Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Sig 938
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Sig 938
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vanman

USA
173 Posts

Posted - January 02 2012 :  11:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read that Sig will announce a 938 at SHOT. It is a 9mm based on the 238. I have felt marginally under gunned with the 238 and DPX. I might have to look into one in a year or so. I have been paying attention to Evan.

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3384 Posts

Posted - January 03 2012 :  02:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a little disappointed in the Sig 238. It was actually TOO small for my liking, and that's saying something. I really hate leaving my pinky hanging in space, and the size seemed to make manipulation more a little more difficult... It just seemed like everything was "crowded" on the little gun.
Maybe the (hopefully) slight increase in size will make this more appealing to me. I'm always willing to look.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

carlojohn90

193 Posts

Posted - January 08 2012 :  02:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the same way about the 238 until I got to fire one at the range and realized that there wasn't enough recoil to necessitate having the pinky on. After that I bought one, which had all sorts of problems. That was when they first came out. I bought another one last week that one works fine so far. They're the smallest gun that I can still shoot well and, assuming it keeps chugging along, will replace my LCP.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1141 Posts

Posted - February 05 2012 :  11:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Handled it at the show. The frame width was the same as the P238, but the slide is wider and chunkier to accommodate the more powerful round--not much, just a little bit.

I found the safety an awkward reach with my hand, but YMMV.

I think it's a nice gun, but can't figure out what role it would fill for me. It's a pocket sized gun, but I don't like 1911 style guns in that role. It seems too small for belt carry--if I'm going to wear a holster, I might as well put a larger gun in there.

I think it will prove to be a handful. I don't believe shooting 9mm in a gun that size will allow for fast follow up shots.

I think it will sell very well for Sig. It's very nicely made and is an attractive gun in many respects, but it's just not a good fit for me and my needs.

V/R
Mike

edited for propurr engelish

Edited by - Ten Driver on February 06 2012 11:30:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

TimM

USA
883 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May be something I would be interested in, I'll give it a couple of years, then think about it.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

2552 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  10:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't need/want the "ambi" safety on the the 238 or 938, especially if I'm putting it in my pocket, so that would need addressed for me.

I like the gun otherwise, but I'm not sure it replaces my j-frame

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." -
Go to Top of Page

Vanman

USA
173 Posts

Posted - February 06 2012 :  9:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ambi safety can be taken care of with a bench grinder. If it proves to be reliable in a year or so I might just replace my 238 with one. Better caliber, cheaper more available ammo, small increase in weight and size. What is not to like? On second thought, who am I kidding? It will be in addition too the 238.
Go to Top of Page

Wistfulman
Average Member

USA
408 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  12:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The entire concept of a cocked and locked pistol for pocket carry eludes me.

It's Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

2552 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  12:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
be okay in a good holster, I've seen folks carry Kahrs and Glocks in a front pocket, they don't even have a safety

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
1470 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine carrying a cocked & locked SA handgun in a pocket. I'm not worried about the safety working off - you still have to pull the trigger to fire it.... but the design is not "well used bar of soap" smooth and can hang up getting it out of the pocket... and then there is always the chance of pocket lint or other small debris slipping in under the cocked hammer and impeding the hammer strike on the primer.

I have a hard time imaginging what level of Real World expertise when into the design of the 238/938. Both would have been fine with a DAK-style trigger....why wasn't that considered?

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

2552 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was a straight copy of the SA Colt Mustang

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7932 Posts

Posted - March 15 2012 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

I can't imagine carrying a cocked & locked SA handgun in a pocket. I'm not worried about the safety working off - you still have to pull the trigger to fire it.... but the design is not "well used bar of soap" smooth and can hang up getting it out of the pocket... and then there is always the chance of pocket lint or other small debris slipping in under the cocked hammer and impeding the hammer strike on the primer.

I have a hard time imaginging what level of Real World expertise when into the design of the 238/938. Both would have been fine with a DAK-style trigger....why wasn't that considered?

As a guy who has packed a Cocked and Locked auto for nearly 40 years let me side with Chris on this... I had a Mustang (which is identical to a 238) years ago and handloaded 9mm level ammo for it (since it was locked breech). I just could not bear to wear it in a pocket holster cocked. I did not try Kydex which wasn't so common back then.

