Pies will get you a long way here...............

AFA the URL, the rules of the forum ask that you post the URL in the appropriate area for approval, and it will remain there for folks to use. Having a URL in a signature would be frowned upon.

Feel free to note in your post when you do put the URL out for approval so folks know to go there.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exfed2002

quote:
Originally posted by AnalyticType

Thanks!!

Victoria

Moon Pies will get you a long way here...............

AFA the URL, the rules of the forum ask that you post the URL in the appropriate area for approval, and it will remain there for folks to use. Having a URL in a signature would be frowned upon.

Feel free to note in your post when you do put the URL out for approval so folks know to go there.

Understood, and thank you.

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  2:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not responsible for her.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  4:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kinda figured that after reading her posts. But, she sure does sound like one of us.

Welcome, Victoria!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, Randy, yes you are "responsible"...
all teasing aside Victoria, (I have a sister by that name) welcome here. (even if you was brung by "him"...)
We can use all the Intel we can get here.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  9:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm & Chris, thanks.

Randy, nice ta "see" ya. Y'all having a good Christmas Day? I'm semi-successfully fighting off the food coma.

By the way, I posted something in the Website References board, but it hasn't been moderated yet. It's regarding the publication of every gun license holder in three major counties surrounding NYC -- full name & physical address -- that was cited by the NYT a couple days ago.

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2413 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  9:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, you're going to blame me. That still doesn't mean I'm responsible.

Glad they let you in, Vic. I hope you'll forgive me.
Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  10:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RandyB45

Malcolm, you're going to blame me. That still doesn't mean I'm responsible.

Glad they let you in, Vic. I hope you'll forgive me.

Welllllllllll...okay...

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  08:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Yesterday we had six of our seven kids and their spouses here along with 27 of our 30 grandchildren.

There are no experts here and civil discourse is required. We have the occasional Knucklehead but they never last long. There are no stupid questions and flaming is forbidden.

Randy is a sort of special case and I met him at the Puzzle Palace at Fort Chaffee. Other than him trying to steal my guns one part at a time he's been relatively harmless.

While many of us compete in different types of competition, we focus on the most serious venue-the street.

You'll find virtually all of us carry at least two handguns daily and rifles in cars is fairly common among us.

I may never own the largest discussion forum but I frankly think it's best one.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

AnalyticType

USA
78 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  1:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I know I'm in the right place. Thank you, Evan.

Victoria

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  7:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there and welcome.

Guys we may be in trouble she's using them 50 cent words!

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - December 26 2012 :  7:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfgang2000

Hi there and welcome.

Guys we may be in trouble she's using them 50 cent words!

Like intelligence

Oh. And welcome aboard.

Edited by - DNSeely on December 26 2012 7:41:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000