StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - The Little Lady decided she wants a gun.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 The Little Lady decided she wants a gun.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Fuzz

USA
897 Posts

Posted - January 31 2012 :  1:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went shopping today since she wants to get a CCW. She tried on a few and likes the Rugerr LC9. She wants to stay with the 9mm but wants it to be flat so she can conceal it. Tomorrow we are going to look at Kahrs. Then let her decide.

Never get yourself into a situation that you can't talk, fight, or shoot yourself out of.

Edited by - The Fuzz on February 01 2012 10:59:12 AM

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1220 Posts

Posted - January 31 2012 :  4:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Fuzz

We went shipping today since she wants to get a CCW. She tried on a few and likes the Rugerr LC9. She wants to stay with the 9mm but wants it to be flat so she can conceal it. Tomorrow we are going to look at Kahrs. Then let her decide.

I should be so lucky.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page

The Fuzz

USA
897 Posts

Posted - January 31 2012 :  7:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes I am. Once she had our son she has realized that she lives in a scary place and should learn to protect herself. Not be a victim. I'm lucky to have a shooting partner now. That and it's sexy to see a woman with a gun.

Never get yourself into a situation that you can't talk, fight, or shoot yourself out of.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - January 31 2012 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is nothing like taking the mother of your children shooting... :)
My wife and I have spent some great time together on the range.

Momma bears are even scarier when properly armed and trained. haha

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  12:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You appear to be doing it right, by letting her choose. You will save money that way.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  1:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuzz, Might want to check out the Khar CM9 while your browsing. Examined one at a local gunshop yesterday and it is more compact than the Glock 26.
Under 400 bucks and appears to be pretty good quality for the money if your looking in the semi-auto 9MM market.
I haven't shot one yet, but I'm sure somebody this Forum might be able to give some feedback on the function, reliability, and accuracy end.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  2:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a CW9 and it ran flawlessly. Great little gun, sorry I sold it. The trigger reset is looong, it's like a DA revolver (except extremely light). That was only a problem for me because I am so used to shooting Glocks.
The frame seemed to take more of a beating than my Glock frames, at least from looking at wear marks - but it always ran.
I wish I still had it, if that tells you anything. ;)

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on February 01 2012 2:32:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

The Fuzz

USA
897 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitbull, I read about that one also. Sadly they didn't had one at the Gunshop here. Stuff came up today, so tomorrow hopefully we will make it to another shop. I think that CM9 is thin as the Ruger but shorter...correrct? My only concern is the recoil. I hope this other shop has one that we can rent.

Go to Top of Page

The Fuzz

USA
897 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  2:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had two Slick, sadly I sold them. Great little guns. I shot 127 grain +P+ Ranger T's out of them. They ran great.

Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  3:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CW 9 is an nice little gun. Slick. What kind of wear were you seeing?
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - February 01 2012 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pitbull

Fuzz, Might want to check out the Khar CM9 while your browsing. Examined one at a local gunshop yesterday and it is more compact than the Glock 26.
Under 400 bucks and appears to be pretty good quality for the money if your looking in the semi-auto 9MM market.
I haven't shot one yet, but I'm sure somebody this Forum might be able to give some feedback on the function, reliability, and accuracy end.

Check the magazine floor plate on the CM9. I had one come off the magazine in my hand. I called Kahr and left a message. Two business days later I received a call back from a Customer Service rep. I was told Kahr had received a batch of faulty magazines, to send mine in and it would be replaced. I sent mine back 1/23 and have not yet received a replacement.

I really like the CM9. Mine gets dry fired daily. I am trying to locate a JIT for it, even called Don Hume, they told me a 4 month wait.

Have not taken it to the range yet, but I stopped at Wally World yesterday and picked up ammo for the occasion.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

The Fuzz

USA
897 Posts

Posted - February 02 2012 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While looking further she has decided that she will buy a Kahr CM9 or a Diamond Back db9. She is leaning towards that Kahr because she wants something proven.

Go to Top of Page

41magfan
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - February 02 2012 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FUZZ,

I have two Kahr's, a CW9 and a CW45. They are great guns and have been flawless for me. I can carry the 9 as a pocket gun, no problem. It's one of my 2 BUG's when I go out in an ankle holster, the pockets are for a money clip, extra CW9 mag and my 642 in the other. You will be pleasantly surprised how well it does with recoil. I carry Ranger 124 +P's and have run 150 rounds or so of that through it to make sure it fed, no issues, recoil is very manageable. I'd compare it to a 850 fps 45 round, certainly nothing like the plus .45 load or even standard .40 loads. I put Crimson Trace on mine, my wife who's a fair, but not great shot can shoot a 4 inch or so group at 7 yds with it.

The only negative is the stippling or pineapple grip wears on your hands after about 25 rounds. I'd suggest a Hogue sleeve just to break it in, then take it off for carry. The grip is a non-issue with standard loads.

Tracy Clark

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - February 02 2012 :  6:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kahr beats the Db9 hands down... steer her in the right direction if you can at all do it!!!

DNSeely, the frame itself was showing... I don't know... scoring? scrape marks? Little scrapes and digs into the plastic of the frame around the slide rails. It wasn't "oh my gosh" kind of bad, they weren't deep, but it did on occasion leave a little 'hangnail' of plastic there. Normally it was just more like shallow rub marks - I hate to call them "gouges" because they weren't deep at all. It just made me wonder why it was beating up the frame so much. If it got to the point where it was really bothering me, I would have sent it back to Kahr with a "What the heck is this?" note.
I can't give you a round count, but I had put a fair amount of rounds through the little gun.

If they had a short trigger, I'd own several.
I still might... one just came in to the local gun shop, and now you guys have me beating myself up over selling the last one. ;)

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on February 02 2012 6:56:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - February 02 2012 :  7:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those CW khars are my favorites I think. The metal to metal surfaces
are a little less tight. I think this aids reliability.
Slick. That's the same thing I saw in mine. I could see wear on the plastic rail but not on the metal parts of the rails. I just figured it was caused by me while reasembling the gun since they don't seem to be structural.
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - February 03 2012 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same "wear" I get on my P9 guys. I never considered the plastic Kahr a range gun to be putting 'thousands' of rounds through. I've got about 1500 through mine as break in and reliability testing. The thing is reliable alright. Now I use it as one of my back up guns or deep concealed when I just cannot risk being made (at work).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - February 03 2012 :  10:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, but my Glocks don't do that.
The frame on the Kahr seems significantly thinner than that of a Glock, and combined with the "wear" issues I noticed, I decided to let it go and stick with Glock/M&P for plastic guns. Of course that's part of what makes the Kahr so much more concealable... it's way thinner in all respects. As mentioned, I had zero reliability issues with the Kahr, I just was uncomfortable with what I felt was "damage" to the frame.
I like to shoot my guns, carry or otherwise - a lot.
I felt it was a potential issue and dealt with it in a way that made me comfortable. There are lots of Kahrs out there running just fine.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000