Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Hearing protection
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Hearing protection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with really effective hearing protection for my wife. She has grasped that recoil is no big deal but the muzzle blast is the issue. I doubt she'll get foamies in well enough to be effective so I'm looking at non-electronic muffs.

During my searches I see a lot of db reduction claims with too many reviews that the rating is bloated and not as effective as other muffs they have with a lower rating.

Can some of you guys and gals recommend effective muffs at an affordable price? Can they be had in low profile too?

Thanks for your help,
Andy

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If muzzle blast is an issue the combination of plugs and muffs may be the answer. Some of the most comfortable and effective muffs I have used are the sold at Harbor Freight Tool. They only cost 5 bucks or so. You might want to have a pair of fitted plugs made. There a are a couple of DIY kits for less than $20 that are very efficient. Good luck, good hearing protection is a very difficult thing to get for some people.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used the soft foam ear canal inserts disposable kind in concert with some decent ear muffs, I use Silencing brand, they have been stellar for me, and yes they do have lower profile models at decent prices.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep the Harbor Freight little foam plugs for classes, have used them myself and when rolled up tight so they swell to fill the ear canal, they've worked quite well. Normally I use a pair of Sportsmans Guide cheap electronic muffs I got as a gift. I said 'Thank you', thinking 'These will be in the next garage sale'. Surprisingly, they work just fine--a little more crackly than the Peltors and such, but nothing bad. Work good with the switch off, too.
Hope you find something that works for her. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

667 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  9:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check Amazon for Pyramex PM5010 Muffs, reported 31 dB reduction. I saw these at a match the other week on a kid, and he was complaining they were TOO quiet.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  07:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I like plugs myself and don't have much trouble getting even the foamies rolled tight and well sealed in my ears. My wife not so much though. I'll hop back over to Amazon and check out those PM1050s.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1220 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I have used the soft foam ear canal inserts disposable kind in concert with some decent ear muffs, I use Silencing brand, they have been stellar for me, and yes they do have lower profile models at decent prices.

and I'm still back in the 1960's with (clean) 38 or 9MM brass stuffed in my ears underneath my Peltor active muffs................

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  11:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"For my ears" I always have to really wrestle to get good fit in one ear w/ soft foam . I now carry a set of the plastic ones with the orange string all the time for unexpected noisy situations , or for doubling up if desired.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.44seconds. Snitz Forums 2000