Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Taurus Circut Judge for ladies
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Taurus Circut Judge for ladies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  5:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While at wallyworld I saw one being shown to a man. I was asked by the clerk if this was a good choice for a lady to have loaded with buckshot for a older lady. I told them I really could not say, but it looked nice.
Thoughts? Could it work for a older woman or useless? Thanks for any replies...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trigger pull on the one's I've tried have been heavy and uneven.

frankly, I wouldn't own one.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  6:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my brother bought one for his wife, testing it with buckshot and various "self defense".410 ammo we thought it was mostly useless.

patterned terribly and wasn't much good beyond a few feet in our view. his was somewhat useable with .45 Colt ammo if you want an oversized 5 shot .45 with mediocre accuracy.

the one good thing, it was easy to resell, seems everyone wants one.

I'ld get grandma a .410 pump if she wants a small shotgun

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the more I see of Taurus the less I like. I dislike the balance or lack of, in the Judge. As gw states they sure are popular. Regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I hope the man does not get one...Hate to see money spent in a unwise manner on such a serious issue.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1036 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  7:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the stainless steel, expensive long bbl model. It was a hunk of junk. At 15 yds off a bench rest it would shoot a pattern the size of a basketball with any brand of .45 Colt I tried in it. It is bulky, awkward, and heavy. For self protection, ANY reliable semi-automatic handgun of any caliber from 9mm to .45 ACP would provide more reliable security than the Taurus Judge. If the older woman can't work the slide on a semi-auto, tell her to get a .38 special six shooter and learn how to use it with +P ammo and she will be better off.
Go to Top of Page

BobK
Advanced Member

USA
1983 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Local gunshop ordered and recieved 10 of them.8 went back to Taurus for repairs.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1758 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  9:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Taurus Judge is my favorite defensive handgun...to disparage. A co-worker brought one out to the range the other day. Recoil is stout and its effectiveness is questionable, as far as I'm concerned. The three pellet groups were anywhere from 8-12 inches at five yards.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

sheepdog
Average Member

382 Posts

Posted - November 23 2011 :  11:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...for a youth or lady as home defense, you'd be hard pressed to top a .20 ga. youth model pump in a good brand...cut the barrel to 18 1/2 and snap on a Raybar-type front sight...easily handled by all but the most frail...plenty of power...

....410 is marginal for anti-personnel use...when the plan is to STOP hostile activity, you need a bit more punch...
...I think all the Judges are of the Federal quality...nuff said...
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner

USA
818 Posts

Posted - November 27 2011 :  11:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see much realistic use for one. For snakes, any of the revolver or pistol shot loads would work as well at the distance one would normally be shooting a snake. For SD, it would rank near the bottom of my list of guns to carry. It sure does have a lot of appeal to the uninformed who see it as some sort of hand cannon.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus..... Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5046 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  12:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Judge is one of the saddest successful marketing ploys ever foisted on the gun crowd. Too many stories of their drawbacks to print in a book. The most common I hear is lack of penetration by shot-shells (as in five feet from a water-filled plastic pop bottle, two or three or four pellets make it inside). Not even a good rabbit gun. .410 in any configuration is not a viable load for self-defense purposes, and the gimmick loads with little 'discs' and a couple of pieces of shot, or three or four buckshot pellets, belong in the same glass case with the Judge--a display of stupid ideas. (I'm not a fan, can you tell?)

If a .410 is the heaviest shotgun one can handle for defensive purposes, one would be better served with a .30 Carbine--better ballistics, a lot more rounds available, and recoil at a level virtually identical to, if not less than, a .410.

There's $.02 worth, spend it as you will. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - November 28 2011 :  2:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll add my 2 cents as well. A good quality new or used revolver loaded with a good .38 spl. JHP load like CorBon DPX might be the ticket for an elderly lady. Simplicity and not alot of bells and whistles.

For a home shotgun, again simplicity. A youth model size 20 ga. double barrel. Easy to load and unload and eliminates the short stroke or jam factor.

Add to this some good basic training and shooting skills and an elderly lady could be far from defenseless. The training and shooting skills along with proper mindset need to be part of the whole package.

Edited by - Pitbull on November 28 2011 2:07:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - December 02 2011 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Judge would be just as good for a woman as for a guy. If you just had to use a .410 for SD , this would make those Mossberg .410s with the front pistol grips, and funny looking muzzle thing seem worthwhile by comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
598 Posts

Posted - December 05 2011 :  1:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am with all of you, I think the Judge is one of the dumbest ideas to ever come down the firearms pike. That being said I wish I had thought of it, because Taurus is making a ton of money on that dog. Why the ignorant think that it becomes the equivalent of a 12 GA shotgun mystifies me. I had a friend who thinks he is a gun guy but is really just a survivalist with too much money and not enough sense extoll its wonder to me. This is the same idiot who always disparaged the 9mm. I told him that the ballistics of his .410 buckshot load compare to 32ACP ball. I said so you are willingly carrying a 20-shot 32acp and counting on triple-tapping each target? To which he said, well I can load it with 45 colt! And I replied, well then get an N-frame, you get an extra shot and it doesn't look like garbage. He gave up, as i obviously didn't "get it." Proof positive that a fool and his money are willingly parted.

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Reloader
Average Member

375 Posts

Posted - December 05 2011 :  4:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should come with a little red wagon for a holster..as dumb in my opinion as the 2" S&W 500 magnum.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NRA Pistol Instructor
Amateur License KE5LDO
ARRL, W5YI Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Instructor

When Xerxes, commander of the Persian army, 50,000 strong, demanded that Leonidas, the King of Sparta, and his 300 warriors, lay down their weapons and be saved, Leonidas Called back, "Molon Labe!" (Come and get them!")

Battle of Thermopylae
Go to Top of Page

rev.

946 Posts

Posted - December 26 2011 :  1:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine has one, and I found it fun to shoot, but then I find most anything that goes "bang" fun to shoot. But every time I start to get the itch to have one of my own, I read what you guys have to say and get cured, at least for a while, and then I have to read your thoughts over again.....thanks!
rev.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - December 26 2011 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a neighbor that purchased a S&W"Governor" that Was fortunate enough to shoot. thought it was a piece of crud, and horribly inaccurate. my older brother wants to sell his SIG 226 to get himself a "Judge", frankly, I think he's making a horrible mistake.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well one of them could make an interesting mini shotgun .... if you went NFA, smoothbore, little bit of jug choking, and then you might extend the useful range as a rat gun to the better part of 50 feet.

But the primary redeming factor is that these .45/.410s have stimulated a new generation of defensive .45LC bullets/ loaded rounds ( Gold Dot, PDX ). Of course I'd be using them in a BlackHawk 3.5in , but still.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.78seconds. Snitz Forums 2000