Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Old Corbon 110 gr +P+ .38 Spl
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Old Corbon 110 gr +P+ .38 Spl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
283 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was going through some stored ammo from my P.D. days and found a couple hundred rounds of Corbon's old 1300 fps .38 JHP with the exposed lead nose....looks like the old Super Vel bullet. I bought it when I couldn't get the Corbon 115 gr +P+ round. It's been stored between 45 & 85 degrees F. for some 10 years. It has a little oxidation on the lead time, but I wiped it off with a single swipe of an old T-shirt.

Does anyone know why it was taken off the market? Is it safe to shoot in steel K Frames and the .357 LCR? Did it stop people when they were hit with it, (etc.)

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
~Samuel Adams

Evan
Administrator

32442 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Shoval of CB is here on a regular basis and he can anwser

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

haywood
Average Member

344 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shot some of that out of my 442. I have shot 357 rounds that were easier to control.
Go to Top of Page

XTrooper
Average Member

USA
268 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  6:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super Vel used the old Sierra JHC bullet. Cor-Bon may have used the same bullet back then. If I had to guess why it went away, I'd say because these bullets proved to be highly frangible when pushed. I once had to shoot through the windshield of a car driven by a kidnapper with our then issued Speer 110gr JHP .38 Special +P ammo and the bullet completely came apart.

Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/91)
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA
NRA-Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor

Edited by - XTrooper on March 06 2011 6:13:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32442 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  7:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super Vel was loded by Federal.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

RandyB45
Advanced Member

2317 Posts

Posted - March 06 2011 :  8:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by haywood

I shot some of that out of my 442. I have shot 357 rounds that were easier to control.

It's a bit like the old Treasury Load. Wheeee! I'm not recoil sensitive, but the blast would singe your eyebrows.

I'm not sure I'd trust it much. Too little, too fast.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 :  02:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ralph,

The original 110+P+ from Corbon was 1300 fps, and they later changed it to 1250 fps.

As you said, the +P+ version is gone now, replaced by a +P rated at 1050 fps.

Once upon a time, I had a revolver whose cylinder bound up when the primer from the 1300 fps +P+ flowed back into the firing pin hole / bushing. I think the 1300 fps load was a little too much of a good thing.

Not sure why the +P+ load disappeared entirely, though. Would be interested to hear from Mike Shovel on the subject.

I do know that the 115 grain load was replaced by the 110 grain load to take advantage of .38 caliber bullets instead of the 9mm caliber bullets used in the 115 grain load. Apparently somebody thought there was an accuracy issue attributed to the .355" bullets?

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

XTrooper
Average Member

USA
268 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 :  06:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Super Vel was loded by Federal.

I should have specified I was speaking of the H&H Cartridge Corp. reincarnated Super Vel of the last 70's. They used Sierra bullets.

I still have a full box of .357 Magnum 110gr JHC ammo from them.

Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/91)
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA
NRA-Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
661 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 :  08:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We dropped the +P+ loading because it wasn't any better than the same bullet loaded to +P pressures. Most people that carry snub's carry J frame size, not K or L frame. The smaller revolvers were never approved for +P+ ammunition, so we just backed it down to +P.

Believe it or not, this is very much a customer's needs/wants based industry. If the customer complains enough about something, it will be changed. After numerous calls about not being able to use our 38 Spl ammo in their guns, we changed it!

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
283 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Any reason not to use it for self-defense in blue steel K Frame .38 or .357 in the limited quantity that I have (200) rounds til expended?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
~Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - March 08 2011 :  03:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not Mike Shovel, but there is no reason not to use it in the .357 K Frame. The pressures are high for .38 Spl, but still below .357 pressures.

In a limited amount of 200 rounds, it should be OK in the .38 Spl K frame, depending on how old it is (heat treating in the earlier .38 Spl K frames was not as good as later versions). Anything from 80s and beyond should be no sweat, before that it is less certain, based on CHP's experience with .38 K's and Winchester 110 +P+ (which is more mild than the CorBon +P+).

V/R
Mike
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
661 Posts

Posted - March 08 2011 :  07:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
CW2,

Ten Driver said it better than I could.

Thanks

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly