Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New CCW pistol
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 New CCW pistol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

M_E_

USA
123 Posts

Posted - December 23 2012 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking of a new CCW pistol. I have many pistols to carry here in the Phoenix area. But am thinking of getting a new pistol for carry.

HK P2000SK V3 in 9mm. I do have a P30 in 9 but the grip is way too big for CCW. I have a Walther PPS but not a big fan of the trigger. Nice & flat but it's not really what I want.

Anyone carry the HK P200SK and your thoughts?

NRA Certified Instructor

NRA Life Member

The bigger the hole, the harder they squirt!

varetfed

USA
139 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the HK P-2000. I have one in 9MM and it conceals with no problem. I have about 1K mixed rounds through it so far with no problems.
Go to Top of Page

Geoff

USA
81 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  1:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the HK P2000....I have the .40 version and it conceals very, very well. Been carrying it for years. Get a good Kramer horsehide holster and a couple of extra mags as well. Honestly, one of the best CCW that I've found for me. And, the P2000 is a soft shooter for a .40 as well.

Good luck!

Prepare for tomorrow by training your mind and body today.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
181 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing about guns that are too big for concealed carry and I wish someone could explain the concept to me.I carry a Springfield XDM 3.8 in barrel and full size grip.(19+1)capacity.I just don't seem to understand the too big to conceal concept.A S&W X-Frame maybe but other than that?????????

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

ranger45

195 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stock mag base on the sk cramps my finger together. I hear they offer a different base pad for it though. I third the 2000.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have a winner!

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - December 24 2012 :  5:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I sit here typing this I'm wearing two Sig P 250's-one in .357 SIG and the other in 9MM.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  01:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles, it depends on how you want to dress. If you want to wear clothes so tight that if you put a nickel in the pocket we could read the date, it's gonna be hard to find anything hideable. If you don't mind wearing shirts or jackets a size larger than 'normal', maybe you could hide that X-frame, but you certainly could hide a full-size XD. I'm toting around about one extra person in weight, but when Omar the Tentmaker is in town, even I can find clothes bulky enough to carry a Commander-size .45, or 9mm XD, or Ruger P89 without anyone knowing. Just stay away from clingy material, wear darker colors, and maybe have a 'busy' pattern on your shirts. Next is quality holsters and belts. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1221 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  06:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Ellis

I keep hearing about guns that are too big for concealed carry and I wish someone could explain the concept to me.

I dress around the gun, but also modify my carry method depending on how I have to dress.

I can wear an OWB rig with any weapon I choose to carry when the weather is cold and I can wear a jacket or sweater i can leave on all of the time.

When the weather is warm and/or I'm going bike riding without heavy clothing on, I just slip the weapon into a Remora IWB rig at about 0430 and leave my shirttails out. I can carry anything up to a full size 1911 this way with no real printing issues. And I am only 5'7" and about 155.

I size my clothes so they are never quite right, but never quite wrong. A side benefit for me is that wearing IWB provides me with a reminder when it is time to either get on the bike/weights more, or cut down on the ice cream........

AFA being spotted, most folks would not notice a print if it hit them in the face, and unfortunately neither would a lot of MOS these days. The trained gun spotter is becoming near extinct, as these types of EFFECTIVE operations/units (street crimes, NSU, stop and frisk) become less PC. But it is very hard to conceal a weapon from somebody who is a pro and knows what he or she is doing.

Now I have to figure what to do with my right arm. After near 40 years of having something on the right side, my left arm naturally hangs next to my body, but my right one hangs about four inches out..........

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

SCG1911
Average Member

USA
261 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My go to carry piece is now a Glock 31. If you are looking at 9mm, why not step up a bit in power and get a new Gen 3 or 4 Glock 31. Then back it up as I do with a Glock 33 for pocket or ankle carry and in some cases for quick outings under a tee-shirt. Both pistols are lighter than the others that have been brought up. If you carry for long days, go light. They make a great combination and can share mags. Just my .02.

All the Best,
Steve

"Political Correctness and Complacency are our greatest enemies today!"
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
181 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace and exfed dressing around the gun is the key to carrying concealed.I usually carry either the Springfield XDM and a J-frame or a Glock23 and a J-frame.A couple of years ago my sisters son and his family were visiting from Kentucky and I took him and his 2 sons to the local range.While we were there I decided to shoot the J-frame that I was carrying and got it out and did so.The younger or the 2 boys,he was about 12 at the time,noticed me taking it out and gave me some grief about carrying a gun.When we left the range they went back to my sisters house.I went home and loaded up,and joined them later.After about 2 hours of visiting I went to the boy and told him that since he had given me some grief about carrying a gun that he only knew I had because I got it out to shoot,I had a challenge for him.I offered him $10 for every gun he could see that I was carrying and for every one that he missed he would pay me $10.He didn't want to play.My only concealment was a loose fitting shirt and pants.I had 2 N-frame S&W's,Glock's 23,19,27 3 J-frame S&W's,several small automatics to a total of 12 handguns.For the 2 or so hours that I had been there and visiting,nobody was aware that I had even 1 gun much less 12.It's all in how you dress.I don't wear clothes that look like I was poured into.Ace if you see Omar,ask him to give me a call.I'm in need of some new shirts and pants and his work is first rate.

