StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .45 acp or .45 Long Colt?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .45 acp or .45 Long Colt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dennis strapon
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  1:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Send dennis strapon an AOL message  Send dennis strapon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A frind who is a 9mm. fan, is considering a larger caliber for something different. He is considering either a M+P or a Sprindfield XDM in .45 acp. He is also considering a .45 LC revolver. He asked which may be better. I told him both will work, But he may be better off with the .45 acp as ammo is readily available, and has a very good record in actual use. Any suggestions for him.

dennis R. strapon

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
1473 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does he intend to use it for? That could make a significant difference in the choice between .45 ACP and .45 LC.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

780 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used both M&P and xdm and like both a lot. I agree about ammo choices. There are many more good loads for the acp. I like the hst load.
Go to Top of Page

spwenger
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  2:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis strapon

Any suggestions for him.

Unless he wants a gun to shoot tougher critters than humans, I'd tell him to go with the one he shoots better.

Truth be told, if his current needs are served by his 9mm, I'd urge him to buy an exact duplicate. If his gun ever has to go into the shop or vanishes into an evidence locker, it's very nice to pull a duplicate out of the safe and have it fit the same holster and reflexes.

Stephen P. Wenger

Firearm safety - it's a matter for education, not legislation.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3149 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed to the above post. Far better to have an exact duplicate for "redundancy" purposes. Our family at presentis now doing just that with each primary carry and back up.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

dennis strapon
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  5:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Send dennis strapon an AOL message  Send dennis strapon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

What does he intend to use it for? That could make a significant difference in the choice between .45 ACP and .45 LC.

As far as I know, just personal defense, I agree, .45ACP would be a better choice as far as ammo, and weapon possibilites. Thanks, Dennis.

dennis R. strapon
Go to Top of Page

dennis strapon
Advanced Member

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  5:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Send dennis strapon an AOL message  Send dennis strapon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spwenger

quote:
Originally posted by dennis strapon

Any suggestions for him.

Unless he wants a gun to shoot tougher critters than humans, I'd tell him to go with the one he shoots better.

Truth be told, if his current needs are served by his 9mm, I'd urge him to buy an exact duplicate. If his gun ever has to go into the shop or vanishes into an evidence locker, it's very nice to pull a duplicate out of the safe and have it fit the same holster and reflexes.I have to agree with you. Its for personal defense, He should stay with with his 9mm and relax. Thanks.

dennis R. strapon
Go to Top of Page

Todd

USA
705 Posts

Posted - February 23 2012 :  12:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
1866 Posts

Posted - February 23 2012 :  03:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can get moonclip conversions so you can shoot 460, 454, 45LC, & 45 acp all in same gun if you start with 460 or 454 on down if you start with 454.

You do need different moon clips for acp vs rimmed cartridges AFAIK.
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2164 Posts

Posted - February 25 2012 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a semi vs revolver question. I'm biased because I like revolvers and .45LC, but that's me.
Go to Top of Page

Barnacle Bill
Advanced Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - February 25 2012 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Biggfoot44

It is a semi vs revolver question.

My S&W 625-4 begs to differ

I wouldn't choose it for CCW (open carry in the field maybe), but for home defense I think it's great. I keep it and a few spare moon clips full of 230gr Hydrashok in a convenient location.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7935 Posts

Posted - February 28 2012 :  2:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a clue from the name - .45 Automatic COLT Pistol

OK, sort of a joke, first off Colt can't make up its mind whether it is in the gun business or not and secondly there are other good autos and revolvers out there.

Hate to craw-fish but it sure does depend on what he wants it for. For self defense I have my preference but I sure would not impose that on other people...in my brief skimming of the above responses I did not see anything I would object to.

If I were considering hunting with the gun in country that harbors really big critters that may eat your or stomp you then the .45 Colt would sure be a consideration.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2164 Posts

Posted - March 02 2012 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Momentarily notwhithstanding the fine .45acp/.45AR revolvers , a .45acp autoloader would broadly speaking be closely parallel to his existing stable of 9mm. semiautos suitable for anti-personel SD. ( insert debate of .45acp vs 9mm ).

A .45LC revolver would actually be Different. Different opperating system, different capabilities. Depending on particular revolver selected could have additional recreational or sporting possabilities. Again depending on revolver selected could have seriously more power potential. And while greater selection of SD ammo for the acp , the offshoot of the lamentable .45/.410 revolvers is that there is now a greater selection of well designed SD rounds in .45Colt than ever before.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

2556 Posts

Posted - March 03 2012 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with good ammo 9mm, .45 acp, .45 LC are all good anti personel rounds and all close enough for government work. it's more the indian than the arrow.(standard line in the 9mm vs .45 debate)

of the two .45 acp automatics you mentioned, I would go for the M&P because I like them

if I wanted to load up some heavy .45LC for fun and hunting, I consider something along the line of a Ruger Blackhawk.

but if I wanted a .45 revolver for the joy of owning a big bore I'ld get a S&W like a nice m25 Mountain Gun, that seems like something really handy to have.

if he doesn't reload I'ld recommend a .44 magnum, it's usually a little cheaper and easier to find.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." -

Edited by - gw on March 03 2012 09:14:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000