StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Holsters for ladies?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Holsters for ladies?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 16 2012 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a ladies-only CCH class coming up, and have had more women sign up the last few classes, which is a good thing. One thing I've noticed, though, is that girls tend to have different...uh....silhouettes than boys. Some have no problem with 'regular' holsters, but some who have a more curvy outline tend to get poked in the side with the gun grips. So what are some good holsters to recommend they look at for that situation? I could spend hours looking at the different brands and models, but it's more fun to come here, and takes less time. Thanks in advance. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Charlie Foxtrot

204 Posts

Posted - March 16 2012 :  9:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I would explain the merits of on body carry vs. the disadvantages of off body carry.

While there are quite a few specialty holsters manufactured with women in mind, e.g., bra and thigh holsters, I suggest that you start your students off with standard OWB holsters. With that in mind, I would recommend a good belt designed specifically for carrying the weight of the firearm and associated gear.

My observations over the years have been that many women wear standard "men's" OWB right handed concealment holsters at 1700 - 1730 hours to get the gun off of the hip and to minimize printing.
There are some OWB holsters designed with women in mind, such as the Safariland 329, Contour Concealment Holster. BTW, it's made for 1.25" belts.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - March 17 2012 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farnam just devoted his most recent quip to the subject with several internet links.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - March 19 2012 :  10:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kramer ladies holster... it's dropped and offset. I couldn't get my wife to carry on her hip until we got one of those... all the others made the gun poke her in the ribs. It's worth the $$$$

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - March 23 2012 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrs Biggfoot had a chance to use a prototype Kramers Wonen's holster, loved it. Until she found out it was horsehide (lifelong horse owner). It works well for guys with Dunlop syndrom too.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - March 23 2012 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, gives me some places to start.
The branch manager where I work may get to come to the class. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe it will be the start of some awareness training at work--which would make my job easier if anything ever happened (which I've been told it won't). Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - March 26 2012 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigfoot,
I've had horses in my life since I was born. Worked with them professionally for a large part of my life. Love them to death.
I have no issues wearing horsehide... good stuff.
I'm pretty sure they were dead before they 'donated' their hide for my holster. :)

It's recycling at it's best, Brother! Certainly the misses is into recycling, right?

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on March 26 2012 10:24:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1425 Posts

Posted - March 26 2012 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

It's recycling at it's best, Brother! Certainly the misses is into recycling, right?

That's funny!

Bigfoot, I'm pretty sure most of Kramer's designs are available in cowhide as well.
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  11:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't bother ME. To her it would be like eating the family dog. But was long as that's the stickiest issue , life is good.

But again in the origional topic, in general those holsters that for "average" guys stick out just a little far from the belt, and ride kinda medium height, would be worth trying for females w/ curves.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  12:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big foot, my wife is a retired LEO also. The problem has always been the hips. That is why women with any kinda of womans figure would wear the holster a little forward from the 3 a clock position.

Though I spent tons on different holsters for her over the years, she never really found a waist holster she liked. Even when her coke bottle figure went to a wine bottle, she preferred a shoulder holster or even purse carry.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000