I will say, a cocked and unlocked Sig 238 is absolutely no different than a Glock or a S&W M&P in practical function - both triggers weigh about the same and have about the same amount of travel...but I'm not packing a Glock in my pocket either! A DA with a longer trigger pull, yes...that I will do (in a holster - same for my J-frame).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

2552 Posts

Posted - March 15 2012 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never have owned a Mustang or the SIG, I can't get that excited about .380s or small automatics in a pocket.

I have carried Kahrs and a G26 in a front pocket with no drama

the only gun I've ever seen go off in a pocket was a j-frame but that was more the owner than the gun

Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
518 Posts

Posted - March 16 2012 :  08:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too avoid cocked and locked for pocket carry. When the Colt 380's came out I bought a Pony for just that reason; the DAO design of that one made it great for pocket carry. I still regret selling it when I was short of cash; although heavy for it's size, it was a sweet little pocket gun.

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Vanman

USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  10:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are starting to be available. Now the year wait begins.
Go to Top of Page

buck

939 Posts

Posted - June 02 2012 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might get 2. One for the front pocket and one for the off side rear pocket.
In pocket holsters of course. Then extra mags work for either gun.
I'll wait awhile and let them sort the bugs out.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32516 Posts

Posted - June 02 2012 :  10:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When God inspired some one to make the 1st pocket holster He whispered in their ear-"J frame."

I've got a clear coated Smith 442 with brown cylinder and black frame. I didn't buy it for the colors. I bought it cause it was cheap-$375, came with an iwb holster and has the nicest action I've never seen on a J frame. It loves (in this order) DPX, Buffalo Bore 158gr lead hp and Speer 135 grain Gold dot.

I love standing there looking old and confused (neither are an act), with my hand wrapped arounf my 442 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

The great thing about being old with partially gray hair is that no one gives me a second look.

AS Randy would say, "I'm fixing to launch some major mayhem".

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
4485 Posts

Posted - June 02 2012 :  12:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My S&W Model 642 purchased in 1998 has been rode hard, and gone bang every time. While some may give a scorned look at "Only 5 rounds" I am, sure most have never fired that many rounds in self defense or anger.
Reading articles as a rookie in 1989 and early 1990 (I think that Evan person wrote a few of those) sold the idea and have been carrying one every since March 1990. My first was a Charter and then a Taurus and now with a couple of smith snubbies in the safe minus at least one (On my person) I never worry about the "Only 5 rounds" since a larger handgun is also with me. Loaded with Federal's Nyclads I know how they will print on a target, and how they have performed in a water tank at the crime lab, in Deer that were injured and had to be humanely put down, and in other water test. While people are not the same as jello, I still put my trust into "J" for a backup...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1141 Posts

Posted - June 03 2012 :  02:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I'm with you on this.

I've tried to make a few different autopistols work in a pocket, but always came back to the J-frame instead. Nothing else seems to work as well in a pocket holster.

There's something about the cylinder and rounded surfaces of the J-frame that position it "just right" in a pocket and allow you to get your hand on it quickly. With the flat autopistols I tried, you had to work to get a grip on them. I think that's because they carry so close to the body, with no gap. But with the J-frame, there's a natural gap between the grip and the body that seems to make all the difference--it's like there's a magnet on it and your hand just gets magically guided to the right place.

I'd be lying if I said the J-frame was easier to shoot than the autopistols, but it carries well, doesn't seem to print as much, provides a high level of safety due to the DA trigger, is powerful, and is more reliable than any of the pocket-sized autos I've seen and worked with. I don't think there's a better pocket gun.

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

780 Posts

Posted - June 03 2012 :  5:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shoot various autos better than revolvers and that is why over the years I have gone all auto. The ability to shoot from your pocket has always attracted me to revolvers but so far I'm still all auto. I don't know. Accuracy vrs. Ability to make contact shots or fire from pocket.
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3384 Posts

Posted - June 04 2012 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my J Frame, but after shooting it side by side with the M&P Shield (also a potential pocket gun) I remembered why I consider J Frames mostly for "spitting distance". I have a lot harder time getting good hits from the 25 yd line with a DAO revolver than I do with my semi-autos.
I should probably have the trigger worked on, my current 442 is STIFF !!

That being said, the J Frame has a lot of positives going for it (as mentioned above)... I will always keep both in the arsenal.
But I certainly prefer shooting a semi-auto.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Edited by - Slick on June 04 2012 09:50:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
570 Posts

Posted - June 04 2012 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little article about the 938 in July issue of G & A.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.26seconds. Snitz Forums 2000