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - December 25 2012 :  11:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12? You win. I've done five, and about to have help standing up. Good lesson for the boy.

I recall one time laying on the floor playing with a baby who became my nephew, and the subject of guns came up. The mom, who became my sister-in-law, was adamant that no one would ever be allowed in her house with a gun. Little did she know..... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

XTrooper
Average Member

USA
277 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  05:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My carry pistol for the past year has been my P30LS V1 .40 S&W, so it's not way too big to carry concealed. You just have to dress around your weapon of choice.

That said, I also have a P2000SK V1 .40 S&W and it is a sweet little pistol that is super easy to conceal. My SK actually has a little better trigger than my P30LS does. It's a real shooter. Fact is, the only negative thing I can say about the SK is that it is too pleasant to shoot. The first time my wife shot it, she decided it was her new pistol!

Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/91)
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA
NRA-Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor

Edited by - XTrooper on December 27 2012 05:42:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charles Ellis

USA
181 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  06:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace the most I've carried for real is three and 2 of those are small.I did that just to mess with(teach) the kid something.I had my belt so tight that this old fat guy even had a wasp waist.If I would have fallen into a mud hole I would have drowned and every time I got up the knees creaked.

C.Ellis
Go to Top of Page

wburychka

USA
53 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  11:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had several handguns and could afford still another for concealed carry, I would be tempted by a Glock 32 in .357Sig.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work." -Paul Harvey, 1964
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  4:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing against a P2000, but once again a P30 is carryable. I routinely carry two real sized pistols OWB with untucked shirt. Three with two on belt, and 3rd in pocket can lead to pants going south. I'd have to either lighten the two steel frames on the belt, or use dia under shirt or ankle for third.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - December 27 2012 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't have to dress around your primary, you may be undergunned.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

FORT CHAFFEE
Advanced Member

USA
1375 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good point Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - December 28 2012 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

If you don't have to dress around your primary, you may be undergunned.

Jeff

I may have to borrow that line for my CHL classes.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

ghiapaul
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - January 17 2013 :  9:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have carried my USP45 in a belt holster all day with no problem, but I too dress around the gun I carry. I have started carrying a XDsin .45acp as my EDCG. M_E_, at the shot show, SA introduced this gun in 9mm, so it would be something to look at since you seem to like 9mm.
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
75 Posts

Posted - February 01 2017 :  9:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been carrying an H&K P30SK and love it - very accurate. It also has a hammer, which I happen to like, although I do like the Sig 250.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - February 02 2017 :  08:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Ellis

I keep hearing about guns that are too big for concealed carry and I wish someone could explain the concept to me.I carry a Springfield XDM 3.8 in barrel and full size grip.(19+1)capacity.I just don't seem to understand the too big to conceal concept.A S&W X-Frame maybe but other than that?????????

I'm sorta with you but then as I sit typing this I am wearing two 1911s and a J-frame .357 - I've cut back since I retired

Up until last week it was a 1911 and a 4" S&W 629 but I went on road trip and figured I'd just carry an expendable .45 Auto I would not mind losing for a year if I had to shoot someone out of my gun friendly state.

Everyone has to work out their own salvation and no one will get any flak from me for whatever they choose, but I usually just scratch my head when I see the statement that this or that gun is "too big" - not a criticism but I normally figure the person has not been really packing a gun too long - pick a good holster and dress around the gun.

Mind you there are certain circumstances and even physical limitations that might apply.

Again, no criticism of anyone is implied - we are just talking around the pot-bellied stove in the General Store Carry what fits your requirements.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - February 02 2017 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'm curious. Would you feel comfortable telling what load you carry in the 629? Is it more for people, or critters, or a load suitable for both? Ace

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - February 02 2017 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first started dressing around the gun when a .38 snub almost got me killed. I replaced it with my duty gun, a Smith Model 58 .41 Magnum carried in a Safariland plain clothes holster.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - February 03 2017 :  08:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Jim, I'm curious. Would you feel comfortable telling what load you carry in the 629? Is it more for people, or critters, or a load suitable for both? Ace

Sure;

Normally in the 629 I use the Speer Blazer 240 JHP - that is because it is more like the old Elmer Keith .44 Spl handload (actually it is even milder).

It pushes that 240 at about 1050 from my 4" 629.

My spare ammo however is Speer .44 Spl Gold Dot, and that is because sometimes I switch to a 3" 624 .44 Spl as the BUG and I don't have to change out my spare ammo carriers.

It is really more for critters than people, but it will do both.

I go to the big city a lot less than I used to but, unless it is just a quick trip to visit the son and come right back, I normally switch back to a 1911 for the BUG.

I'm working on a .45 Colt handload for my 3" custom 25-5 which I actually like better than the .44 - but just by a little bit.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - February 03 2017 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim. I was afraid you would say something like a 180gr JHP, and that would make my hand hurt, just thinking about it. Ace

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000