Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Handgun for 80 yr. old
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Handgun for 80 yr. old
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  10:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. First time post after many years of reading on this great site. I have a 80 year old mother that has expressed a real intrest in carrying. She is very fit and stronger than one would think, she is often thought to be in her fifties. That said I wondering what might be most appropriate for her. She likes the feel and trigger of my p40 but I'm not giving that little guy up. Besides I don't want to beat her up to much with recoil. By the way she is an expirienced shooter, just not a handgunner. Any opinions would be very much welcome.

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4364 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brings up the interesting question of carry-weight vs. recoil.

Do you point her towards a steel-framed gun, that's heavy to carry but easier to shoot (due to less perceived recoil)? Or towards a polymer-framed gun that's easier to carry due to its light weight, but kicks more when she pulls the trigger?

Maybe the best option, if possible, would be to borrow a wide range of guns for her to try out and let her make the final call?

In any case: GOOD FOR HER!

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on March 22 2011 10:33:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  10:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcom aboard!

After 40+yrs of marriage my wife decided to get her ccw-I was so convinced I "knew" what she wanted I bought her a Glock 26 with night sights, Aftter about 5 rnds thru the Glock she sat it down and shot my Smith 640-that was the I saw it though she's allows supervised visitation when I get to clean it.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  11:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the others, let her shoot a few different ones, then let her choose. It will be cheaper in the long run.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  12:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is a trade off ,weight vs. Recoil. I just want her to carry something acquit for the purpose. Evan, thanks for the welcome and thanks for this wonderful forum. There is so much useful information. As for guessing what any woman want, well I have long since given that up. Only one shop in town were you can try before you buy. Hopefully she won't get talked into something marginal, like a 32 auto. But that's just my opinion
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say she likes the 'feel' of your p40--does that mean she shoots it well, or she has just held it and likes it? If she likes to shoot it, and can handle it, I'd say give her yours and buy yourself a new one; or buy her one just like it. Otherwise, I go with the 'let her try several and pick the one she likes best' crowd. In any case, good for her to be thinking the right way. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  2:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has just held it and dry fired some worked the action and so on but not shot it. Looks like we need to take a trip to the gun shop and see what she likes . Maybe if she wants she can shoot my gun. If she likes it that's ok with me. I just know that after a box or two it has my hands buzzing . Guess I'm just looking out for her. Need to let her make her own mind up . Thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  4:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kahr or kel tec?

If Kahr I would get her a K9 or P9, Kel Tec would have her try PF9.
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - March 22 2011 :  4:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that to. as long as she likes and shoots well with it that's about all I can ask
Go to Top of Page

DNSeely

804 Posts

Posted - April 10 2011 :  10:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, just got back from shooting and I must say I am proud of my mom. She's got her new cw9 and she's shooting it well for a beginning handgunner. Needs more practice of course . But who doesn't ? Thanks for the input guys .
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - April 11 2011 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great=keep us updated

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Biggfoot44
Advanced Member

2233 Posts

Posted - April 16 2011 :  12:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great !
In general age is just a number. Hand, arm, shoulder strength, old injuries , arthritus combined are the limiting parameters for anyone far enough over 21 to matter.
Go to Top of Page

NE450No2
Average Member

459 Posts

Posted - September 01 2011 :  7:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take a look at a 2" S&W Ladysmith revolver in 38 Special, or any S&W 38 that has its action slicked up a little.

Once upon a time a buddy of mine asked me to teach his Mother how to shoot a gun he had bought her.
It was a Berretta 22 LR DA auto. The gun shjot grreat, but as it was a semiauto it was kinda complicated for a nonshooter.

I let her shoot my S&W Bodyguard Airweight, she loved it...

So he bought her one of them.

Revolvers, most simple, most reliable...
Go to Top of Page

Scout.308
Advanced Member

1083 Posts

Posted - February 21 2013 :  6:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recover, 1.75" OK, 3-4" much better, .38Spcl.
Adequate, simple, controllable. All after much practice with .22, first.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
– George Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000